My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Is there any way to quantify the differences if any between capacitors of the same value? If these differences are present and audible there must be a way of testing and assigning a value to these differences. It seems that the vocabulary for describing these differences is like describing the difference in wine. The flavors are different to me, but to science it is made of grapes and is 12% alcohol (I know, bad comparison). Is there a piece of test equipment that could be used to identify what happens to the signal as it passes through these different caps that causes this change? Is there any measure that is not purely subjective?

Is there any way to quantify the differences if any between capacitors of the same value? If these differences are present and audible there must be a way of testing and assigning a value to these differences. It seems that the vocabulary for describing these differences is like describing the difference in wine. The flavors are different to me, but to science it is made of grapes and is 12% alcohol (I know, bad comparison). Is there a piece of test equipment that could be used to identify what happens to the signal as it passes through these different caps that causes this change? Is there any measure that is not purely subjective?

Not sure you want to go there. There is a wall between the purist/scientific crowd and those of us who lean more toward the artistic result. I would suggest we don't go there on this thread - but here is an example of how the conversation has degenerated over and over again, no matter where it starts.;)

1,00,000uf total psu cap for good bass?

I hear you SoIL4x4. Sadly, or unfortunately, most all the results of mods suggested on these forums are measured subjectively - especially when it comes to parts swapping. I've been trying to discuss this ever since I joined, but no ones seems interested in a quantitative and measurable approach to what the components actually do to the sound. Sure there are a few DIY'ers who can measure the results on a scope, but in the final analysis it usually comes down to a more subjective opinion on the outcome. My theory is... Great specs can never make something sound bad. It's a constant debate between the Objectivists vs the Subjectivists. :D I now take ALL subjective comments and opinions with a grain of salt.

Sorry Bob. I went there before I saw your post. I'm not really trying to start up the debate here. :)

Last edited:
Not a problem redjr. I'm as interested as anyone in some sort of lab/science pursuit on the topic . I just happens to be one of those subjects that seems to always derail the flow of progress in a thread and become very personal. I think it's really unfortunate, but I've been there three times and Like Carly Simon sings "Haven't Got Room/Time For The Pain" :violin:

Once I empirically resolve the chicken or the egg thing, I'll be prepared to re-enter the fray. :D

Last edited:
Not a problem redjr. I'm as interested as anyone in some sort of lab/science pursuit on the topic . I just happens to be one of those subjects that seems to always derail the flow of progress in a thread and become very personal. I think it's really unfortunate, but I've been there three times and Like Carly Simon sings "Haven't Got Room/Time For The Pain" :violin:

Once I empirically resolve the chicken or the egg thing, I'll be prepared to re-enter the fray. :D
Hi Bob,

You don't derail the flow... I always follow your comments with great interest. They're very informative. There are a couple of threads that discuss this topic ad nauseam so there's no point pursuing it here too! :D

Rick

no ones seems interested in a quantitative and measurable approach to what the components actually do to the sound. :)

I don't want to stir this up either, but I can't help adding one thought.

I think there are good scientific reasons for one component sounding different from another. There may be a good way to measure and predict those differences, I just don't know it. The problem is that audio involves human perception and the human is a very unpredictable component of the system.

I can tell you that, in a careful back-to-back evaluation, I can hear subjective differences in sound between capacitors, for example. I can theorize on the physics behind these differences. At the moment, I don't have the ability to measure the difference, but maybe someday, someone will be able to share a good measurement with us.

In the meantime, I am happy looking toward both approaches, subjective and scientific.

Jac