• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition GB (eight run - v1.6 boards)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've updatad BOM and Mouser Projects with an alternate Mouser part, Nichicon ES which is colored too but without that 'bathroom' effect.

If mounted with the 'BP' side toward the LM3886 seem to work pretty nice.

I'll keep it mounted for the next days to fully burn-in the part, if it remains as is now it will be the new final Mouser cap for C9.

During the selection it has been the selected cap but was discarded since it has a slightly highlited midrange and KZ was more balanced (sigh!), now with the full burned-in KZ it's the contrary. :mad:

Please consider it temporary and if you didn't ordered already please wait a week, unless you already decided for an alternate C9.

I'll keep you informed, I'm really sorry about that.... :(

BTW some good news now.

Only 6 hours on and a single IsoTek pass, without the KZ the new BOM works really well, really balanced, open sounding and sweet at the same time.

And it continue to improve so far, we'll see in the next days :)

No need to apologize, at all!
Well, I'm still grabbin ideas for the boxing of this project (I've just seen something interesting in the build thread) so no probs for me!

EDIT:
About parts... I'm following the discussion in the build thread, hope it's not offtopic here.
I've seen many getting some "exotics" caps for C9 and C13. I'm not really into that (normally I use VCaps o ICEL, just a ClarityCap in a DCB1), but you think would be a nice combo on sigle vendor?

Last edited:
No need to apologize, at all!
Well, I'm still grabbin ideas for the boxing of this project (I've just seen something interesting in the build thread) so no probs for me!

EDIT:
About parts... I'm following the discussion in the build thread, hope it's not offtopic here.
I've seen many getting some "exotics" caps for C9 and C13. I'm not really into that (normally I use VCaps o ICEL, just a ClarityCap in a DCB1), but you think would be a nice combo on sigle vendor?

The amp will sound fantastic with the Mouser BOM but some 'exotic' parts will improve perceived performance further.

In the next weeks, as I did with the Mouser BOM, I will re-evaluate all upgrade parts to determine the most valuable ones or, eventually, change some of them.

I'm missing the 'single combo' thing... Can you elaborate?

It would be better to talk about it in the build thread, though.

The amp will sound fantastic with the Mouser BOM but some 'exotic' parts will improve perceived performance further.

In the next weeks, as I did with the Mouser BOM, I will re-evaluate all upgrade parts to determine the most valuable ones or, eventually, change some of them.
Ok, so I'll wait a bit more! :p Your work is invaluable, so it's a well worth waiting time - more to me whom I can't test almost no components. For example, I had to build an italian project (PrebbyHead HV on ApA forum) with Tyco/Neohm/TE connectiity MF resistors. Wish I had someone who told those are quite inadequate in signal path... :(
[/QUOTE]
I'm missing the 'single combo' thing... Can you elaborate?

It would be better to talk about it in the build thread, though.[/QUOTE]

Explained myself very badly. I mean some components I can get from a one only vendor/shop - but we'll talk about that on that thread.

Thanks again!

Ok, so I'll wait a bit more! :p Your work is invaluable, so it's a well worth waiting time - more to me whom I can't test almost no components.

Fine :)

For example, I had to build an italian project (PrebbyHead HV on ApA forum) with Tyco/Neohm/TE connectiity MF resistors. Wish I had someone who told those are quite inadequate in signal path... :(

Tyco resistors? Unbearable... they were in the offical BOM?

Explained myself very badly. I mean some components I can get from a one only vendor/shop - but we'll talk about that on that thread.

The FE BOM is already a one shop one (Mouser) with upgrades from a single other shop, Parts Connexion or HiFiCollective.

Sadly neither of the two stocks the Cerafine 220uf/50V for C9 so an ebay order (with free shipping) could be necessary.

I've recently discovered that Cerafine goes out of production around 2010... is there a conspiracy to EOL most transparent audio caps? :mad:

Thanks again!

You're welcome :)

Tyco resistors? Unbearable... they were in the offical BOM?
The original BOM just stated the values, not markings, so... I used what I normally use for "current". I'll try to desolder somes, but I hate having almost 20€uros in resistors I'll never use again :(
The FE BOM is already a one shop one (Mouser) with upgrades from a single other shop, Parts Connexion or HiFiCollective.
Really appreciate that! But I missed the upgrades from single shop... :warped:
Sadly neither of the two stocks the Cerafine 220uf/50V for C9 so an ebay order (with free shipping) could be necessary.

I've recently discovered that Cerafine goes out of production around 2010... is there a conspiracy to EOL most transparent audio caps? :mad:

You're welcome :)

Maybe they don't want us to DIY properly...! :(

hello everyone!
I was not part of the group buy for the My_Ref Fremen Edition GB, i am still interested to get a set from anyone who changed his mind.
And I wanted to ask if these 2 amps , "My Reference rev.C Power Amplifier " and "My_Ref Fremen Edition GB" are very different from each other.What i know is that they have pretty much the same schematic , correct me if i'm wrong.
I would like to ask about the r5 and r8, i know they should match , but can the be 22.1k 0.1%?
the same question about r6 and r9. Can they be 47.5k 0.1%?
i am starting buying the components for either one of them.
I could buy the rev c off the ebay as speaking,i would prefer the Fremen Edition , so ill wait a few more days maybe someone will decide to sell me one from the groupbuy.

thanks a lot.

...in tested phase, cabling and case not perfect :D... KZ/C9 and plays wonderfully already!
Thanks Dario

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    513 KB · Views: 148
I'm curious. Why did you leave out C21?

At the times of the original My_Ref Rev. C Russ White introduced C21 as suggested by Mauro Penasa as a 'possible' improvement.

Later most builders used Black Gates that didn't benefit from that bypass.

I've re-introduced C21 on Fremen Edition boards only from revision 1.2 as a way to 'fix' the lack of availability of BGs at decent prices but neved tested it.

This time I did and found that, while it adds a tiny bit more of cleaniness it somewhat messes up sound 'coherence'.

IMHO the damage was far greater than the advantage so I've ditched it.

From next revision it will be removed completely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.