• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My Wave Isn't Square.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Schematic and now loaded with 4 ohm instead of 8 ohm.

snpisw.jpg

Taken "full throttle" so the tone generator gets terminated by the amps input impedance.

k21fyh.jpg

Volume is circa half way the 50K pot.

Some SE transformers are not so bad.

40Hz!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1000Hz
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To say the same in other words, the second waveform shows some loss of bass frequencies.
To be more precise: rounded leading edge: lack of treble; sloping tops: lack of bass (relative to the frequency being displayed).

And the assimetry is the norm, not the exception, in SE designs. :(

Not only the tube is assymetrical, but the iron too, because it´s strongly DC biased towards "one side" of its hysteresis curve.

As a side note: if you want perfect squarewaves, go SS .
No kidding.

To say the same in other words, the second waveform shows some loss of bass frequencies.
To be more precise: rounded leading edge: lack of treble; sloping tops: lack of bass (relative to the frequency being displayed).

And the assimetry is the norm, not the exception, in SE designs. :(

Not only the tube is assymetrical, but the iron too, because it´s strongly DC biased towards "one side" of its hysteresis curve.

As a side note: if you want perfect squarewaves, go SS .
No kidding.

Well, this is another SE design on my test bench...

That's the RMS value of the output voltage Andrew. The scope knobs shown are of the first channel, measurement is done with channel two.

This will probably hold for all amps but I measured that with the rise of output power F-3dB is moving slowly up in frequency. Possibly because of the SE topology I measured with the rise of output power more frequency dependant deviation. iaw, the lower the output power, the more constant the amplification becomes. All according the text books ;)

Tested with sine wave the big amp reproduces comfortably down to 30Hz. From a certain power level losses in the low frequencies are becoming substantial. 20Hz was at -30% at 9W. Not bad? The sinus did not look much distorted but it remains hard to see. Looking for output voltage alone won't cut it...

Last edited:
I think it's better to do square waves at a lower output. It doesn't makes sense to do this at high/max power.

I use square wave to see if the transformer has overshoot/resonance (i use 10kHz and 20kHz mostly).
Also a normal frequency measurement,1Hz to 1 Mhz, at low power (~1W) and sometimes at very low power to see what the influence is of the permeability.

I did. It's just that for low power listening I would not take a SE penthode but a SE triode amp.. and these have their best watt first ;) When overall feedback is applied a compensation network might clean up oscillation and minimise ringing on the leading edge, not withstanding the demand for keeping sufficient bandwidth.

If you're applying a 20KHz sw your transformer has to pass 200KHz worth of harmonics. Almost every opt will end up with a rolled off and distorted leading edge. What's interesting in that?

You can do without a 10kHz (or 20k) square wave but it's a easy way to see if your amplifier (transformer) has problems.

Good amplifiers/transformer have nice square waves even at this frequencies (maybe a little bit rounded but no ringing)

This would be reasonable:
20kHz

Or 10KHz

Brand X ( Audionote 2k6/8 Ω) at 10kHz

Also AN (very nice response i think)

I did. It's just that for low power listening I would not take a SE penthode but a SE triode amp.. and these have their best watt first ;) When overall feedback is applied a compensation network might clean up oscillation and minimise ringing on the leading edge, not withstanding the demand for keeping sufficient bandwidth.

If you're applying a 20KHz sw your transformer has to pass 200KHz worth of harmonics. Almost every opt will end up with a rolled off and distorted leading edge. What's interesting in that?

Last edited:
Well, try to compensate this:

1 brand X transformer with frequency problems, second brand Y with less problems but slighty lower frquency response.

This is the square wave brand X

This brand Y

Isn't it so every transformer is ringing? By manipulating (dampening) the circuit one can minimise this phenomenon.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.