• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mullard 5-20 KT88 PP blocks!

Exactly. Does anybody know if the Edcors tend to run a little hot on the output V?

SGregory: sorry about that, the 380V vs 360V explains the regulation confusion.

It looks like your XPWR0033 has about 9% regulation, which is reasonable.

So, for the Ecdor XPWR002 inputting 9% regulation, 360V, 220ma into PSUD transformer properties box gives an R of 32.4 ohms.

The original design uses a guess of 31R....so, should be close enough. Also, since we are not going to be pulling 220ma, the voltage will be a bit higher, which can be adjusted once built with different values of C1.

If you want to later experiment with 500+V B+, then more transformer volts will be needed.

That was my experence
I got 2 edcor KPWR007 (275-0-275) 120v Primary for some monoblocks. At 120v in I was getting 300-0-300, funny thing was at 115v in it was exacaly 275-0-275, I talked to them and they said send it back and if its not right they would send me another one. both of them were the same so I didn't bother. They are 200ma and I am only running around 100ma but still I would think it would have been closer.

Almost there!

After dozens of e-mails that Steve Brown patiently answered, the two chassis are wired up (minus the CCSs) and ready to go in the bases.

Got one base glued up and ready to trim after making certain it fit.

Seeing daylight and getting excited after only 2 years of gestation!

Attachments

• IMG_3494a.jpg
    IMG_3494a.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_3523_1.JPG
    IMG_3523_1.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_3525_1.JPG
    IMG_3525_1.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 946
Hi Sootsboots, yes, I've completed the amp. I made several posts about early adjustments a couple pages ago. Overall a nice amp, plenty of power, but not as nuanced as I'd like. I also found it had far too much gain. I eventually rewired the EF86 for triode (kept same plate voltage) and eliminated the NFB. That helped sonics considerably. Next I triode wired the KT88's and that helped even more. So in the end, it wasn't a Mullard. Over time, I actually rebuilt the chassis into a SE 300B amp using the same power supply as the Mullard.

Sounds like it was moderate success. I made monoblocks using KT77 tubes, cathode bias, a 6cg7 PI, and a 12bh7 front end. Good but not as good as i think it could be. I definitely liked it better with no GFB and wired as triodes. I have never tried an EF86 in front but i use. CD player and think the gain may be over the top. I may try the E86 triode wired just to see how it sounds. I am using Transcendar 5k OTs good to 30W but i really dont need that much power so i am happy with triode wired power tubes. That can change however, when i get different speakers...

Jp

After three years of learning, blundering, stops, starts, surgeries and finally a 3000 mile trek to the home of my pal Steve Brown, my Soloist 88s a la Steve are playing.

There were issues with the crummy quality control of Edcor over the 40 volts, not 60 of the bias supply. The outrageously high gain due to omitting NFB was cured by triode wiring the EF86 and padding the input with 275k resistors. Steve also recommended Mundorf MCap Supremes for the .47s. He also performed a few other tweaks simplifying the bias supply.

We are listening to the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and loving the power of the bass with the room vibrating from the pedal tones but still having beautiful tone from the violins and wood winds. Hearing the sweetness of Alison Krause voice a little later shows the finesse possible from this circuit, the Hammond 1690 OPTs and the Gold Lion KT 88s.

Steve had built a pair back when the thread was current but wound up converting them, not that impressed, to 300Bs. Hearing these amps with the changes he made, Steve is seriously considering building them again, they sound that good. I would put the quality of sound up against any of the KR Audio amps, several of which I have had at home for extended periods.

They're are so many competing designs here and all with their proponents. The Soloist 88s deserve a place near the top of what the DiY'r should build in this category.

Help me think through this. I have built this amp (Rev 0.5 1/30/10) and modified it by removing feedback and yes, I know that introduces some bandwidth reduction and reduces the damping factor a bit, but I'm using the 1650 - 5k OPT and to me it sounds wonderful. However, that means way too much gain so I changed the EF86 to triode and balanced it so I have similar plate voltage compared to pentode - don't remember what that is, I think around 100v. But still too much overall gain. I'm thinking of changing the 12AT7 to something with lower amplification factor like 6SN7 or 12AY7. Since the grid voltage is fixed and the cathodes work into a CCS, are there any changes needed at the plate loads? I'm thinking not. And yes, of course I know, the 6SN7 needs a different socket. Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
I assume the schematic you are referencing is the one attached to post #316.

Serendipitously, the plate loads are, from the looks of things, about right if converting to a 6SN7.

Several things to look at:
  • The setting on the CCS will need a careful look. I'd try to tune it so that the 6SN7 is biased at about -4V to -5V grid with respect to cathode and about 8 mA quiescent current through the CCS, although this is somewhat subjective. Need the bias point set so there is enough voltage swing allowed on both upper and lower sides of quiescent point to allow clean drive of the KT88s.
  • The feedback network will need to be redone.
  • The high frequency tuning network (R12 and C11) will need to be redone.

So it's basically a whole new frontend design, but, should be a good performer when done. :)

Thanks, kward. As I mentioned, there is no global feedback. I'm wondering if 8ma is enough (currently set to 7ma - 3.5ma per side). Let's say the B+ is 450v and the grid is sitting at 100. So the cathode would come in at 92v. If we do 5 ma per side, looks like -15v bias. And if I'm reading things correctly, plenty to swing the KT88's. Or am I missing something?

My mistake. You did say no negative FB.

If the grid is at 100V, then the cathode should be at 104V or thereabouts. What's missing is the voltage on the plates under quiescent conditions. I assume that's about 250V, so that there is about 150V across the tube from plate to cathode. If that's the case, then there does appear to be plenty of voltage swing allowed.

Remember there are three parameters needed to bias a triode: grid voltage with respect to cathode, plate voltage with respect to cathode, and plate current.

From the info you have provided, I'm guessing the tube is biased at about -4V, 150V, and 4 mA. (with the grid sitting at 100V, the cathode sitting at 104V, and the plate sitting at approx 250V)