NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on eBay

I have a nice photo in post #3 here: TGM10 - based on NAIM by Julian Vereker. There are plenty out there on the 'net'.

You can see the pcb traces, it's single sided. You can see the colour coding of the resistors too. And if you add in some tid bits from other sources and start with one of the clone schematics as a baseline you'll have yourself a reverse engineered schematic of a NAP 110 which is for all intents a NAP 140.

There's a NAP 250 image in post #19.

Of course Naim will have made a few adjustments over the years too.

Last edited:
If you want to be sure you have the original sound or if you're going to lose sleep because people you never met say your clone can't possibly sound like the real unit then it's best to go and find and buy an original amplifier...
Charmed I'm sure. :p No, you make a fair point. :)
I am so fussy about my audio system that I feel compelled to warn people they probably won't get a true clone Naim from a "Naim clone"...because I would be disappointed...but I'm really fussy. I am not normal. Realistic expectations.

It's never too late :)
I don't have any need to build a Naim clone. My own designs are more sophisticated than Naim's; to be fair they have manufacturing and cost constraints that I do not (caveat: I have not heard The Statement or reverse engineered it - I'm not Mark Zuckerberg incognito!).

I don't see The Statement appearing on eBay as a pcb set anytime soon

Attachments

• 10454338_10152578066748618_8667021562584869492_n.jpg
    10454338_10152578066748618_8667021562584869492_n.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 414
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wow, those heatsinks must have cost a small fortune to cast and polish. Lookit all the rough-and-ready polystyrene foil caps! Do we know just how many individual amplifiers are used to make up the 1450W/4R rating?

I can imagine someone trying to profit by selling just one amp from the array as a $25 kit of jellybean parts.

DiyAudio store exclusive?
I count 4 boards that could be amplifiers and 2 that could be psu regulators. There is a voltage gain board mounted horizontally on the top (not visible in the photo).
What do you think: the amps are a bridge of two parallel pairs?

Attachments

• 6C2B7AD7-224A-41AB-8177-0F47D33A3988.jpeg
    6C2B7AD7-224A-41AB-8177-0F47D33A3988.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 376
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm not sure what those NA507 transistors are capable of, in their oversize TO218 format with apparently only 1 offset mounting bolt. It looks doubtful as an assembly method for high power but I know very little about present day engineering extremes or those custom semis. Are they another contribution from Semelab?

If you bridge and parallel four amplifiers capable of 400W each, I don't see why it shouldn't make the target reliably, knowing there will also be some carefully designed and effective load sharing circuitry and component matching that we don't hear about.

It may need an auditorium stacked with Focal's Grand Utopia boxes to make use of that massive thing though.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Interesting. 400W is huge! However, the junction to case thermal resistance is 0.32C/W so you would have to keep the case below 22C to keep the die from reaching 150C. Imagine trying to keep the metal tab at 22C while 400W flows through it. I know no one would run the thing at 400W continuously but fun thought.

Please excuse my ignorance, which capacitor is zobel ? as I see Tant or Polystyrene only? I have made 250 clone using NCC 200 clone boards by zerozone. It sounds no way near to my Original Nap 200. Reading this whole thread gave me an impression 140 sounds better, hence I opted for that. Would you recommend otherwise?
Is this what you built (see photo)?
Rather than finding a NAP140 kit why not improve your Zerozone?
I guess the Zerozone NCC200 is a clone of the Avondale NCC200 which is a hacked version of the Naim NAP250.
You can give it a fighting chance by replacing the cheap capacitors and undoing the Avondale mods.
Build yourself a good power supply. This does not need to be complicated, just good. Copy Naim. Use proper quality psu smoothing caps like BHC or Mundorf, 10000uF per rail is plenty. Use separate supplies for each board (a dual secondary transformer is fine).

Attachments

• 078EE3BA-C557-4F73-8E58-F3FB1276C472.jpg
    078EE3BA-C557-4F73-8E58-F3FB1276C472.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 329
I agree with all the very valid indications.

Selection of excellent passive components, with particular attention to the electrolytic capacitors mounted on the PCB and dual power supply.

On the contrary, I come to affirm that one can aspire to a sound and a musicality even more convincing and seductive than the original.

I'm not in the business of selling kits or promoting clones, but if you are looking for something that needs a bit more 'DIY' and want to learn about NAIM sound etc. rather than taking what you can find on eBay I have this: TGM10 - based on NAIM by Julian Vereker which is more or less a NAP clone with better engineered thermal control and I still have a spare pair of un-built PCBs.

Hi Bigun

I'm wondering if you still have the spare PCBs? I wouldn't mind comparing your creation against the zerozone clones that I've built.

Cheers