My Take on Threshold NS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the suggestions Tony, I will try that. There is no bypass for the zeners, so you could be right.:) I have my grounding scheme under excamination.
How about bass performance?
Ohh, firm and tight:cool: I am really impressed by this little preamp:) You can look forward to hear it;) Now we are at it, with this old Treshold stuff; what about an A400, to go with that preamp?:D That would make even me sing along:cool:
Excellent preamp.
Thanks a lot Russ! I made it a bit pretty since it stays in the livingroom:)

Steen. :cool:

I kinda feel like a proud uncle or something seeing those PCBs in there.
Sorry Russ, I missed your post at first. You can be proud allright, the layout is working just great:) Thanks a lot:) Here is a pic, if you care, of the little champagne-coloured wonder:D

Steen:cool:

Attachments

• ns10_finish_sm.jpg
    ns10_finish_sm.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 610
Very nice layout! It looks as if there's a volume pot, a source selector and a control I'm not sure about. Is that a power switch?

I'm following this thread with much interest as I'd like to put together an integrated amp using Russ M-ref amp kit and some preamp circuit. So many interesting project = paralysis... ;)

I notice that many preamp circuits do not have a balance control. Is this handled by pots/switched attenuators on the outputs of the preamp circuits?

regards

Dave

Is that a power switch?
Nope, thats a Neutrik socket for headphones:D The powerswitch is placed on the rear.
I had to take out the headphoneamp, to make room for the NS10.
I am thinking about, how to get the headphoneamp, back in, though;) Will probably have to stack the boards, somehow.
You can safely build the NS10, its really great sounding. Its even more dynamic than I would have thought, it drives a ZenV4 amp with no sweat:)

Steen:)

Which attenuator are you using Steen?
I had to take out the Elma, and replaced it with a std. 22k audiotaper pot:xeye: Sigh, but there wasnt room enough for the attenuator!
The preamp is working really nice with that one though!
what source are you using with with the NS10?
So far, I am only using my CD player, a Denon DCD1450, heavily modded with a LC clock and excpensive opamps:) Well I have been listening to this preamp all evening, and I keep pulling out old favourite albums that I want to hear:) It tells me that this preamp is just great! I will try it with the Pearl shortly. As good as this sounds, I am sure it will be great with vinyl, also;) Its more detailed in the topend, than I am used to. The bottomend is just firm and tight as I said. I think I will keep this one for a while:) I didnt have the faintest idea, that a small transistor circuit could sound like this. I will agree to what Tmblack and Lumanauw said: It makes CD's sound like Vinyls:cool:

Steen.:)

you are mighty fast
I get that a lot, Jacco:D But not from my girlfriend:D :D The knops are actually the same as Jrsun offers! I bought mine directly from Taiwan, though! Also the nice Champagne chassis is from Taiwan. I looked over Jrsun's shoulder to check his prices!! They are totally okay!! You cant even import the stuff cheaper yourself:) The knops are solid brass, I think Jrsun listed them as something else! Only trouble with them is, that the hole is not centered correctly! It wobbles in the hole, god darn...... I cant have that.-....:D :D

Steen:)
Oh, nearly forgot, the output caps are JCR's or JRC's dont remember:D But they are out of here when I get the Jantzen's I ordered:) Come to think of it, you really need to use good parts for this preamp! The first one I made didnt sound nearly as good.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yo,steeeeen my man!

I'm thrilled.......

hehe-but-how,on earth, you calculate 20 mA when you have 10mA from + to - (or vice versa :D )?

in that case any decent aleph will have-say-1.5A x2 ......hehe

comparing to BOZ (I'm sure that you make that also) how NS10 MegaClone sings?

for me only one matters-does it sings or not ,you can save all hifififi mumbo jumbo words-we all knows what singing means.....

:clown:

hehe-but-how,on earth, you calculate 20 mA when you have 10mA from + to - (or vice versa )?
He-he Choky-boy:D I just meausered 10ma's from the positive rail to ground and also 10ma from the negative rail to ground! Well 10+10 is 20 isnt it:D Well there you have it, do with the figures as you please, Choky:) I kind of like the idea of a shunt reg preceded by a CCS as you said earlier! Hope you will come up with something.
And yes, this baby sings, allright. I am still pulling out old albums I want to hear again this evening:cool: Do yourself a favour and build it:D Its easy enough:)
Yours truly:)
Steen.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
here it is-takin' in account that you have 2x25VAC iron;

there is also some space for tweaks (feel free to put somewhere few little plastic caps , mebbe even in paralel to 47E ( ?!) .

with more volts than just 35DC,you'll have more ripple rejection

hehe- with more volts on input-I can even recalculate for shunting some 110mA , not just 60......

ps-regarding CCS -mebbe just some old good LM317HV (LM337HV) ,wired for 70mA ,but you then need few volts more ,too.................

Attachments

• psu-proposal.jpg
    psu-proposal.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 599
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar
YU

"don't use force,
use a larger hammer"

- Choky

"don't use force,
use a larger tube
and IST"

- ZM

http://choky.on.neobee.net

that is approximation of sig in my outgoing mail messages;

according to that - you really need bigger xformer (read my lips :devilr: - more volts ) and then you'll have full power of shunt reg in action

then you can also xperiment with last cap in chain,or you can go Gainclone route -with minima of uFs......

I can quote that, and yes I know you told us so allready;) Shunt reg it is. I dont know why it never occured to me before?? I will try and test it on other preamps also:D HMMMM not to use that hifimumblejumble kind of language:D :D But the shunt reg is really great! I cant tell what it is excactly, the music just comes straight out of the bag:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

And yes, this baby sings, allright. I am still pulling out old albums I want to hear again this evening:cool: Do yourself a favour and build it:D Its easy enough:)

Steen.

I didn' even finished my BOZ .....:bawling:

lookin' this days for upcoming last wooden part for my EMT's wall console , and also for finishing some hokus pokus riaa temporrary substitute

eeehaw -I'm going in LP harvest action-I made arrangement with several mates-"I'll giv'ya CD copy for all yours LPs,if I can take them all...."

nice-isn't it ....

Choky, do you mean it would sound better with even more volts on the trafo's secondaries? I have 2x25 before rectification at this point! I have a 2x30v trafo also, if that should be better? But thats a 160VA, so its a bit bigger:devilr: about heatsinking the BD's then? Okay, here is the last pic for today:D The champagne wonder playing Tracy Chapman right now:)

Ps no shunt reg for the Ksa 250, cause I aint gonna built it:D
I only built Pass things:) Well allmost, at least:eek: Please, just take all your friends LP's, they dont know what good is, obviously :D

Attachments

• ns10_tracy_chapman.jpg
    ns10_tracy_chapman.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 479
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.