My Transistors, original or copy?

Hi NanoFarad,
We have exactly the same problems in Canada. Untrained idiots decide they can repair electronics (incorrectly) and charge a lot for ruining equipment. The few remaining good techs have to clean up afterwards.

Greed is the #1 problem, followed by ignorance and false pride. Earlier (decades ago) we did not need government intervention. Today, I would say we need to have the industry regulated. I'm going to bet that the problem is worldwide, the same in all countries.
Unfortunately, when you get regulations you get higher prices across the board, and access to materials gets restricted. I can imagine not being able to buy “real” transistors like C5200’s, MJ15024’s or even TTC004’s without a damn license - throwing us back to the days of hobbyists being limited to using 40 and 60 volt generics.

Reactions: 1 user
Wrong part number, should be
LS844-SOT-23-6L-CT
best deal imo at Mouser 1: $3.89 CDN
you can buy the metal can to-71 version if you think its necessary 1: $15.66

Onsemi is having long delays for mje15032g. I found some but not Mouser or Digi-Key
I would not want to be a audio amp manufacture and have to deal with a poor single source supplier.
I guess you have to treat it as EOL buys or enough for a few years of production.
Toshiba is a much more reliable supplier for me. Look at lead time differences.
I hope Toshiba would make the TO-220 again, not 2SA940/2SC2073 something faster/equiv. to a MJE15032/33G, could eat Onsemi lunch if they thought it necessary. Could use it in my new STK-0050-II design :)

I doubt TO-92 or TO-220 are coming back. R.I.P. 2SC3298/2SA1306. THOSE are the ones we want back!!!!

It goes without saying we’ll never see the likes of the C2565/A1095 ever again either. Those would be on my short list of demands if I ruled the world. I wonder if it was just that weird package that killed it so quickly.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi wg_ski,
I agree with you to a point wrt to having the government stomp in (they never step into anything intelligently).

However, the overall costs to the economy are going to be less than leaving it wide open. I was talking about service entities though, we seriously do need effective testing and licensing to reduce the amount of horrible work that is done. THe other thing absolutely required is an end to junk manufacturing. I strongly believe that to sell product in a country, you need an effective office and repair facility with a real parts stock. Equipment must be repairable because as a world, we cannot afford to send all this stuff to scrap - and to transport new garbage across the world. This is an economy of greed. It has to end, we cannot afford it.

Once this is corrected, semiconductor and component manufacturers will supply the parts required as there will be a demand. Keep going the way we are, all parts will be bonded without leads and therefore not replaceable through normal or inexpensive means. It also means you won't have parts you can create with, and the hobby will be dead. Perfect for people who want to sell garbage.

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi NareshBrd,
Unless they use the original artwork and doping levels, it should be a different part number known to be a valid substitute. COmplete specs such as Toshiba supplied along with the consistency are the other requirements.

Again, not picking on any single manufacturer, but we need truth and honesty. If they are licensed (as On Semi, and they still made it clear they made them), if not, it is a totally different part.

Yeah, the C5200 seems to be a gray area. With many shades of it. Who knows what CDIL’s version of it it. Maybe it’s good. Fairchild’s version of it is good, but is it really a 2SC5200? It originally came out as some FJL house number and is epitaxial planar construction, NOT like Toshiba’s triple diffused. Now they have two parts with two numbers, stocked separately, even priced slightly different - that share the same data sheet (with both numbers). Why? It should just be labeled the FJL number. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but is it any more a C5200 than CDIL’s?

Toshiba reportedly dropped the C3281 in favor of the 5200 because of all the faking and cloning. Now everybody any their dog is trying to make and market C5200’s. I’ve heard of others out of China too.

To further muddy the waters…. Fairchild packages the same transistor in the N package (they say it’s the same BTW), and calls it the 2SC5242. They have a house number also. The Toshiba 2SC5242 is not their 2SC5200 in a smaller package. It is an altogether smaller device, marketed for 70W amp duty, not 100. Sort of like their old 2SC3182.

When Motorola originally licensed Toshiba’s IP, they called it the “MJL3821”, and not the 2S number. It was a bigger part - over 7mm on a side. They have since put it in every package they could (except the TO-3), and made both smaller and higher voltage versions. All with new part numbers. Fairchild handled it differently before the merger - but why didn’t they consolidate and do it consistently? They already consolidated their TO-264 package - opting to drop Motorola’s old style and using only the Fairchild version. It was the logical choice between the two, as it can handle higher voltages with the increased creepage distance.

Reactions: 1 users
2SC is a Japanese prefix.

And at least we know CDIL, compared to some unknown Chinese brand, though some factories there are OEM to known brands.

There is a air conditioner brand called AUX, seems they do US$10 Billion in annual sales, so they must be doing something right.
My tech said it is a copy of the Mitsubishi models, very good quality, quite low priced, worth it, but not many dealers in my area.

And Luguang has also been mentioned in this thread.

So, your decision, buy a known item, rather than a possible fake, at least the unit will mostly work, unless the rails are too close to the limit.

No ties to any brands above.

I came late in this party (DIY) so i purchased some TTC pairs from RS, knowing that they're good for small amplifiers(50-100watts). I thought it would be better than buying from unauthorised store or person because market was/is full of fake Toshiba transistors. I was aware of other manufacturers but wanted those from Toshiba. Interestingly now they discontinued the TTC/TTA part & back to 2SC prefix. Don't know what they're trying to do & i heard that this year Toshiba outlisted from Tokyo stock market for the first time in their history!