NAIM NAIT 2 DIY

Also I have Living Voice Avatar II speakers 94 db ( doubt it ) 6 Ohm 50Hz - 10Khz ( tweeter is 91dB and it can be heard)
The speakers I really use with Naim are 96db ( True ) 60Hz - 10 KHz ( limit of paper tweeter) Rehdeko RK-125-5s sitting in a corner of small bedroom . How big of Naim amp you want me to use ?

Good day
Dear Limono
Let try change in your flat cap power supply the all capacitors in regs and sound is change
Simple way for upgrade about 20$

Attachments

• IMG_7512.jpeg
    IMG_7512.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 47
Flatcap is not bad. You could improve with Qspeed or shottky diodes (see also here), replace main caps with Mundorf or Kemet slit foil, and put tants to the regs like in Naims upper versions (Kemet T356 or AVX TAP).

BTW I made a phono stage using NA32x cards: with the transformer in the same case it was impossible to sort the hum. Moving the transformer into an extra case was the only solution. The same was reported by several diyers.

And as I said: one of the reasons why the Hicap sounds as good as it does is because of the quiet 0V point between the caps and the fact that the preamps GND is connected to there.

Last edited:
Well, I will order parts for re- cap if anything to simply experience it myself. Slitfoils have additional legs requiring board modification correct ? For now I removed all traces of Naim from the test system and put SimAudio P5 preamp back driving Aloia amp (with choke loaded power supplies ) and the calm is back :)
I don't recall reading abut Naits humming with phono cards installed but I do recall a review of problem with hum with the outboard phono box.
All the best

Slit foil is available with screw terminals, snap in, 2pin, 4pin, 10mm pitch... Just check datasheet! But Mundorf sound better. Be careful with max height though: flatcap is flat ;-)

Phono cards hum only with transformer in same case!!! Many diyer experiences this. Hum with external case has other reasons...

That's a good news about slitfoils since I was under impression only four legged Kemet versions are slit foil type and the rest are regular style..
For those reading the thread and curious a FlatCap consists of around 100W toroid trans with two center tapped secondary windings . Each winding is arranged in full wave rectifier with two diodes scheme and center tap serving as a ground / negative terminal. It supposed to power two 5 series components a preamp section and CD player analogue sections . Each secondary serves one device. Preamp has 10k uF single cap following rectifier and string of two LM317 regs for 2x24V , CD section -4.7kuF cap with string of two LM317 regs supplying 2x+22V. If one does not care for re-sale value a close enough equivalent of Hi-Cap could be made employing each of the winding to supply separate +24v from a bridge hooked up in Naim fashion and 15k uF cap following it. The arrangement of output sockets would have to be changed with traces cut. Probably not worth the hassle since a used hi caps sell for $150- $200 more than FlatCaps

Nait 1,2 ,3 , Supernait 3 have phonostages inside and hum wasn't a big problem. I assume. I agree it's easier to build with separate power supply. Hum pickup in your enclosure was probably caused by layout issues. I got a Stage line N for $100 last week. Just to have a matching enclosure because everybody seem to unequivocally agree that it's a piece of s.

Don't Nait/Supernaits have different phono stages from the ones in 32/72? What layout could make such a loud hum? I moved the transformers around, and it was simply distance and separation by an extra case that cured hum. No changes in layout or earthing were needed.

However hum is only one example - there can be other more subtle influences from the transformer that they wanted to eleminate by putting them into separate cases...

BTW what do you mean with piece of s...?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It is,a good practice to have power supply in different box than phono stage but many exists with transformer in the same enclosure and they don't hum. It could be solved with different transformer, box or layout. Im just trying to say that separate box is not the only solution. If it works for you than its a good solution. I prefer MM stages with step up transformer to MC phono stages . I don't know what difference particular Naim board makes. Never heard any.
Seems like there are few people who like that stageline phono stage. I can't say since I haven't tried it yet.

Nait 1,2 ,3 , Supernait 3 have phonostages inside and hum wasn't a big problem. I assume. I agree it's easier to build with separate power supply. Hum pickup in your enclosure was probably caused by layout issues. I got a Stage line N for $100 last week. Just to have a matching enclosure because everybody seem to unequivocally agree that it's a piece of s.
You can try the NA/522, which sounds better than the Stage Line N. The card circuit board has better quality capacitors.

All parts in one box. There is no AC noise.

c110858d398542ac7fc50f113eb62eb.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I will evaluate original circuit and ways to improve upon it if possible. I have very good tube ( LCR) and SS phonostages and didn't need Naim unit..It's just a green logo attraction. Naim not my main source of interest. I was taken by Nait 3 sound in bedroom system as a slightly crude but valid alternative to DNM boxes and tube amps. All better sounding than Naim but it's not always about the beauty but also about something good enough and looking the way I like it. I'm kind of Johny ( too ) late come if it comes to this aesthetic but find the look of Olive outstanding. Black series is much less appealing but I bought cheaply CDS3 and felt compelled to get matching components. NAIT 5 is but a shade of Nait 3 but Supernait has some potential not to mention brushed front :) I will get my Pink Triangle TT running again and spray mismatched Linn Sara's to have that period system. Next step is to cut off the optocoupler in Supernait to see it that gets Supernait running without the need of dismantling:) I'm swamped in house remodeling job and don't have time to mingle with it. Also several gutted pieces of equipment to repair or finish.
Zincho , did you get the 555 board from Alliexpres?