My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

ps. for Dario: 9mV and 7.5mV are the DC values on outputs with open in (after less than 2 hours total working)

They're fine initial values.

They will probably lower in a few hours of use.

BTW if they stay as they are you're fine too.

I must say it is impressive to say the least! The sound is so natural, the instruments sound absolutely real. (...) now I am absolutely dazzled by the result!

:)

And it was so simple to get there. But that is because someone has produced this simplicity for us with his natural talent and hours and hours of work ;)

Send me a PM about the Telos 390 clone since I do not want to pollute Dario's thread. :D

Do, every comparison with other amps is welcome.

Bob reviews let us all think the FEs is the best amp in the world... :D

Ok, so my second channel is working fine.
Dc offset is ok and all is good.
I can say one thing for sure- it is very musical amplifier. Joy to listen

Very well!

I'm happy you like it.

Yes, live .
Yep , grounding .... Shall I use star ground ?

Yes

I was really impressed with what the Munforf AG caps at C101/C102 add to the body and depth of the sound.

Thank you for advice! Do you mean it is better to start the upgrade with C101/102? And another question. Locally we have Mundorf AG GO, not the AG MPLI is there difference?

The sound source also needs some attention. Very probably a new DAC will be built for this amplifier.

I will be away in July. Plan to resume tuning in a month time.

Ok, so my second channel is working fine.

Congratulations! I understand you have audiophyle components from the beginning. It must be very rewarding!

Do you mean it is better to start the upgrade with C101/102?

IMHO, no.

Other parts comes first like the three Amtrans, KP1834 in C7, Riken in R10, Silmic II (no ROHS version)/BG FK in C9, a good cap in C13.

After all those changes you gained the full transparence that let you fully appreciate the Mundorfs... ;)

And another question. Locally we have Mundorf AG GO, not the AG MPLI is there difference?

MLGO means Glue-On, they're the right ones, MPLI is the old series.

I think I need to do some mods to rest of my system (dac also) to get better sound.
The sound source also needs some attention. Very probably a new DAC will be built for this amplifier.

It happened to me with the first My_ref I've built, it has been a catalyst that made me mod my whole system.

Dario what is your next project ??? :)

At the moment I'm kidding modding DAC9 by Weilang:

attachment.php

It's really good as it comes from eBay but some careful mods are needed.

The thing I love about it is the really well regulated PS (analog one is also a discrete series reg!)

Attachments

• IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
... Do you mean it is better to start the upgrade with C101/102?........

When asked, I always report that the M AGs and something special at C13 have made the most obvious improvements in the entire family of MyRefs - in my systems. The other mods are certainly necessary to get the best from the FEs, but I didn't take as logical an approach as Dario just outlined. For sure follow his lead, but hopefully some better power caps will be in your final build.

You see, I'm searching an alternative to TCs for two reasons:

I want a cap that could be fitted on boards and new TCs can't

new TCs are as musical and detailed as old ones but not as neutral/transparent, they add some 'amber' to the sound.

While people are thinking about C13 and nice sounding signal caps, I was curious about some other options. I'm sure the Clarity MR is nice and look forward to Dario's review.

Has anyone tried the Jupiter caps? They seem to get good ratings and have a lot of detail and soundstage for a paper-in-wax. They are a little pricey, especially in values suited to C13. At least they would fit on the board.

How about Jensen or Amp Ohm? Those are both too big for the board but seem attractive.

Anybody try a VCap teflon on a MyRef C13?

At the moment, my favorite remains the K75-10 with bypass, but that doesn't fit either.

Jac

While people are thinking about C13 and nice sounding signal caps, I was curious about some other options. I'm sure the Clarity MR is nice and look forward to Dario's review.

Has anyone tried the Jupiter caps? They seem to get good ratings and have a lot of detail and soundstage for a paper-in-wax. They are a little pricey, especially in values suited to C13. At least they would fit on the board.

How about Jensen or Amp Ohm? Those are both too big for the board but seem attractive.

Anybody try a VCap teflon on a MyRef C13?

At the moment, my favorite remains the K75-10 with bypass, but that doesn't fit either.

Jac

On my side I have tried several caps including the ClarityCAP MR which I love. Tried the Mundorf S/G/O and hated them... I found they added some kind of veil but maybe I did not give them enough burn in time. Auricap are good as well but not as transparent as the ClarityCAP MR. I also like the Obbligato Gold Premium, for the price it cannot be beat as far as SQ.

Maybe using a good quality/price cap with a Vcap Teflon bypass of .01uF could be an alternative as well.

Do

Last edited:
The chipamp is a ClassAB where the bias current setting is locked inside the package.
The idle dissipation is what it is, you cannot change it. Call it 70mA @ 70V and you have ~5W. That is what heats up the chip, even with a muted/shorted input.

Add on the losses in the PSU. That 10W guess is probably pretty close.

100Hrs @ 10W = 1kWhr = ~12pence (UK) or about 3p/day

Is smps and ClassD going to save the world?

Last edited: