MUSES 72320 electronic volume

I can confirm that, just look at the datasheet and you will see it for yourself.
The Muses is simply an integrated potentiometer, with an extremely short signal path (unmatched by any discrete solution) and very high number of steps.
You add on top of that maximum flexibility and you got a very, very good, modern and refined volume control.

The Muses is simply an integrated potentiometer, with an extremely short signal path (unmatched by any discrete solution) and very high number of steps.
It is simple resistor network (on chip..) and a lot of SS switches (linearity issues..). It is for sure not the best solution, discrete solution (resistor network with quality relays) can relative easy outperform it by order.. That is why I asked about measured performance.
I tried (used) a lot of WM8816, PGA2320, MAS6116, and DAC8043 in multiplying mode too. Measured performance and sound was best with DAC (quality of on chip switches and resistors ..), and variable gain help to improve S/N ratio.

Last edited:
I wonder that several members oppose so intensely against this MUSES-chip.
Yes, there are many possibilties to attenuate an audio signals; a perfect solution in every respect still has to be invented.

But – and it’s a big “but”:

It’s a fact that the MUSES sounds superb; at least Wayne from Pass Labs has proved this with his XP30. Pass Labs has tried several solutions for signal attenuation in the past, starting with relay-switched resistors (Alpeh) to shunt attenuators switched with bipolar devices (X-series).

And it’s also a fact that specs from different solutions may outperform the MUSES.

May I remember that here we are discussing in an AUDIO-forum and not in a SPECS-forum!

Though it is not hard to guess that I personally prefer the MUSES (not only because of Wayne, but also for freedom of following active stage) - nobody is forced to use it; everybody is free to go his own way.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder that several members oppose so intensely against this MUSES-chip.
No, no way, I am simply curious about realistic specs, because I tried a lot of different circuits for same purpose, volume regulation..And I believe that sound quality(purity) is dictated by signal quality, and signal quality by circuit specs and by realization.
The only known measured performance with preamp using Muses72320 (XP30 test in Stereophile) is realistic and good, but not so different from previous circuit like WM, PGA and others, and it is IMO not so excellent. And I am curious, if it is dictated by 72320 properties, or by following active circuitry.

Last edited:
It’s a fact that the MUSES sounds superb; at least Wayne from Pass Labs has proved this with his XP30.

To say that an attenuator sounds superb because of one single implementation is a little presumptuous. Are we going to put the same amount of R&D and testing into our linestage, component selection and power supply as Pass Labs? No. What I'm saying is that there is a big difference between the performance of a single attenuator IC and a whole preamp.

I'm not against this project though, I think spiri has done a great job so far and anyone who is blazing a new trail with a new idea or components on these forums is a winner in my books and I am looking forward to the results :up: :)

Just to put more meat at stake...ahaha...I just requested two sets of balance volume control.
I will carefully listen to it and compare it to best discrete solution: Audio series DACT attenuator and discrete ELMA switch with audio PRP resistors.

When I will receive the boards i will start the process of reviewing the muses on my reference system.

It will be really an interesting journey...so hang on tight...this should answer a lot of questions I have seen above!! Can't wait to get this started!!:smash:
:cool:

Last edited:
OK, and you cannot show THD vs.freq. measurement for this SS divider, simply IN-OUT, if possible for gains e.g -10dB, -20dB and output load 10kohm, input voltage 1V RMS, conditions near real use ?

Because you are so freaky about specs - some are already published here:

Pass Laboratories XP-30 line preamplifier | Stereophile.com

https://passlabs.com/pdfs/reviews/Pass_XP30_hifi_records_3_2012.pdf

I hope you are aware that the MUSES is followed by an active gain stage here and agree that even the best gain stage can’t improve specs.