• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition GB (14th GB)

I'm late but progressing

Just a quick update...

I'm late in the test build, last week has been busy preparing for the lockdown and assisting my brother sick at home (not COVID related) but work is progressing:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20201111_003008622_iOS.jpg
    20201111_003008622_iOS.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 399
  • WIN_20201110_23_12_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201110_23_12_52_Pro.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 403
This is really great news.
The Chinese finally got it right.

Yes, the main problem was that the supplier uses a chinese broker, too many passages increase errors possibility...

In the past, evaluating other suppliers, I've ordered directly from China without a single problem apart for the very cheap one used for the Beta boards.

Take your time Dario the family comes first.
We have all the time in the world and a lot of patience ;)

Tnx :)

Will there be a new BOM soon, or will everything stay the same except for R3?

I will publish the industrial one hopefully next week, apart R3 the previous BOM can be used, some other parts could change for availability reasons.

For instance the Nichicon Fine Golds have been replaced by other Nichicon audio caps (the blue ones).

Audiophiles alternates could change also, C13 for sure (it will probably be an Auricap XO but I'm still evaluating).

Attachments

• 20201114_131158929_iOS.jpg
    20201114_131158929_iOS.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Boards up and running!

I've finally populated the test boards:

attachment.php

attachment.php

As usual they worked from first power-up :)

Sadly I've destroyed my R12 Z-Foil during transplant, so I'm listenting with a R12 Susumu... still sounds fantastic, though. ;)

Next week I'll pack bare boards and ship them, the week after I'll start shipping populated boards.

Attachments

• 20201114_220118176_iOS.jpg
    20201114_220118176_iOS.jpg
    854.8 KB · Views: 478
  • 20201114_220151575_iOS.jpg
    20201114_220151575_iOS.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 470
Hi Dario,

I am putting together an order to PCX for another project to take advantage of their 25% sale. I already have the Mundorf and Isabellenhutte (Thanks, Pete!) R3's.

You already hinted at the Auricap XO C13. Should I pick those up while I am at it? Or maybe other parts?

I really don't want to rush your evaluations, but as you know, I'm willing to try a few alternatives. Speaking of that, I am planning on trying the Miflex KPAL in C13, although that fat cap is so big it will have to be mounted off board.

Hi Dario, I think Nichicon UKA is great, of which I still have many lying here.

I unsoldered MLytic power cap's from my Ref_C boards and I also have enough resistors,

Dale, Holco, PRP and Takman.

So far I have only bought the Amtrans capacitors, the LM3886, and the Mundorf MREU30.

I wait calmly and relaxed for the Fremen boards and continue to build my M3 in the

meantime.

And many, many thanks, Dario, for your efforts, your time, your strength and your nerves

that you put into this project to make a lot of users happy.

Lennart

I am putting together an order to PCX for another project to take advantage of their 25% sale.
(...)
Should I pick those up while I am at it? Or maybe other parts?
I really don't want to rush your evaluations, but as you know, I'm willing to try a few alternatives.
Hi Jac,
absolutely I would add the Auricap XO (these are the ones I'm evaluating), just a tiny bit fuller that the reference with a tiny bit less wide soundstage, if you're really willing to try other parts also Audyn KP Sn are very good ones, even more neutral but at the expense of harmonic richness (I would not bother, though...).
As I've said I'm still evaluating but the XOs are the most likely ones to be recommended.
Speaking of that, I am planning on trying the Miflex KPAL in C13, although that fat cap is so big it will have to be mounted off board.
They look interesting, I will read with interest your finding about them.
I've been largely disappointed by the Janzten Alumen, they sound fantastic in the high and midrange but lacks extension and punch in the low-end.
I unsoldered MLytic power cap's from my Ref_C boards and I also have enough resistors,
Dale, Holco, PRP and Takman.
Hi Lennart,
very good for the MLythics but none of those resistors should be used on the My_Ref FE if you want to listen it as it is intended to sound.
So far I have only bought the Amtrans capacitors, the LM3886, and the Mundorf MREU30.
Very good for the Amtrans and the MREUs, the last ones are a not small upgrade over the Isabellenhuettes.
Let's be clear, the Isabellenhuetts sounds really good and are a BIG upgrade over the Caddocks but are a bit bass heavy at the expense of the midrange.
The MREUs remove this limitation at 4 times the cost.
I think the Isabellenhuettes could be a good match with the Vishay smoothing caps of the industrial BOM but using the Mundorf MLythics (which also add some bass) I think MREUs are the way to go.
And many, many thanks, Dario, for your efforts, your time, your strength and your nerves that you put into this project to make a lot of users happy.
You're welcome :)

Last edited:
Why should none of the resistors mentioned be used?

Vishay Dale RN55 are even listed in the BOM ?!

I only spoke of the THT resistors, of course I would have to order everything else.

But now you've confused me a little Dario.

Sorry, I've missed Dales, obviously they're fine if same specs, I was referring to the other brands.

Nevertheless I suggest you to buy new also the Vishay-Dales following the BOM, unless you already bought the very same ones (TCR and tollerance).

The precision ones has also a (much lower) TCR which according my listening test means better sound for RN55s.