MUSES 72320 electronic volume

Okay, so what is the best way for volume regulation?
IMO relay based R-2R attenuator with discrete stages.. Convenient, possible to work at low impedance (noise), lowest possible signal degradation (distortion, accuracy, crosstalk..), not too expensive. Or rotary switch with quality resistors, but remote control is than very problematic.

IMO relay based R-2R attenuator with discrete stages..

It took me a while to find good sounding relays. There is, of course a question: would they stay good sounding forever? Or at least for a year or two? :) Would a small amount of dc at the inputs affect them negatively?

And definitely not R-2R. Way too many junctions and resistors. Rather use as many relays as volume steps you need.

Fwiw i find the Panasonic TQ series to be more transparent than commonly used switches such as Elma. But at the end, went back to Shallco.

It took me a while to find good sounding relays. There is, of course a question: would they stay good sounding forever? Or at least for a year or two? Would a small amount of dc at the inputs affect them negatively?
What is "good sounding"?? For me , it is no "sound footprint". Other questions are the valid same way for rotary switches as for relays.. DACT switches - mechanical life 25000 cycles, SHALLCO -???, . e.g. RY series signal relay (Fujitsu) - mechanical life 1e7 cycles, electrical 2e5 cycles at max. allowed load, DC is not problem (but in audio path??).
R-2R- I mean L-pads, binary weighted ( so max. 8 relays in for 128dB atternuation and 0,5dB step (overkill , 6-7 relays and 1dB step is more than enough for practical use).

BV;3611369R-2R- I mean L-pads said:
Pass Labs had a similar system in their Aleph P1.7. Besides the permant clicks and clacks which made owners - like me - nervous it costs lots of board space and is a really expensive system compared to a MUSES and all other electronic attenuators.

I agree that this R-2R-system is a high quality attenuator, and AFAIK you have one. I suggest you to open a new thread and present it community.

Nevertheless once again I am irritated that you bothered against the MUSES.

Let's wait for Stefano's report; in a PM I could inform me about his audio system which I must confirm it to be High End (or rather close to it).

If his test is positive I think we should stop all discussions about MUSES' quality because we then have 2 references: XP30 AND Stefano.

May be somebody then won't accept Stefanos test because he is no "official" reviewer; but for me this does not matter.

What is "good sounding"?? For me , it is no "sound footprint". .

Exactly. At the time i got about a dozen relays and connected the normally closed contact pair at the input of my pre. With most of the relays, the inclusion of the junction was immediately if subtly audible. The "active", power-on contact fared much worse - not sure if the magnetised coil had an effect or the contact pressure under activation was less than that of the spring.

In any case, the Panasonic relays were startlingly good compared to the rest. As for longevity, i have no idea if a few mV of dc can cause any long term deterioration or not, but the idea that the contact surfaces are not self-cleaning leaves me uneasy.

the short answer is if you want convenient high performance, use the MUSE or DS parts (no internal op amps) as attenuators and the gain stage or buffer of your choice.

mlloyd1

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for...a turn-key ready(other than adding a power supply), remote controlled volume control to use in front of the BUF03 buffers I'm currently using.

I'm hoping Spiri can come up with such a system using the MUSE. I haven't seen such a system using the DS1882 available and unfortunately I'm not smart enough to design such a system.

Again, I struggle to understand why people are trying at all cost to use something else other than Muses that has been already developed and ready to plug in, without even having it auditioned it at all first? If it sounds bad that is understandable, but first it should be tried to determine if it has any potential.
This leaves me wondering!! :eek::confused::confused:

I will offer a fair and unbiased review for whoever wants to benefit from it.
It is done on a top level system, hopefully it can help people here as it helped me to decide for their own. :spin:
:cool:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for...a turn-key ready(other than adding a power supply), remote controlled volume control to use in front of the BUF03 buffers I'm currently using.

I'm hoping Spiri can come up with such a system using the MUSE. I haven't seen such a system using the DS1882 available and unfortunately I'm not smart enough to design such a system.

exactly, my board is made for such an application. The buf03 fits perfectly with the muses.
unfortunately, you need the 5 Volts for the processor and the relais, but you can use the regulated power supply from the BUF03 (< +/-15V)
or also your unregulated power supply if it is not higher than +/- 35 Volts.

Then you have the convenience of a remote control for the volume and input select combined with a high end volume control.
Send me a pm or a post in the vendor bazar to give me an insight into your system.
I will also prepare a board for you.

again, not bad mouthing the muse or somebody else's muse-based design.
for folks that like doing their own thing, and had trouble getting their hands on a muse or wanted a cheaper option that also performs quite well, they've got it in a cheaper, easier to obtain part.

where's the problem in that?

mlloyd1

I am very excited to finally present my review on the Muses chip.
It took me quite some time to put everything together and in a presentable form.
I hope you folks will enjoy the reading.

Don't hesitate to ask any clarification and question....in the end...I really enjoyed reviewing this component on my sound system.

Sorry I had to zip the word document because the size was greater than what is allowed for this format on the attachment page.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Review.zip
    471.1 KB · Views: 571
Last edited: