My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

component list for the filtering system

Glad you liked the filter implementation, addict. Thanks.

Attached is an updated parts list for the ultrasonic record cleaner project, including parts for the filter system.

I'm also including a couple of photos showing how I used PCB adhesive mounts to install the pump in the pump housing.

B B

Hi BBFTX,
Could you please re-post the part list for the filter system? possibly the photos?
Thanks,
Fred

How to power the 12v DC water pump

Glad you liked the filter implementation, addict. Thanks.

Attached is an updated parts list for the ultrasonic record cleaner project, including parts for the filter system.

I'm also including a couple of photos showing how I used PCB adhesive mounts to install the pump in the pump housing.

B B

Astro,
The pump I bought was a Little Giant brand centrifugal, bought from Surplus Center for $14.95. These are no longer available. It is a Fan cooled motor and centrifugal pump.

I'd suggest going to a more robust 12 volt RV water pump. Something like this one:
Bayite 12V DC Fresh Water Pressure Diaphragm Pump

This is inexpensive, but pumps water well with more oomph than the little centrifugal I bought. The downside is that it is somewhat noisy. But I would go with a pump like this if I was starting from scratch, and would put it in some type of vented enclosure to try to dampen the noise.
Cheers,
B B

Could you please let me know how to power the 12V DC pump? I am very ignorant about these things. Thanks.

Hi BBFTX,
Could you please re-post the part list for the filter system? possibly the photos?
Thanks,
Fred

Hi Fred:
Here is a link to a video showing operation of my pump and filter setup:
BB's URC Pump and Filter Setup

I'm attaching the pump/filter parts list, but this was all built around the Little Giant OM 120v AC-powered pump. This pump is not available as surplus anymore, so it's fairly expensive and cheaper options can be found.

For a 12V DC pump, you can use a 12 volt "wall wart" like this one that has a connector tip that allows bare wire insertion (the two leads from the DC motor):
12V power supply with DC wire connector

Or, you can spend a few dollars more and get a variable voltage power supply that can also be used for other DC power projects:
3to12V Regulated Power Supply, 2 Amp

Let me know if you still have questions,
B B

Attachments

• BBs URC Pumps part list LittleGiant .pdf
    39 KB · Views: 123
BB' Parts Lists

It appears my parts list attachments may have been stripped somewhere along the way from earlier messages, and a couple of folks have asked me for the lists.
Here is the Version 2 parts list, and the version 3 parts list .
Please note some of these parts are no longer available from the sources listed and/or at the price listed.
Cheers,
B B

Attachments

• BBs URC parts list (version 2)-2.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 235
  • BB URC V3 Parts List.xlsx.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 266
Hello, my first post. I just got into Vinyls. Soon realized the importance of clean records. I have some 40-50 yr old 33 rpm records from India, which were horrible to hear. So, I got an OKki Nokki RCM. Still a lot of clicks and background noise. Then heard about ultrasonic Cleaners but were very expensive .

So went the DIY way. Got myself a 15L 40mHz from ebay and thought of just immersing the whole record flat into the big container. Unfortunately the record doesn’t fit flat. Came across this thread and spent last few days reading. I ordered the parts for the stand and the motor to spin the records.

In the meantime I handheld a record and slowly spin it with my hand 8 min at a time. My solution is 7L distilled water, 175 ml IPA, 0.7 ml Triton x-100. I use the Okki Nokki vacuum to dry the record and suck out any other dust left. The sound was good after first cleaning, great after second, awesome after 3rd.

Still hear ocasional clicks. Planning to return the 15L and get 6L. Is there any additional benefit to the 60mhz, will it remove the remaining clicks as well. If yes, which one to buy? Heard the new Sonix IV is 40 MHz. I saw that there is a high frequency Sonix but I don’t know the cost. I am OK spending 500$ but not more than that. How to get an old Sonix one.

Is there benefit to using Okki Nokki vacuum after ultrasonic cleaning.

Many thanks to the group.

Hi Kanchi,
I doubt a 4th cleaning with any machine can eliminate all of your clicks. Cleaning can't repair scratches, other surface damage or "noisy" recordings.

In my experience, there are albums (particularly the used ones I've bought) that just haven't been treated well. Clicks and pops exist that can't be cleaned.

Very few people post before and after results. Here is a sample from my album collection that has a short 5 second clip before and after cleaning. Most, but not all clicks are removed. This is typical for a used record undergoing ultrasonic cleaning.
Vinyl Before & After Ultrasonic Cleaning

You can search for prior generation Sonix cleaners on ebay. But, you're going to find it pretty well impossible to now find a new 60 kHz or higher frequency machine for under $500.
Good Luck,
B B

Hi Kanchi,
I doubt a 4th cleaning with any machine can eliminate all of your clicks. Cleaning can't repair scratches, other surface damage or "noisy" recordings.

In my experience, there are albums (particularly the used ones I've bought) that just haven't been treated well. Clicks and pops exist that can't be cleaned.

Very few people post before and after results. Here is a sample from my album collection that has a short 5 second clip before and after cleaning. Most, but not all clicks are removed. This is typical for a used record undergoing ultrasonic cleaning.
Vinyl Before & After Ultrasonic Cleaning

You can search for prior generation Sonix cleaners on ebay. But, you're going to find it pretty well impossible to now find a new 60 kHz or higher frequency machine for under $500.
Good Luck,
B B

Thanks BB, The records I bought are supposed to be "Old New Stock" but the inside plastic cover was all dusty and brown. I am thinking dust collected over a period of years.

I just bought a used SONIX IV SE236 with buttons on Ebay. It does not have a heater function.

Do you think it's 60 mHz?

How do I heat up the cleaning fluid to desired temperature?

Thanks

Kanchi,
Hopefully, the data plate on the unit will tell you what frequency it uses. I think Sonix reused that model number for a while when they transitioned from 60 kHz units to 40 kHz as the default cleaning frequency.

I'd microwave the water in your cleaning solution separately to get it up to your desired temperature, then mix everything in the ultrasonic tank and start your cleaning cycles. The ultrasonic action adds some heat as you run through your cleaning cycles and perhaps that will be enough to keep the bath somewhat above room temp.
Cheers,
B B

bbftx-Any reason NOT to use a standard 1 micron filter & holder(for kitchen sink Reverse Osmosis equipment)? They would easily fit on the Ultrasonic drain, then into the filter, then pump, then back in the bath. The filters are a LOT cheaper($1-2 each in bulk) than the other filter options. Any advantages/disadvantages to a 15L or 20L Ultrasonic(other than more cleaning solution) for larger record collections?

bbftx-Any reason NOT to use a standard 1 micron filter & holder(for kitchen sink Reverse Osmosis equipment)? They would easily fit on the Ultrasonic drain, then into the filter, then pump, then back in the bath. The filters are a LOT cheaper($1-2 each in bulk) than the other filter options. Any advantages/disadvantages to a 15L or 20L Ultrasonic(other than more cleaning solution) for larger record collections?

Hi Ron,
For filtering, this is what I have proposed and implemented in my own setup, almost from the get-go. I first commented on this concept back in mid-Sept 2012:
URC Filter Concept
I posted my solution in Oct 2012:
URC Filter Implementation

That second message included a link to a video of my filter setup in operation.
Here is the video link again:
BB's URC Filter Demo Video

I'd probably go with a 10L tank if I was starting over. Costs of the bigger tank and extra cleaning solution would be offset by ability to clean a couple more records per batch and having room for an added skim filter setup, which I think would be ideal to deal with some of the "floaters" that seem to appear in the cleaning solution over time.
Cheers,
BB

I just bought a SONIX IV ST136 which apparently was manufactured in Oct 2015 as per serial number. I am not for 100% sure if it has 60 or 40 mHz transducer.

I have a 40 mHz ebay one prior to this one. I cleaned a record again in the SONIX and I did not find any difference. I emailed customer service to confirm the mHz with the serial number. Mine has two knobs for heating and timer. The heater knob does not have Celsius degrees. The older version had a on/off switch for heating function. Hopefully it is the old version.

Kanchi,
You shouldn't expect a record you've already cleaned multiple times to sound different when you clean it yet again. It won't.
This isn't a "magic audiophile record treatment." It's just a way to clean some contaminants off the record. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, these machines run in the kilohertz (kHz) range, not megahertz (mHz).
Good luck,
B B

Yes, kHz..
I just opened a brand new record (Revenant sound track) and there were some clicks. Why is that?? Some contaminants got in during pressing? Is this expected for all records. May be that’s why I am hearing clicks and some background noise in the other records too..I clean the stylus, I have a record sweeper also..
Thanks

Could be lots of things, Kanchi. Static for one. There might have been dust or loose fibers in the record sleeve, or a piece of dust may land on your new LP as you get it ready and play it, or it might be a bad pressing.

If a click happens in the same place on the record each time, examine that portion of the surface and see if you can see dust or groove damage. A loupe can help. If the clicks move around from play to play, it's probably static. Static problems are more common in low humidity climates/rooms and/or winter months.

Is your Revenant soundtrack the blue and white vinyl version rather than black? Some, not all, colored vinyl LPs are noisier than their black-color counterparts.
You need to examine each LP to determine the cause of the click(s).

Since you're new to vinyl, you're learning that clicks and record noise are a real part of the format. Many folks learn to listen through those things. For many older recordings, LPs are the only option as CDs may never have been made. For some newer recordings, you might find you prefer well-mastered CDs over "noisier" vinyl.
B B

I don't think the Amazon listing is correct, as Sonix 4 lists the E-series machines as 40 kHz on their website (see attached photo from their brochure). I sent the company a question about their amazon listing, and will relay their response.
B B

Attachments

• sonix4 Eseries2018.jpg
    sonix4 Eseries2018.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 381