my first try at a LM3886 layout, any comments/suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
XELB said:
BrianGT,
can you tell us something about the sound of the LM3886 dual mono and Stereo Kit ?

m0tion said:
The kits haven't been made yet, so, no one has tried them.

The boards are based off of the design the Carlos Filipe (carlosfm), which was built by other members with good results.

I will do a comparison myself when I get the new pcbs.

EDIT: finally hit 3 pages on this thread :) [with 50 posts per page view enabled in the options]

--
Brian

Joined 2002
XELB said:
I will wait for your report/review. ;)

But in the meanwhaile, count one PSU PCB and two LM3886 PCB for me :dead:
You will sell it without the parts, correct ?

Yes, I have the items on my order page on chipamp.com

I will be selling:
  • LM3886 dual mono pcb set (2 amp and 2 power supply boards)
  • LM3886 stereo pcb set (2 amp and 1 power supply boards)
  • LM3886 dual mono kit
  • LM3886 stereo kit

--
Brian

Joined 2002
I created more shipping options for international orders, for those only ordering pcbs, and I refunded the extra shipping for those who already submitted orders for pcbs only. Make sure to read over the shipping options carefully and selecting the appropiate one. I am sorry if it is confusing.

--
Brian

Brian, can you comment on the max current rating of you power supply board (rough estimate). To me it looks like a usefull candidate for a 'generic' power supply, also for different amps (class D UcD modules for instance). But in that case it would be nice to now if it will hold up to say 10A.

Rob

>Any ideas on a recommended tranny for this amp?

what ever the voltage, to take the advatage of higher current output of LM3886, I think it should be able to sustain 6Amp for each AC secondary output...

So for 18VAC, it would be 2x18x6 == 216VA == 225VA for each channel or 450VA for dual channel.

That also means that for 25VAC secondary it would be 2x25x6 == 300VA for each channel or 600VA for dual channel.

Regards,
---
David

Joined 2002
Re: power supply

MIB said:
Brian, can you comment on the max current rating of you power supply board (rough estimate). To me it looks like a usefull candidate for a 'generic' power supply, also for different amps (class D UcD modules for instance). But in that case it would be nice to now if it will hold up to say 10A.

The limiting factor for the power supply board is the heat dissipation for the diodes. Without heatsinks, 1 board can power 2 channels of the gainclone without the diodes getting too hot. I have not taken any measurement to see how much current this is. If you were to put heatsinks on the diodes, the power supply board would work for most applications. Also, I am currently not selling the power supply boards seperately from the pcb sets.

mantisory said:
Any ideas on a recommended tranny for this amp?

National has some suggestions on power supply voltages in the LM3886 data sheet:
"68w cont. avg. output power into 4 ohms at Vcc = +/- 28Vdc
38w cont. avg. output power into 8 ohms at Vcc = +/- 28Vdc
50w cont. avg. output power into 8 ohms at Vcc = +/- 35Vdc"

I attached a graph from the datasheet as well.

Link to datasheet:
http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM3886.pdf

--
Brian

Attachments

• output.gif
    output.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 820
what ever the voltage, to take the advatage of higher current output of LM3886, I think it should be able to sustain 6Amp for each AC secondary output...

To David : Give request to your school " money back " : by 2*18 V AC will be theoretical RMS output voltage cca 18 V, which is cca 80 W / 4 Ohm. Which is consumption by typical efficiency of SS amp 60 - 65 % ?

I don't really understand this second quote. Could someone elaborate on exactly how much power is recommended per channel for this amp?

To mOtion : That's the question, but in most amp is transformer dimensioned to nominal power consumption. " Overkilled " transformer bring although little bit better sound, but difference is not great and 225 VA transformer with secondary voltage 2*18 V, declared for one channel, IS " overkilled "

To homer : In my amp with LM 4780 I have 200 VA toroidal transformer with 2*25 V AC. Output power is ( by one channel driven ) little bit below 80 W/ 4 ohm. By both channels driven is it 2*60 W / 4 Ohm, 2*45 W/ 8 Ohm and in bridge configuration 120 W / 8 Ohm. With cca 300 VA transformer and the same voltage, you can to get app. 10 - 15 % more wattage, but it will be not for this chip safety, so you must use lower voltage.

Re: power supply

mantisory said:
Any ideas on a recommended tranny for this amp?

m0tion said:
Isn't there some reasonable way to calculate the amount of power needed?

homer09 said:
What VA rating do you recommend for a transformer with 25V secondaries that will power two channels?

I'm too lazy to do a forum search for you guys, but I'd bet hard cash this has been covered here before more than once.

Nat Semi's datasheet for the chip may also have some useful info. You wouldn't want to build one of these amps without knowing that datasheet from front to back.

Re: Re: power supply

BrianGT said:
National has some suggestions on power supply voltages in the LM3886 data sheet:
"68w cont. avg. output power into 4 ohms at Vcc = +/- 28Vdc
38w cont. avg. output power into 8 ohms at Vcc = +/- 28Vdc
50w cont. avg. output power into 8 ohms at Vcc = +/- 35Vdc"

Thats right but does that mean if you are running higher than +/- 28V then you cant run 4 ohm loads as easily or at all? or with less power?
I have read the datasheet, im just not sure how to interpret it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.