• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My ES9018 DAC/Amp/Controller..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Danny,

Thanks for your enthusiasm and compliments. Your analogy to DAC lego land is exactly what I envisioned when I started this project a little over a year ago.

You mentioned the problem that may arise from the stack height. Yes, you can turn the boards horizontally, that's one way. Another way is to connect the boards side by side instead of stacking using up to four synchronous clocks on the input board plus data using U.FL connectors instead of the ribbon cable. Stack spacing is less than 0.5". The maximum stack of 8 boards gives a height of less than 4". If you wanted to do full surround sound using one DAC/channel that would require 5 boards, the DAC board plus 4 I/V boards measures less than 2.5".

I don't think I'll provide user upgradeable firmware initially. I'll look into supporting an Apple remote. As far as the adapter jitter improvement, I haven't measured the jitter but it's considerably lower than taking it directly from the Amanero outputs. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Al

Amenaro + isolator + reclocking working in synchronous mode with es9018: that looks like the holy grail.

flexibility to switch between synchronous or asynchronous clocking.
Could you provide details about how this switching works ?

What kind of clock do you use for amanero reclocking for synchronous es9018 operation ?

Your i/v stage looks interesting I'd like to know if the i/v is suitable for driving low headphone impedance (like AudioTechnica woodies or Fostex TH-900):
- are LME49600 are used both SE and BAL outputs ?
- what is the output impedance ?

having a flashable micro-controller is always a big plus for diyers (that always need flexibility).

the biggest noobish interrogation I have regarding your pics is that I see:

amanero -> reclocker -> dac
And
amanero -> reclocker -> i2s/dsd/spdif switching board -> dac

is it possible to do the reclocking after the switching board ?
so that multiple i2s inputs could be reclocked and feed the es9018 in synchronous operation ? or did I just say an enormous stupid thing ?

I'm interested in multiples i2s inputs because i'd like to do a device which is both a slaved usb dac and a network media player (with something like a cubietruck onboard, which seems to have i2s outputs - and that probably needs heavy reclocking)

thanks for your patience.

thread subscribed, awaiting for further thrilling development :hbeat:

Last edited:
Hi GourouLubrik,

Here some answers to your questions.

Could you provide details about how this switching works?

The clock switching happens on the input board using a high speed relay that selects between the synchronous clock off the Amanero adapter board, or a 100 Mhz Crystek asynchronous clock that's on the input board. The user selects one of the two clocks using the tactile switches.

What kind of clock do you use for amanero reclocking for synchronous es9018 operation?

The adapter board accepts Crystek or Silicon Lab crystal oscillators. I've used both. They work really well.

Your i/v stage looks interesting I'd like to know if the i/v is suitable for driving low headphone impedance (like AudioTechnica woodies or Fostex TH-900):
- are LME49600 are used both SE and BAL outputs ?
- what is the output impedance ?

The LME49600 is used in the I/V section to help with power dissipation to handle up to 8 DACs in parallel. Yes the LME49600 are used for both SE and Balanced outputs. The SE outputs comes off an active LPF, but the balanced outputs come directly from the LME49600 through a resistor to the output connector. I haven't measured the output impedance on the balanced outputs so I can't say for sure what it is. I'll look into it.

is it possible to do the reclocking after the switching board ?
so that multiple i2s inputs could be reclocked and feed the es9018 in synchronous operation ?

It's possible to do the reclocking on the input board. Definitely something to think about especially for multichannel applications. I'll look into it, great question.

Thanks for the questions and interest.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
6 channels

Hello Al, just found this thread. I'm trying to build a music server (Linux/MPD) and do the crossover in the computer (BruteFIR); I will get 6 channels (low + mid + high for L & R) and was contemplating the USBStreamer board from minidsp.com that outputs 8 channels of I2S that is ideal for me. Your board can take 8 channels of I2S, correct ?? (I actually need only 6). If it can, please sign me up for a 6 channels DAC board with I2S input.

Thank you, Alex

Hi Alex,

It's designed for your application. If you're fine with one DAC/Channel you'll need a total of four boards. The DAC board that provides up to 8 DACs, and three stereo I/V amplifier boards. Each I/V board provides SE as well as balanced outputs. Of course you can stack more DAC boards if you want more than one DAC/channel. I have you on my list. Thanks!

Best regards,

Al

Update

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to let everybody know that I have selected an assembly house to populate the SMD devices on each board. I'll be soldering the through hole devices myself. With the assembly squared away I'll start providing pricing for the individual boards within the next couple weeks, and start taking orders shortly after that. In December I should have all the boards ready to go, and if everything goes to plan start shipping in early January. The Holidays will make it a bit tricky, but I'll also get some time from my regular job so I should be able to balance things out.

I'm 100% committed to making this work for everybody. I hope you all hang in there with me. Thanks!

Best regards,

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.