Munich 2019 -Sb Acoustics room

I just received my pair.
Very sensitive as stated in the data sheet. I just quickly put one driver on a piece of basotect and measured distortion. (I want to build a 4way speaker plus subwoofer with minimal distortion.)

For 2,8V I got 0,3% THD on 1,1khz. With a bump on 2,8kHz reaching 0,55% distortion. (this is already really loud)

For 1V its about its in the range of 0,1% for 1,1kHz. With a bump on 2,8kHz reaching 0,2% distortion.

I think with a real baffle (not the naked driver on basotect) you would get more level on 1kHz and also the sweetspot of low distortion would be shifted a little bit down in frequency.

Here is the image

Attachments

• 20201015_125329_HDR.jpg
    20201015_125329_HDR.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 20201013_081711.jpg
    20201013_081711.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 20201013_081704.jpg
    20201013_081704.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 431
The smaller speaker is called Menara (indonesian for Tower - it is 124 cm tall). It uses the following drivers:

1 × TW29BN-8
1 × MD60N-6 (handmade prototype drivers)
2 × MW19PNW-4
1 × MW19PNW-8

Unexpectedly, this speaker won an award at the show (check out SB Acoustics on facebook or instagram). I believe the reviewer thought it was a consumer product and later found out that it wasn't (it is quite a conceptual speaker, actually). Anyway, we got the award and that is pretty cool - guess we must be doing something right :)

Hi Urlik
Do you have plan for making Menara as a kit or plans with crossover details ?

Here is the image

I love large midrange domes and the Satori MD60N-6 looked promising at first with its extended FR an mid 90s dB efficiency. I'm quite sure these drivers were designed by SB specifically for their own needs and ended up being released as a trial to test the waters. Their performance based on a few credible sources was sub par with excess THD across the FR being an issue, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll sound bad if its mainly the even order harmonics that are high.

I've used the Dynaudio D52AF + D76AF, Seas H304, ATC SM75-150 (sadly no longer available to diy) with success, however my current two favorite large domes are the Morel MDM55/CAM558 and Vifa/Scan Speak D75MX-41-08. They both have limited applications (mainly for 4 way systems IMO), but sound magical when carefully implemented with the correct HP filter. In that setting they can offer better macro dynamic detail retrieval than most smaller cone drivers and sound very open / natural with critical playback sources like vocals, piano and solo acoustic instruments.

Many others claim that modern one inch dome tweeters can cross very low, eliminating the need for larger midrange domes. I don't feel thats entirely true and still prefer the sound of a larger 3+ way system with a larger dome. They just sound more musical to my ears, especially when a large dynamic range is needed.

I suppose I should have done this sooner but time is limited and I'm a banana.

Thanks USXX for steering me in the right direction and your dipole tower sounded first class.

Photo's I took at the event...

If there is interest in a group buy of drivers look to count me in.

Snax

Design of both of these is amazing… anyone heard anything more about them being offered as a kit?