Motor for turntable

jnoneiliv1 & others

For those looking to experiment with Hurst motors go on ebay and search " 300rpm hurst motor " and you can buy all you need for experimentation for around $30 US.

Its a shame there are so few choices when it come to good AC turntable motors. The motor was a major problem when I made my turntable. I am lucky enough to be a hobby machinist with a couple of lathe's and a Bridgeport mill at hand. I have some friends that are high end audio dealers and wound up acquiring a TW Acoustic motor and controller and that solved my problem but most people on this for forum do not this option. I hope a good motor can be had/made/modified so everyone can enjoy good analog sound.

Arch Stanton:

You and I are on the same page. Carbide is a great ( the best IMHO ) material for a rotating shaft. It is much more expensive then a steel shaft and that is why only very few high end turntable mfg. use it.

The low voltage Project AC motors are solid, well balanced, low noise and not expensive.

I wonder what motors are! I mean is it a rebranded hurst? Ahaha!
I don't have any complaints vibration wise, just shaft makes a little noise and I wonder if that comes from something that can be solved!
I mean what will a carbide do for that noise? Maybe rigidity wise will have less resonance!
Maybe that could be one of the elements that can be modified if we can find a part replacement.

Also can anybody here advice where I can get a pulley manufactured to accommodate the 1/2inch tape?
What is the best material for pulley?

jnoneiliv1 & others

For those looking to experiment with Hurst motors go on ebay and search " 300rpm hurst motor " and you can buy all you need for experimentation for around $30 US.

Its a shame there are so few choices when it come to good AC turntable motors. The motor was a major problem when I made my turntable. I am lucky enough to be a hobby machinist with a couple of lathe's and a Bridgeport mill at hand. I have some friends that are high end audio dealers and wound up acquiring a TW Acoustic motor and controller and that solved my problem but most people on this for forum do not this option. I hope a good motor can be had/made/modified so everyone can enjoy good analog sound.

Arch Stanton:

You and I are on the same page. Carbide is a great ( the best IMHO ) material for a rotating shaft. It is much more expensive then a steel shaft and that is why only very few high end turntable mfg. use it.

Which manufacturer uses carbide in the shaft? Please advice I will buy the motor!
Also what do you mean $30 you can get everything for the hurst motor?
Replacing parts?

I researched they are just like hurst motor nothing worse nothing better!
I am wonder though...would it be worth it to buy a motor from a huge big tt manufacturer!!! I mean is it possible to do that? I am assuming somebody must be making better motors than hurst for Pete sake :)

Stefano-

There seem to be a lot of Chinese mfrs offering TT motors on e-Bay:

AC Refined Synchronous Motor for The Turntable | eBay

I'm looking into a machine shop near my location to turn some pulleys on a CNC lathe. Depending on the cost, I might offer them for sale as a replacement to VPI's part ($50 from VPI direct:eek:). As Arch Stanton said, it will be more difficult to machine a pulley with a barrel shape if you are going to use a flat belt.

I don't get it. If I am going to use a flat belt such as Mylar tape, why would the pulley need to be barrel shape?
Shouldn't it be flat with little end steps where the tape precisely aligns and doesn't wonder around?
Having a pulley that can accommodate the tape with your controller would've a killer combination.
Were you thinking of making a pulley for tape for VPIs?

Stefano-

There seem to be a lot of Chinese mfrs offering TT motors on e-Bay:

AC Refined Synchronous Motor for The Turntable | eBay

I'm looking into a machine shop near my location to turn some pulleys on a CNC lathe. Depending on the cost, I might offer them for sale as a replacement to VPI's part ($50 from VPI direct:eek:). As Arch Stanton said, it will be more difficult to machine a pulley with a barrel shape if you are going to use a flat belt.

Bill,

I checked that on ebay, but it is 50HZ 220V motor and has no pulley.
I do like the dedicated pod though. :D

Stefano-

I think at the bottom of the e-Bay page, they mentioned something about special order for 60Hz/115V. Just a thought; I think there a quite a few others as well.

I tried a flat replacement belt on my Scout and it just rides up or down on the spindle. If the axis of the motor shaft and platter bearing are off in any direction, the belt will slide off the spindle. I think a slight barrel shape with flanges on both top and bottom will keep it from migrating. I wonder if a slightly concave shape would work as well?

I'm looking to the machine shop to make a standard replacement pulley for the VPI motor assembly for use at 300RPM with the standard round belt. I'm too cheap to pay $50 for a little piece of aluminum. Depending on what they cost to make, I might offer them for sale.

I like the idea of offering an upgrade package: 24V 300RPM motor with dual output PSU, tach and new pulley. If you can source a belt and we can figure out a pulley design, I would consider doing a flat belt version as well.

You can't source that type of belt! we would have to make it.
They are few links that explain clearly how to make it and people who tried it never looked back.
Ppl who have vpi already have pulley and motor. Almost all the tables now are 300RPM stock. If you want to make some interesting upgrade you can make a different system like I said a flat belt.
If you read around you can see that the belt solution is the worse.
The best solution IMHO would be to have external pod so the level can be independently adjusted on separate shelf right by the tt with flat Mylar belt an improved or different motor (ppl know they can buy a hurst motor for cheap at their website).
Just my two cents :)

I don't get it. If I am going to use a flat belt such as Mylar tape, why would the pulley need to be barrel shape?
Shouldn't it be flat with little end steps where the tape precisely aligns and doesn't wonder around?
Having a pulley that can accommodate the tape with your controller would've a killer combination.
Were you thinking of making a pulley for tape for VPIs?

Stefanoo,

A flat belt on flat pulley and flat platter will run right off the pulley/platter unless it is absolutely parallel both platter and pulley and then it won't stay that way for long. Putting a very slight crown on the pulley causes the belt to find the highest point and stay there. Given a flat pulley you can chuck it in a lathe or mount it to a variable speed drill and with a file and some fine sandpaper create the required crowning. Your chances of the belt climbing right up the sides of end steps and either running off the pulley or staying on top of the step like it was a crown are excellent too. I did find that a small groove in the pulley works well to capture and hold the very thin thread belt.

Rgds,
BillG

Stefanoo:

I mean you can buy the whole hurst motor of about $30 us on ebay. Sorry I wasn't clear. The only turntable mfg. I can think of at the moment who uses a carbide turntable bearing shaft is " Ttw " which are made in Canada and on only the top models. You can look on AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community under turntables. Nobody I know of uses a carbide shaft on a turntable motor unless it is DIY. Using a carbide shaft would only be good if you are using bushings in the motor and of no use if using ball bearings.

Here is a link to TW Acoustic tables.
I wonder

a) what brand of motor they use?
b) does their motor control have phase adjustment?
c) what is the price if somebody wants to buy the external motor with 3 motors built in
(obviously the controller there would need to be more powerful)
d) what material is their flat belt made of?