My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Bob it is all digital. TV and Squeezebox only via dac. I just want to have extra input for random device for a future.
Another question was is to whenever I should add switch for a buffered / unbuffered (b1 or mesmerize) linked to Lighter not for impedance issues (as you know probably- Uriah's ldr is good enough without any additional gadgetry).
Just decided to keep things simple- FE + LDR in one box.

In theory digital buffer I ll have with subbu dac would be sufficient.

Having so many physical audio formats in my past (I do remember even loading music on sinclair type of computers via cassette. Or using a pen to rewind cassette on the go for my portable player...) I do believe now only in digital :D
I have duet which is going to be used for now, most probably even lampizated until I figure out what to do next.

I am back , jet lag is fading away so I can start building fe. Parts due to come this thursday.
Beware of tons of questions now :)

Thanks, I'm of the same opinion - very difficult to beat the quality and ease of use of the digital format. But being an old dude :mad: I have hundreds of vinyl platters along with a large collection of cassettes that contain many of my favorite recordings. I hope to digitize the tapes and add them to the hard drives.

The turntable is regaining some popularity so optimizing it's use is still on the "bucket list". Currently is't being used with the Denon receiver, but when I add it to the FE system I'm pretty sure I'll use a phono pre/pot with a simple high quality toggle switch at the FE input. That will require placing the TT very close to the FEs but that will give me an excuse to build another piece of furnature. ;) I favor eliminating as many electronics in the signal path that when I use the receiver I just switch the leads at the speakers.. Might do something more sophisticated later but the manual approach just takes a few seconds.

Bob, tbh spare input on my amp is reserved, believe it or not for LP !
But due to the cost of the implementation I think I ll make it later, much later...

Reason for LP ?
Because digital gives me flexibility and ease and LP gives analogue experience. Anything in between is half measure. This is why digital and analogue to my opinion is the only sources one need to have complete system (not considering HT ).

As I mentioned my B1 , I want to add some comments on russian capacitors.
10uf russian PIO I put recently literally shocked me. It was the difference in musicality and all other aspects whic improved 500 %.
I have another 1uf cap to try called 75-10 (and co compare to the one I ll use in FE)- which was discussed on russian forums and might be even better than k71-4 in FE. K75-10 supposed to be better than 71-4 according to russians.
If any positive difference- will report. I have 2 spare ones , if anybody interested- can send it over. They are cheap as well!

A big thank you going out to Dario, He just finished helping me troubleshoot my amps. I seemed to have swapped c30 (1pf) with c7 (10pf). The 10pf in C30 was extending the top end. It might be worth trying if you are using a full ranger and lacking sparkle.

I am very happy with these amps connected to my modified Klipsch CF-3's,
The sound is fast, airy and true. The top end is very revealing and will kill a bad recording.

Here is a photo of my amps running.

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 458
I have another 1uf cap to try called 75-10 (and co compare to the one I ll use in FE)- which was discussed on russian forums and might be even better than k71-4 in FE. K75-10 supposed to be better than 71-4 according to russians.
If any positive difference- will report. I have 2 spare ones , if anybody interested- can send it over. They are cheap as well!

Ivan,

I'm a fan of the K75-10 and have been using them with a bypass as the input cap for my FE's for several months. Love em'. First a warning, they do take a bit of breaking in. On their own, I find them musical, but a bit colored and lacking in top end detail, but very enjoyable. I've added a 1 nF AMTRANS from the FE build spares as a bypass and the combination is very nice indeed. Other bypass caps could work well, but the AMTRANS seems like the most natural fit. At least in my case, 1 nF is a really good size bypass.

Have fun and report back soon. I'm looking forward to your opinion.

Jac

P.S. I just received some Audyn Plus and Jantzen Superior Z caps. I'll give them a try at C13, but they were really purchased to have some other flavors available for an active crossover. As the gentleman at Humble Hi-Fi says, mixing audio components is like cooking. You need to combine the ingredients and spices in the right combination to get the flavor that pleases you. These will get mixed in with K71-4, Audyn True Copper, and Jupiter HT to make my stew.

Last edited:
DUMBFOUNDED and Fingers Crossed in Bay City.

After giving up on the hum problem I had with externals attached to my RC build, I today have a perfectly silent system. I don't even get a response from touching the True Coppers. I have absolutely no clue what changed as I haven't "fixed" anything on the Mini2496, the JC-2 Pre or the amp builds.

I had switched out the Windows audio drivers and selected WASAPI Event style in JRiver to use the pot on the JC-2 with the Honey Badger amp tests. I decided since it was working fine I'd try that configuration again with the RC amps - one at a time. The first attempt was stunningly silent - but that was due to my fear and anxiety level which caused me to neglect attaching a speaker. :D Palm to forehead slap!

Long story - short, with everything connected the system is still stunningly silent. I hope that doesn't mean some component fried, shorted or has an open joint, but the sound is as good as ever. I'll just have to do some jostling and tapping to see if something is loose. I haven't tried the bare pot to replace the JC-2 yet as I have to put it back together after stealing the RCAs for another project, but I'll do that soon.

Confused but happy!!!

After giving up on the hum problem I had with externals attached to my RC build, I today have a perfectly silent system. I don't even get a response from touching the True Coppers. I have absolutely no clue what changed as I haven't "fixed" anything on the Mini2496, the JC-2 Pre or the amp builds.

Finally! :)

I suspect that what you have 'fixed' are the connections between components. ;)

Productive day, dropbox image of my build
Only left is to wait for back order, get enclosure+audyn+toroids from audiophonics.fr (I ll get toroids if you don't mind Dario- same source and it is cheaper to combine delivery :) )
Plus to get thermal paste for r3 and amp ...

It will take few weeks now to wait for other things and if no hurdles present going to join FE owners camp !

No it is time for a treat, as I missed Monaco GP qualy, with Champions League Final to follow :)

Happy !