My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Thx. Going to read what is DR :)

Dynamic Range.

Take a look: DYNAMIC RANGE | pleasurize music!

An invaluable resource: DR Database

Can you say "MAMBO"? I'll have to come over there and teach you some new styles.

Sure it's a Mambo but played with too much Jazz in it, to the point it's not entertaining to dance.

So Dario, I will be on your case soon.:judge:

Do you have intention to start learning Salsa?

If so, good for you! :)

Well Mr. Inserra - I have to admit it is difficult for me to comprehend most of the elements in the "So Far Away" style. It's simply something my ear is not tuned to. There is just too much going on in what I hear as clutter

On the other hand - "Your Latest Trick" sounds top shelf - IMHO. What really jumped out at me is the rock solid stage placement.

So far away is useful for timbre and bass.

Your latest trick is great to evaluate detail, harshness, soundstage, musicality and intimacy.

If the trumped doesn't excites you there's something wrong in the system.

So you guys are all excited about using some MP3 stuff for test tracks?

Well, I use the remastered edition of the CD, not MP3...

Late night listening: layer upon layer of inner detail and spaciousness revealed. Tonality still a little bit sharp, but not really shrill. My primary source, Marantz SA-11S1, is out of commission, so I'm using old modded Sony DVP9000ES, and that might account for the slight sharpness.

Spot-on, the FE can be a bit sharp sometimes and, trust me or not, in part it's due to the TCs...

One thing I will add to Dario's recommendation of Dire Starits tracks for demo: "Brothers in Arms" is available as an SACD, and the sound is a world apart from redbook CD or even XRCD.

Sorry but I have to disagree...

While it's true that the SACD edition has, in theory, full resolution and it has been brilliantly remixed but it has been destroyed in its dynamic range... DR8

I say in theory because Brothers in arms has been recorded in 16bit resolution...

The best sounding one is, IMHO the first press (DR15) and second the remaster (DR12).

The XRCD version is, IMHO, one of worst with limited dynamic (DR10) and equalized with too much highs to impress...wasted money.

Whatever improvements you make to your source equipment, software or hardware, and your speakers, will only make it more apparent just how excellent these amplifiers really are. I feel they are the strongest link in my system, and that any critical listener hearing it for the first time would guess I spent many thousands of dollars on amplification alone.

Wow! It's a strong position.

I'm happy you like the FEs so much :)

Just have to chime in for "Latest Trick". It's been on my playlist for a couple of years now. Helped me decide to retain an old RSL speaker over a bigger Wharfedale. Cheap speakers but they're all I can afford at the moment. :)

May I also recommend Yes and Whisper by Morphine. They're sax tracks. I'm curious how you'd like them.

SACD listening

I did find several of these that I hadn't listened to critically. Some were imported automatically by JRiver and I just wasn't aware of the specific format.

The difference I hear is very similar to what most people say they like when moving from a Class AB amp to pure Class A amps. The sound, background and detail bring the word "clean" to mind. Still need more time to get a handle on dynamics and color. I'm looking for a few tracks I might have in both SACD and flac for direct comparison.

Don't want to get too wonky - but here are the data rate comparisons reported by the player. (translates to sound quality - roughly)

MP3 - 329 kbps
flac - 400 - 900 kbps
Ape - 654 + kbps
SACD - 5644 kbps

That's a big jump.

Thanks Tom for coaxing us to pay closer attention to our test material.:up:

Last edited:
For those wishing to do source format comparisons through the FE, the flac versions of SFA and YLT are now available in the test folder. You will need good bandwidth and/or time as they are much larger than the mp3 versions.

Data stream again:

SFA - mp3 = 256 kbps / flac = 3207 kbps

YLT - mp3 = 256 kbps / flac = 2832 kbps

We shouldn't wander too far away from the purpose of this thread, as much of my last two posts might better fit on a DAC thread. I posted as a positive response to the discussion from yesterday. It's a good thing if as many FE builders as possible have access to a few standard test tracks.

Hopefully the thread will have many new posts and questions from new members of the FE family. There were many more boards purchased than builds reported, so we all look forward hearing and seeing new members/builders come on-board.

So Far Away - flac

Your Latest Trick - flac

I know many have build the My_Ref FE and some were talking about preamps to try with it, like bcmbob had suggested the new JC-2 which btw is excellent!

But I just recently purchased an LDR3x from Tortuga Audio and was totally blown away with it. In my listening tests nothing comes even close to it. I have tested the LDR3x with friends over the weekend. I had connected the the My_Ref FE on the LDR passive preamp and my DAC playing just 16/44.1 material for a start (Jorane, TBM sounds, etc...) and was immediately seduced. I have a balanced DCB1 with high quality components, the new JC-2 Clone and SP-10 Clone and nothing comes close to this passive preamp!

Dario, you're very critics when it comes to sound so you should get one. The price is ridiculously low for something of this caliber. It really makes the My_Ref shine!

Ciao!
Do

Crossover Proximity?

So here is a question for everyone to comment upon.

Would you feel comfortable putting your FE board in close proximity to a passive speaker crossover that contains coils? My reason for thinking about this is that I am reconfiguring my speaker crossover with larger components needed and I will have to repackage the crossover. Since I am planning on individual monoblocks sitting close to the speakers, it occurred to me that I could put the FE in the same box as the crossover. But I am worried about the inductive field from the coils having an effect on the amplifier and it's wiring.

Any thoughts?

I haven't used any yet, but it sounds like the Mu metal people mention might create the isolation needed. Don't know. I have never had interference problems with MyRefs, but the BrianGTs pick up almost anything.

Here is a link to a similar approach for the speakers I'm using. The crossover box is near the bottom of the post.

B&Js Sunfolwers.

Last edited:
I know many have build the My_Ref FE and some were talking about preamps to try with it, like bcmbob had suggested the new JC-2 which btw is excellent!

But I just recently purchased an LDR3x from Tortuga Audio and was totally blown away with it. In my listening tests nothing comes even close to it. I have tested the LDR3x with friends over the weekend. I had connected the the My_Ref FE on the LDR passive preamp and my DAC playing just 16/44.1 material for a start (Jorane, TBM sounds, etc...) and was immediately seduced. I have a balanced DCB1 with high quality components, the new JC-2 Clone and SP-10 Clone and nothing comes close to this passive preamp!

Dario, you're very critics when it comes to sound so you should get one. The price is ridiculously low for something of this caliber. It really makes the My_Ref shine!

Ciao!
Do
I totally agree with you!
I have tried JC-2, Aikido and a lm318 preamp(actually the best active) but passive LDR is the best!
Grain free, let all the ambience clues get through, tonally absolutely neutral and no noise.
It is not the sophisticated remoted controlled LDR3x but an ordinary DIY version of Light Speed I use.
The biggest problem is --- No gain!
If you need gain that is...:D

Koldby

Can someone please tell me what gain the FE has and how to lower it if I need to?

I am using a JC-2 clone with my current LM3886 chip amp and I will want to use it with the FE when I get it built. I have the usual problem of it going too loud too fast with only a few degrees movement of the volume pot so if I can pre-order a few choices of resistors to vary the gain in the FE, it would help save hassle later. Apologies if this has been covered already, my internet is slow and makes trawling through posts frustrating.

If you are using a computer as your source just lower the output on the player. The value of the pot on the JC-2 might also be the source of your problem. My JC-2 has the Dact Type 21 pot from ebay with the FEs and it is fully functional with both computer and hardware sources.

Hi Bob, funny you should say that. I have just fitted a DACT miniature stepped 20K pot. I had a Tocos pot fitted but the channels were not well enough matched. I use a PC netbook for digital and have had to turn the volume down below halfway on it, not sure if that's a good thing or not going by some of the negative comments about PC volume controls I have read online. The thing is I also have a turntable which I can't reduce the output from although I could probably fit another pot somewhere, possibly inside the preamp case permanently set at about half volume. If I can't lower the sensitivity of the FE then that's probably what i'll do. I like what the JC-2 does for the chip amp I'm using just now, it gives the bass a nice boost and takes that slight edge off the treble. I have some more of those DACT pots in my parts bin but they are 10K and 100K, probably not suitable but I might try a 100K one.

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me what gain the FE has and how to lower it if I need to?

Gain can be modified using R7 and R12 (Gain = 1+ (R7/R12) = 31dB) but doing it would require adjustments to compensation nets, not an easy task.

I am using a JC-2 clone with my current LM3886 chip amp and I will want to use it with the FE when I get it built. I have the usual problem of it going too loud too fast with only a few degrees movement of the volume pot

Your problem has a simple solution... don't use a pre with gain but a buffer instead or even a simple 10K pot... the My_Ref does not need a pre or a buffer at all.

Thanks Dario, I'll leave the gain setting as it is, my current chip amp has a gain of 33dB so your version of the My Ref will probably be better with my active pre. I will try both passive and active pre amp's to see which one suits my system the best. If I prefer the JC-2 I might fit another pot to balance out the volume between my phono stage and DAC. Need to build the new power amp first though so I am probably getting ahead of myself a bit here :D

Last edited:
Gain can be modified............ but doing it would require adjustments to compensation nets, not an easy task...........
VERY Important !

.............If I prefer the JC-2 I might fit another pot to balance out the volume between my phono stage and DAC..............
How can you ignore the "fact" that your preferred pre does not allow you to easily select your required volume?
Poor ease of use would, in my book, place it as the least preferred pre !!!!!!!

Last edited:
''How can you ignore the "fact" that your preferred pre does not allow you to easily select your required volume?
Poor ease of use would, in my book, place it as the least preferred pre !!!!!!! ''

Fair point and I've found that a I've preferred the following with the FE:

In order of preference;)

1) OP direct from Buffalo 3 using the DAC’S internal Volume control.
2) TVC pre
3) DCB1
4) JC-2
the top three in my set up are all passives.:D
but that's just my take on things and Bob has another
equally valid opinion.:)
each to their own IMHO
Maybe best to keep an open mind and try lots of options until the right one is found.:cheerful:
Yup ears must be the guide.:cheers: