NE5534A end of life announced

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Because of the noise shaping by the RIAA EQ amplifier, you can do slightly better with an OPA1641/2 than a NE5534A and you get better RFI to boot. The SNR figures below are the absolute best case for a standard RIAA EQ amp with a cart of 1000 Ohms and 500 mH, 47k load and 125pF input capacitance (c 1.5-2m interconnect cable from T/T to phono amp). The gain setting resistor for these results was set at 110 Ohms (which is what the X-Altra MC/MM used but with paralleled LSK389/JFE2140 devices for the MM stage).

Of course, the OPA164x devices are a lot more expensive.

Data below from the Hifisonix RIAA noise calculator you can find here https://hifisonix.com/preamplifiers/so-just-how-quiet-is-your-phono-stage/

View attachment 1234909
I just realised I should have said there’s nothing in practical terms between a 5534A and a OPA1641 - the 5534A is about 0.5 dB better. Neither here nor there in my book.
:)

A pity regarding the end of the 5534; just a piece of history; it was Rupert Neve (dec) as a the Prof. Audio engineer who gets the inventive claim for the device way back in the early 1970´s, and his recording consoles were full of them. The ic rights sold to Signetics, and many other manufacturers copied the device.
Times have moved on, now with quieter fet front ends and better manufacturing screening than those early years, however the ic with an appropriate PNP low noise array on the input pins, the ic can match the theoretical noise of a 50 ohm resistor. Just right for those moving coil pickup´s. The performance is there. Buy´em up!
BB

Mouser say "Scheduled for obsolescence and WILL be discontinued by the manufacturer."

Digikey say: "Once available stock of this product has been depleted, manufacturer standard package and lead time will apply.
Last Time Buy Date: 24/10/2567"

IMHO, the 5534 die size is relatively big while its profit margin is very low. Not to mention that its demand from the market has been shrinking a lot. Business-wise it quite makes sense to me if the 5534 (in all packages) is to be discontinued, and use those silicon/wafer for something else that provide more profit.

If you like 5534 (as I do) or have plan to use it in near future, buy them while it still lasts.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The final page of the datasheet on TI's website:

ti_website-png.1234210

Me think same applies to TL072
The noise of the TL072 group circa 18 nV/√Hz (typ) at f = 1 kHz is not a cliff-drop when compared to the 5534A (4 nV/√Hz).
There are numerous very low noise types on the market perhaps cost more, but at that time in 1980´s the Siliconix design catalogue of 1983 AN81-3 (composite op amp) which uses a 5534 and discrete Jfets. That very concept is in many current devices. https://www.ka-electronics.com/imag...gh_Performance_Siliconix_AN81-3_July_1983.pdf

BB

The noise of the TL072 group circa 18 nV/√Hz (typ) at f = 1 kHz is not a cliff-drop when compared to the 5534A (4 nV/√Hz).
There are numerous very low noise types on the market perhaps cost more, but at that time in 1980´s the Siliconix design catalogue of 1983 AN81-3 (composite op amp) which uses a 5534 and discrete Jfets. That very concept is in many current devices. https://www.ka-electronics.com/imag...gh_Performance_Siliconix_AN81-3_July_1983.pdf

BB
I am well aware of these noise figures. Did this for decades. That was not my point. My point was that using a discrete input stage makes this one noise dominant and tells quite little about the following pre-amp.