NE5534A end of life announced

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The LM4562 of course has 12dB more current noise than the NE5534A and the issues with high susceptibility to RFI, no production testing for noise (with large variation by all accounts).
Ah... That's not entirely true. Voltage noise is tested in production as noted in the data sheet. Keep in mind that the spec table in the data sheet is a binding agreement between TI and the customer. If a number is in the 'limit' or min/max column it is measured in production.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.16.55.png

Current noise is not tested from what I can tell. If you're concerned with current noise, the LM4562 would not be your first choice anyway. The OPA1642 would be better, as mentioned earlier.

Tom

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
NE5534(A) is not EOL like Rupert Neve is.
LOL <snort>

It does appear the NE5534, NE5534A, SA5534, and SA5534A are all on lifetime buy. At least that's what I see both at Mouser and TI.

TI refers to the TLV9361/9362/9364 as a replacement for the NE5534. It does indeed look like that family has even lower current noise but the voltage noise is a smidge higher.

Tom

Ah... That's not entirely true. Voltage noise is tested in production as noted in the data sheet. Keep in mind that the spec table in the data sheet is a binding agreement between TI and the customer. If a number is in the 'limit' or min/max column it is measured in production.

View attachment 1238452

Current noise is not tested from what I can tell. If you're concerned with current noise, the LM4562 would not be your first choice anyway. The OPA1642 would be better, as mentioned earlier.

Tom
You didn't read footnote (4) - you don't get far in datasheet land by ignoring a footnote, the bad news is hidden there....
(4) Tested limits are specified to AOQL (Average Outgoing Quality Level).
Which basically means its statistically sampled, not tested for every die.

There have been several threads here about how a significant proportion of LM4562's have abnormally high 1/f noise (with popcorn noise), again evidence that noise is not tested on every die (it takes maybe minutes to screen for 1/f noise so its a production expense they don't want to have)

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...pcorn-noise-current-situation-in-2023.396751/

Reactions: 1 user
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You didn't read footnote (4)
Ugh... Yeah. That's for pointing that out. There's been a big push in the industry to reduce cost by reducing testing. Guaranteed by design = guaranteed by simulation = cheap.

I'm quite aware of the popping corn LM4562. I've gone through a few reels of them now and have seen popcorn noise on occasion. Most of them have been well-behaved in my experience, though.

Tom