Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim, I'm having exactly the same issue here too, I've just upgraded my existing system to 2.5, that’s using an Iqaudio amp+ and I'm experiencing no problems at all

Just built up a friends X400 using 2.5 and cannot select the customize menu at all - tried from Firefox & explorer on XP, Firefox on Linux and chrome on Android and all the same, even when I try to increase the volume beyond 20% and get the warning pop up asking if I want to increase the limit, it still does not go into customization menu - everything else works as expected.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I wasn't able to repro this. What happens if u select some other audio device on Customize menu?

Or is it that selecting the x400 in System config, I2S audio device works ok but then Customize menu does not work?

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

I wasn't able to repro this. What happens if u select some other audio device on Customize menu?

Or is it that selecting the x400 in System config, I2S audio device works ok but then Customize menu does not work?

Regards,
Tim

2nd one, X400 in system config, restart, all config options work so can set up the rest, but customize option doesn't do anything, only really need to remove the volume limit as very quiet on his system at 20% max

If I change the I2S device to Iqaudio digiamp+, and restart, it all works including the customize option

Thanks for trying at your end

Rob.

2nd one, X400 in system config, restart, all config options work so can set up the rest, but customize option doesn't do anything, only really need to remove the volume limit as very quiet on his system at 20% max

If I change the I2S device to Iqaudio digiamp+, and restart, it all works including the customize option

Rob.

Hi Rob, also @Serg,

I am able to repro this. I'll investigate in next couple of days. Looks like a bug.

Regards,
Tim

do your config (ip address, gateway, netmask) in /etc/network/interfaces

like:

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address MYIP
netmask MYNETMASK
gateway MYGATEWAY
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and ssid and password in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Also, looks like adding ssid_scan=1 between ssid and psk lines helps, so:

network={
ssid="yourssid"
ssid_scan=1
psk="yourpassword"
}

Also, I've noticed, that my network provider's DNS wasn't working correctly (couldn't connect to the external servers), so I've modified the /etc/resolv.conf by replacing the local DNS with Google's one: 8.8.8.8

Marek

Tried some configuration...nothing worked.
The setup is static IP with passwordless wifi. Any ideas?
Edit: Everytime i set the ip manually, on the next restart seemed like dhcp was working (I checked the router)

Last edited:
I'm looking to add a 5 pin rotary encoder as a volume control (left turn, right turn, press down, 3.3-5v, gnd). I'm hoping to use the press down momentary switch as a mute/unmute button - is this easy to hack into the scripts if it's not already coded? Where should I be looking? If it's easier, it could simply set volume to '0' and then require a 'right turn' to bring sound back. (Raspberry Pi 2 with Plain Dac+ and 7" touchscreen).

I'm still working on getting the official touchscreen working properly, but I'm much further on than I was last time I posted! I've got to a point where I can manually launch iceweasel in full 480x800 glory to the moode interface, but for some strange reason I can't get this to launch automagically on boot! I'll get there in the end lol.

(Double post since I can't edit *grumble grumble*)

For those who want to copy my steps so far:

NOTE: instructions with a # are manual things, without a # are ssh commands
Code:
#Write Moode 2.5 to SD Card
#Access [URL="http://moode/"]http://moode[/URL]
#Add CIFS share, Set moode to use Plain Dac+, ALSA volume to 82, Timezone to Europe/London, Expand Filesystem (automated reboot)
#Via ssh run:
sudo mkdir -p /home/pi
sudo touch /home/pi/.Xauthority
sudo chmod -R 775 /home/pi
sudo apt-get update
sudo  apt-get install lightdm xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xinit  libx11-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xinput evtest  autoconf iceweasel xul-ext-fullscreen unclutter 
sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
#Select "anybody"
sudo raspi-config
#Select Boot to desktop with user 'Pi'
#Reboot
#run manual command: (using keyboard attached to the Pi - running from remote terminal will cause an error "no screen found")
iceweasel [URL]http://moode/[/URL] --height=480 --width=800
So far, .xinitrc and local.rc commands have failed. I've yet to test a crontab @reboot command but I suspect I will have the same issue. In all instances I'm left at a command prompt... Please do note that no desktop environment is added - iceweasel runs fine without one from an xsession! I think adding a kde or gnome desktop would break Moode in a big way...

(Raspberry Pi 2 with Plain Dac+ and 7" touchscreen).

I'm still working on getting the official touchscreen working properly, but I'm much further on than I was last time I posted! I've got to a point where I can manually launch iceweasel in full 480x800 glory to the moode interface, but for some strange reason I can't get this to launch automagically on boot! I'll get there in the end lol.

I'm going to build a similar config with 7" official touchscreen... Does this 480x800 resolution work properly? Any issues, strange behaviour from 4:3 GUI design (scrolling, missing parts of the Gui)?
(I haven't got the DAC in my hands, so I can't test it yet)

Rob.
Hi Rob, also @Serg,

I am able to repro this. I'll investigate in next couple of days. Looks like a bug.
Regards,
Tim
Hi Tim,

(Release 2.5)
I have exactly the same behavior with "RaspyPlay4" and I solved this with "IQaudiO Pi DAC+" in the list instead of RaspyPlay4...

Best wishes!

I'm looking to add a 5 pin rotary encoder as a volume control (left turn, right turn, press down, 3.3-5v, gnd). I'm hoping to use the press down momentary switch as a mute/unmute button - is this easy to hack into the scripts if it's not already coded? Where should I be looking? If it's easier, it could simply set volume to '0' and then require a 'right turn' to bring sound back. (Raspberry Pi 2 with Plain Dac+ and 7" touchscreen).

Hi,

Moode has built in support for loading IQ_rot rotary encoder driver which supports 3-pin encoders. You would need to modify the driver code to add support for the other pins, and the actions that you want associated with the pins.

The IQ_rot sources are at IQaudIO Github.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

(Release 2.5)
I have exactly the same behavior with "RaspyPlay4" and I solved this with "IQaudiO Pi DAC+" in the list instead of RaspyPlay4...

Best wishes!

Hi,

This is bug involving a couple of the PCM5122 device database entries and some logic in the code.

Probably will be releasing 2.5.1 bugfix image with this and other fixes.

Regards,
Tim

I'm going to build a similar config with 7" official touchscreen... Does this 480x800 resolution work properly? Any issues, strange behaviour from 4:3 GUI design (scrolling, missing parts of the Gui)?
(I haven't got the DAC in my hands, so I can't test it yet)
You have to scroll to the volume control (half the reason I want to add a rotary encoder!) and need to scroll in the library. Other than that, the interface is pretty sound and seems to work without any issues. Scrolling is as simple as touch and drag. The only thing missing of course is an onscreen keyboard, but again, I've not worked out how to auto-launch them android/iphone style when you click on an input box (like search)

Hi

Just received a Pi 3 and tried to boot MoOde 2.5, nothing.
I thought the Pi 3 was backwards compatible with pi 2 software. Anyone else having problems.
Tried a download of noobs v1.8 built Feb 26 2016 which works as it should.

Duncan
Software - sure. An operating system is a bit more than just software though. Any linux program will likely need to be recompiled to work with the new architecture of the Pi 3. Once recompiled it'll work flawlessly. Packages such as noobs will have had access to the Pi3 for a while before official release which will have enabled them to make the required changes already. If you use a version of noobs or similar from 6-12 months ago then you'd likely run into the same issues. Guess we need to wait for Tim to get his hands on a Pi3 lol.

Software - sure. An operating system is a bit more than just software though. Any linux program will likely need to be recompiled to work with the new architecture of the Pi 3. Once recompiled it'll work flawlessly. Packages such as noobs will have had access to the Pi3 for a while before official release which will have enabled them to make the required changes already. If you use a version of noobs or similar from 6-12 months ago then you'd likely run into the same issues. Guess we need to wait for Tim to get his hands on a Pi3 lol.

Hi,

I'm going to wait until the dust settles on the Pi-3 and there is a knowledge base of info about what is exactly is required before I begin any investigation.

The official statement:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/
"Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2"

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Hi,

Moode has built in support for loading IQ_rot rotary encoder driver which supports 3-pin encoders. You would need to modify the driver code to add support for the other pins, and the actions that you want associated with the pins.

The IQ_rot sources are at IQaudIO Github.

Regards,
Tim
Which scripts/files should I be looking at to modify this to add an extra GPIO pin to the driver? I'm a complete noob at doing things like this

Which scripts/files should I be looking at to modify this to add an extra GPIO pin to the driver? I'm a complete noob at doing things like this

Hi,

It would require decent C programming skills, compiling and debugging, and knowledge of GPIO pin allocation. The IQaudIO Github has the C sources.

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm going to wait until the dust settles on the Pi-3 and there is a knowledge base of info about what is exactly is required before I begin any investigation.

The official statement:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/
"Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2"

Regards,
Tim

Not quite complete, I guess. There's apparently a bug with the onboard wifi - if the Pi 3 is used in headless mode power saving kicks in and you lose network access. Oops!

Hi,

It would require decent C programming skills, compiling and debugging, and knowledge of GPIO pin allocation. The IQaudIO Github has the C sources.

Regards,
Tim
Ahhhh, it's a full scale driver - I'd assumed it was a simple python script or similar, like others that tend to interact with GPIO pins. That's probably going to be way out of my league lol!