• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My First Tube Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
So....That being said, a higher R17 will reduce the B+ since it is in a series circuit with R12a/b?
It looks like there is a capacitor tied in there between R17 & R12a/b, is that some sort of a voltage divider circuit?
Does that capacitor have anything to do with the B+ level?
Should I start with one of the middle values that were supplied (200Ω or so) instead of the 470Ω that I used since it fell between the 10 & 1k values?

Its really just a CRCRC filtering of the B+ Capacitors will have an effect on the B+ but the standard values are just fine.

Really as long as you land somewhere between 250 and 300 or so that is the key. The voltage with the tubes out will be much higher since there will be no current flowing. Once the tubes are in and all running at ~10mA you can calculate what the drop will be calculating the values of R17 and R12a/b. V=I*R

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Slow But Steady

Here is the raw chassis after I burned the pattern onto it before the finish is applied.
The volume pot will be on the left side centered, the power switch will be on the right side centered.

Attachments

• chassis pattern.JPG
    chassis pattern.JPG
    680.4 KB · Views: 399
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to build the last few spacers for the power supply support.
Then I can install the power button, IEC socket & volume control.
Once that is finished I can put the roundovers on the corners and oil the chassis.
I'm really hoping to begin testing this weekend.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Chassis Finished, Final Assembly Begins

I have finally completed assembly.
After a bunch of holes, 4 coats of Tru-Oil & 2 coats of gun stock wax......Here She Is!
This was truly a time consuming yet very rewarding process.
Who would think a few pieces of hardwood flooring would look so good with such a simple finishing process.

Attachments

• Chassis Front.jpg
    Chassis Front.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Chassis Rear.jpg
    Chassis Rear.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 327
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Power Wiring Help

I am in need of help, I think I have the heater power figured out but my power transformer has a single 220v output no CT.
Does my HV wiring look good?
I have the 220v tap to the B+ pad with the ground of the 220v tap to the CT pad.
Is this correct?
Here is my transformer, Antek - AS-05T240.

Attachments

• Power WiringA.jpg
    Power WiringA.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Transformer Schematic.png
    Transformer Schematic.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 314
Joined 2011
Paid Member
B+ Pages

Here is a scan of the B+ pages in my assembly manual.
After further reading I think the grey and yellow should go to the two AC pads inside the circle.
This is the input of the Full Wave Bridge Rectifier.
Are my understandings correct.

Attachments

• B+ Pages.png
    B+ Pages.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 351
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I/O Wiring

Here is some pictures from the underside of the Preamp.
I have chosen to use RG316 for my I/O wiring, it's nice and small with silver plated copper conductor & shield.
It is very nice to work with and its Teflon dielectric & jacket make it suitable for high temp use.

Attachments

• IO Wiring.jpg
    IO Wiring.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 341
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Crackle

OK....I have plugged it in with heater power only I hear a very faint crackling sound.
I unplugged the unit and started feeling for hot capacitors....did not find any that were warm even.
I then checked for polarity and found all capacitors were proper polarity.
Where should I look next?
Should I plug it back in and test the heater voltage to make sure the regulator is working?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
OK I think I have the crackle taken care of.
I removed the CT for the heater because at closer inspection I discovered that I have configured heater for FWB w/o CT.
After I removed the CT I tested again and heard no crackling.
The Heater +- measures 6.28VDC, Perfect for my 6CG7's.

Now I'm on to testing the heater with tubes installed to make sure there is no large voltage drop when the regulator is loaded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.