My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
R11 was in place. Floating was referering to the AP's output (xfomer coupled), no current can establish in R11. (...) It does NOT provide ground loop "isolation".

For the other two questions, yes and yes.

Thanks Klaus :)

With balanced source impedance at the LM318's input pins (390Ohms, would required DC coupled source output) and using it's offset adjust capabilites there will probably be no need for C9 as well and the amp would be fully DC coupled.

Interesting....

When using C9 it better should be a non-polar IMHO (two 'lytics back to back, or true non-polar with smooth foil).

I'm already using a non- polar (BG NX), good to know ;)

Startup and powerdown noise is also very benign so the relay plus associated components might be discarded, too.

Interesting... what about the mute function of LM3886?

Do you think it's still functional?

Startup and powerdown noise is also very benign so the relay plus associated components might be discarded, too. That is, if you know what you're doing and you woofers can handle DC there is little risk of damage IMHO once the amp is properly built. Most errors happen during testing.

Interesting, was this under normal use? You actually have the relay removed?

Interesting, was this under normal use? You actually have the relay removed?
No, I just returned the speaker GND to the central GND (PGND). Power-Up/Down noise is overrated anyway, given that in normal use the speaker has to take transients that are very much higher. Unless the cone really jumps out there is no problem, same with some outburst of HF oscillation which often takes places shortly before the supply is fully down (both points are NO issues with the MyRef, just a slight "click" is produced). Key point is to use not too much of main supply capacitance, anything above 10mF per rail looks overdone to me for this kind of amp (and for a MyRef with its excellent supply rejection anyway).

Checked with the simplicistic datasheet circuit 47uF slowing cap plus 10k to V- (operate) or left open (mute), too. Unmute is quick, mute goes through a short distortion fade.

This circuit?

attachment.php

Attachments

• mute.jpg
    mute.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 527
Bucharest Audio

Off topic.

It must be exciting to be in Bucharest these days. Based on the involvement in these forums, there is a lot of DIY audio going on. We have Atupi here and elsewhere involved. The Russian polystyrene cap supplier. And Tibi over on the Shigaclone thread re-inventing the CD transport. Sounds like great fun.

Jac

I am trying to decide whether I want to try a linear PS. If there are indications that I should give it a try, I probably would. I currently focus on switching power and will be pulling out much of the linear PS section of the FE. But I am still reading about what's going on till I get to it.
Standard Class-II SMPS tend to have tons of nasty leakage current, the last thing you want to have in an audio system.

Class-I often are not much cleaner, either.

The only standard types that are suitable to audio without risk are those SMPS rated for medical use (hence very expensive).

Further problem : Voltage drops heavily when overloaded (current limiting) instead of switching off. You must use SMPS with ample current capacity (using worst case assumptions). Additional caps, if too big, cause startup problems.

SMPS for power audio power amps is a very special art.

Last edited:
Dario can you say again how to you recognize/identify the sense of capacitors like Wima FKP2 or Amtrans? Grazie !

Most of the times you should test them both sides since markings are sometimes different from batch to batch.

If you would like to know how to identify by listening which side is 'the right one' I use mainly bass performance.

The right one has the fattest and roundest bass, the wrong one snappy and overly controlled.

Usually the wrong one has bigger sound stage and often sound a bit harsh.

In two words the right side sounds fuller and sweeter

If you have access to an oscilloscope there are several methods to identify the outer foil of the cap (do a Google search).

The outher foil should go the point of less impedance to ground.

At this page you can find further examples on where to put the outer foil.

Caps used in the FE seems pretty consistent (Wima FKP2, Amtrans AMCH, KP1834)

Wima and Amtrans seem to have the outer foil at the end of markings (100nF = --->), KP1834 the opposite (10nF = <---).

BTW I've read on this forum that FKP2s can vary from batch to batch and my Audyn True copper have 2 different orientation (one has the outer foil at the end of markings, the other at the beginning...)

Off Topic

Bob,

Perhaps I was exaggerating when I said re-inventing the CD transport. They have got a board designed with good attention to details that will control an available CD drive. Early will have SPDIF out, later your choice of digital format. I would start looking around mid Feb 2012, post #5228. The posts are over 5800 now. Happy reading.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...rdable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-523.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.