Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Wonder what causes the issues in some instances. I don't PERSONALLY think it's necessarily a Pi Imager issue, as in MY case, the behavior was exactly the same using the online update OR Imager through the custom OS function.

I THINK Pi has small revisions in their boards over time within the same series. Maybe that's playing into whether online or Imager's custom OS function is successful or not? Oh well, at least for now mine is up and running. It will be interesting if the same thing happens with the next update.

Wonder what causes the issues in some instances. I don't PERSONALLY think it's necessarily a Pi Imager issue, as in MY case, the behavior was exactly the same using the online update OR Imager through the custom OS function.

I THINK Pi has small revisions in their boards over time within the same series. Maybe that's playing into whether online or Imager's custom OS function is successful or not? Oh well, at least for now mine is up and running. It will be interesting if the same thing happens with the next update.
I have never really had a problem that I can remember with either an in-place update, or a fresh image going all the way back to v2.7, so this was definitely a new thing for me and very strange, but repeated attempts all ended the moment I tried to enter the Configuration screens, the buttons were there, but clicking them did nothing and the unit was then relatively unresponsive, I could go back and try to start an internet radio station, but the station list had vanished and the playback pane was frozen at that point.

I guess I could add the following variable, this is a brand newly acquired board and a version that I had never used before with Moode, an 8GB v1.5 model whose ID in Moode's system Information now reads : Pi-4B 1.5 8GB.

But the failures repeated themselves all other things remaining the same (power supply, microSD card) until I used the very same downloaded image with Balena Etcher, and that attempt somehow went fine where the previous 3-4 tries using the Pi imager tool with both that same downloaded image, and also prior to that using the Imager Tool's ability to select Moode from the Media Player options.

One other note that further clouds this issue, I had just prior to this series of failed attempts on the new 4B board updated two older units that has been in a storage bin, a 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, and a 3B+ with no HAT. Both times using the Pi Imager tool and selecting Moode from the available Media Player options.

Neither of those had any issue with writing a new image to an existing microSD card, overwriting 6.7.1 in the process, and resulting in a fully working Moode player, no hiccups at all.

My 4B is a couple years old - don't know how old off hand. I got it a few years ago to try out IanCanada's Fifo with i2s hat for my Directstream. It worked, but not quite as good as I had hoped, so it was pretty much sitting around for at least 8 months or so, maybe a year.

The weirdest part, to me, is the problems experienced were the same between the in-place update AND Imager update through Custom OS, so it APPEARS to be the same "flaw" between the two. MAYBE when I used the built in Media Player function, I just got lucky, and had I tried it again (for sh*ts and giggles), it would have borked it again - I'll never know because I'm not going to chance it for now.

If the in-place update fudges on the next one, I will take your experience and skip Imager and use Balena.

Don't forget that per our announcements in our socials that moOde ISO images starting with 8.3.0 are more secure and do not contain SSH, or a default userid/password or Access Point password.

There is a link on the Download page at moodeaudio.org to the Setup guide which contains information on enabling SSH, creating the pi userid and password and WiFi SSID and password using the Raspberry Pi Imager.

I don't PERSONALLY think it's related to the problem, as I could use the Custom OS function of imager and create base 8.3.0 images, and it works every time.

8.3.0 was the first one I used, using Custom OS, because I didn't even know it was already available in the Media Player option at the time - I only learned Moode was available there when i was trying to figure out what was going on with 8.3.2.

In either case, I never even bothered with setting SSH or Access Point for either version because I do not use it in that way - my purpose was just as a renderer for BubbleUpnp. I did note it always gave the warning about Access Point password, but never bothered with it since it worked fine without it (when I was using 3.0 with no problem).

moOde new images starting with 8.3.0 won't work correctly or even at all without an SSH userid = pi and password. SSH is needed so that you can help us provide troubleshooting by providing logs and other information from the system thats not readily available via the WebUI. I'll add to the TODO list to state something more explicit about this in the Setup guide.

If you use something other than the Raspberry Pi Imager then there is a link in the Setup guide to the Raspberry Pi documentation that explains how to manually enable SSH and create a userid and password on the image before first boot. Here is the link https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/. Scroll to the "Headless setup" section.

Current information on what's going on with moOde including upcoming release info is posted in our support Forum and Mastodon social feed. As I mentioned earlier, due to time constraints I generally only post release announcements in this Thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Security upgrade/revision, driven not by Moode but by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and not just SSH disabled by default but also a new procedure required to set a userid and password upfront, rather than the use of a default userid and password on setup.

My own thinking on this from last week appears to have been flawed based on the problems I then had.

I had thought if the default userid and password and/or SSH enabled by default were now considered an unacceptable "open door" of sorts, then why not setup 8.3.x with no userid or password at all, and thus no SSH either, instead of an open door that needs to be closed, how about no door at all?

That really didn't work out, for me anyway, however this morning upon using the prescribed setup with the Raspberry Pi Imager tool as detailed on the Moode support site, a fresh 8.3.2 image was working normally, and I was also then able to apply my old settings and most crucially my custom internet radio stations, using the restore from backup utility.

So even though I'm still not entirely sure what/why I had so many problems last week, it appears if I had just followed the instructions in the first place I most likely would have avoided those issues.

A new comer here. I've been trying hard to be connected to Moode Audio. Nothing seems to be work. I am getting from windows 11 stating that "It takes too long to be connected, or this site can not be reached, etc. Http://moode or moode local or 172.24.1.1 with the same result. Just in case I connected to volumio, bingo. But I do hear that Moode may be a better option, so I have been trying to connect to Moode but without a result. I I am using Pi4b.

Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Stupid question, but I wonder why I am able to SSH into moOde using the old default userid/pwd. I loaded 64 bit 8.3.0 onto a Pi3b and then have updated online to current revision. Still able to SSH in with Putty. Why am I having no problemwith ssh, and under what condition will it fail to work?

A new comer here. I've been trying hard to be connected to Moode Audio. Nothing seems to be work. I am getting from windows 11 stating that "It takes too long to be connected, or this site can not be reached, etc. Http://moode or moode local or 172.24.1.1 with the same result. Just in case I connected to volumio, bingo. But I do hear that Moode may be a better option, so I have been trying to connect to Moode but without a result. I I am using Pi4b.

Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Have you read the Moode setup guide? If not you really should, especially since the changes to userid and password setup since 8.3.0 took place.

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I read the instruction many times. To be honest, my computer apt is bare minimum. So, I am struggling to understand the set up guide. I have been using the Pi imager to set the the userid and password. I can book up the moode os on the pi4b but just can't connect to the moode site.
i will keep trying. i don't like giving up

Reactions: 1 user
When you say "just can't connect to the moode site," do you mean you can't access the home page from another networked computer using "moode.local"

If so, have you tried accessing via the IP address of you Pi? I found that some browsers on some systems don't get through using "moode.local" and I have to use the IP address directly.

OK so it sounds then like you are trying to connect this unit via WiFi?

That IP address 172.24.1.1 is to utilize the Moode hotspot, so you need to look for an SSID called moode in your list of available WiFi networks, join that hotspot and use that IP as a temporary means of configuring the unit to join your own WiFi network after a reboot.

Alternatively, the way I like to do it is to always start with a wird ethernet connection, even if only temporarily, and use moode.local to enter the configuration UI. The moode.local address won't work on an Android device, but it should work using iOS, macOS, Windows, or Linux-based browsers.

If you changed the host name during the setup with the Raspberry Pi Imager tool, then the local address also changes to whatever you made that <new host name>.local.

The other option there when using a temporary ethernet connection is to use an app such as Fing to sniff the unit's IP address and enter that as the web address. From there you can then make the configuration for the unit to join your WiFi network, and then just reboot with the ethernet now disconnected.

I installed latest moodeaudio on Raspberry pi 4 and connected to display 8 inch. but the result is like on the picturea and the touchscreen not working. Anyone can help me to solve this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_4240.jpeg
    IMG_4240.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 80