Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi spoke,

I just get into same trouble as you after I update my Moode to version 8.1.0 using the update function in Moode. I am not able to see my library anymore using Chrome (only left menu on right and buttons on bottom). May I know if you have fixed yours?

I have done below steps which doesn't help at all.
1) Clear CACHE in Chrome
2) Perform another minor update using update function in Moode and now it shows <Software is up to date>.

It seems to be a bug at player page but I am not sure if it is only us that face the problem.

Regards,
Liew
Good day,

Update to the problem I am facing. I am able to access to Moode front page now after I performed a complete removal on all caches/histories. Clearing cache alone for the Moode address did not help at all. Now I am running into another trouble, to locate my sites' passwords... :unsure::headbash:

I am somehow facing an issue with control when it was disconnected from an active Bluetooth mode. So yesterday when it was being used as Bluetooth receiver connected to my fire stick and after the stick was switched off without disconnecting the Bluetooth manually, I had the issue of delay and no response when I tried to press play for the Internet radio station.

Hi everybody, first of all thanks a lot to Tim and all developers for the great job with Moode. I am experiencing some problems with my Mambo player and I have not found a solution by searching around. My mambo worked fine for some years then I upgraded to a new version (6.7.1) a couple of years ago and soon after I started to have crashes and difficulties in playing my music saved on a 1Tb HDD directly connected to the mambo player (that is based on a Pi-3B 1Gb v1.2). Changed the HDD and everything was fine for one year then it started again with occasional crashes so a couple of months back I started a Spotify premium to mitigate HDD problems (when HDD has problems I switch to Spotify). Some days ago a new problem started to appear: MPD error failed to decode type and in correspondance with this problem also the Spotify is not able to stream to the mambo anymore: the mambo is still one of the options but as soon as you start playing the spotify app loses capacity to play. I hope someone would be able to advise :). I am not an advanced user of linux/moode but I hope I should be able to follow your instructions. Thanks in advance!

Hi everybody, first of all thanks a lot to Tim and all developers for the great job with Moode. I am experiencing some problems with my Mambo player and I have not found a solution by searching around. My mambo worked fine for some years then I upgraded to a new version (6.7.1) a couple of years ago and soon after I started to have crashes and difficulties in playing my music saved on a 1Tb HDD directly connected to the mambo player (that is based on a Pi-3B 1Gb v1.2). Changed the HDD and everything was fine for one year then it started again with occasional crashes so a couple of months back I started a Spotify premium to mitigate HDD problems (when HDD has problems I switch to Spotify). Some days ago a new problem started to appear: MPD error failed to decode type and in correspondance with this problem also the Spotify is not able to stream to the mambo anymore: the mambo is still one of the options but as soon as you start playing the spotify app loses capacity to play. I hope someone would be able to advise :). I am not an advanced user of linux/moode but I hope I should be able to follow your instructions. Thanks in advance!
Hello @gastalf...

I can only guess the Mambo player may be a standalone RPi-based player solution made by Collybia or just a Mamboberry HAT DACalso made by Collybia . Judging by the description of the issues you've had over a few years with the 'Mambo player' and two external HDDs it may be that the HAT DAC may need re-seating and/or the power supply (you do not give any info regarding it) may need replacement at least for testing purposes.
You may want to carry out the initial testing this way:
  • a freshly-installed current Moode version [ go to https://moodeaudio.org/ for the ISO image and SETUP guide ]
  • just the Raspberry Pi (no addon DAC, USB or HAT) and a good PSU
  • if you are happy with the inbuilt Moode audio test and a bunch of favourite radio stations you may want to connect the USB HDD and test the sound again using music files off that HDD
  • next step would be mounting the HAT DAC, changing settings, etc.

You may want to feed power to the USB HDD from an alternative PSU and also use for the RPi+HAT DAC a known-brand PSU supplying 5Vcc at a current in excess of 3.5A

I suggest you join the Moode forum [ https://moodeaudio.org/ ] by emailing Tim for the creation of an account at <tim at moodeaudio dot org> (I hope you get the hint on how the CORRECT address should be...)

Hello @gastalf...

I can only guess the Mambo player may be a standalone RPi-based player solution made by Collybia or just a Mamboberry HAT DACalso made by Collybia . Judging by the description of the issues you've had over a few years with the 'Mambo player' and two external HDDs it may be that the HAT DAC may need re-seating and/or the power supply (you do not give any info regarding it) may need replacement at least for testing purposes.
You may want to carry out the initial testing this way:
  • a freshly-installed current Moode version [ go to https://moodeaudio.org/ for the ISO image and SETUP guide ]
  • just the Raspberry Pi (no addon DAC, USB or HAT) and a good PSU
  • if you are happy with the inbuilt Moode audio test and a bunch of favourite radio stations you may want to connect the USB HDD and test the sound again using music files off that HDD
  • next step would be mounting the HAT DAC, changing settings, etc.

You may want to feed power to the USB HDD from an alternative PSU and also use for the RPi+HAT DAC a known-brand PSU supplying 5Vcc at a current in excess of 3.5A

I suggest you join the Moode forum [ https://moodeaudio.org/ ] by emailing Tim for the creation of an account at <tim at moodeaudio dot org> (I hope you get the hint on how the CORRECT address should be...)
Thank you Mike. Yes, the Mambo is a Collybia product described here: https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/mambo_player_e.html and I have a good PSU like this one (but I have other similar at hand): https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/. Regarding a new version of the moodeaudio software I can try but the last time I upgraded I had someone very kind at Collybia helping me and did not seem very easy process to me.

I would like to understand the reason why (i) I get this MPD error and (ii) cannot play Spotify anymore and if these two problems could be related...

Thank you Mike. Yes, the Mambo is a Collybia product described here: https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/mambo_player_e.html and I have a good PSU like this one (but I have other similar at hand): https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/. Regarding a new version of the moodeaudio software I can try but the last time I upgraded I had someone very kind at Collybia helping me and did not seem very easy process to me.

I would like to understand the reason why (i) I get this MPD error and (ii) cannot play Spotify anymore and if these two problems could be related...
Unless you've got a newer version of the iPower, that very well could be your issue in that the original version (the one you linked to) is only capable of 2.5 amps at 5 volts. While that was plenty for the RPi 3B, it is not really enough for a 4B, and especially not enough if the 4B is loaded down with any current hungry USB devices such as a HDD.

As @CallMeMike stated above, the use case you've described should really have 3.5 amps available for comfortable operation. The errors you are seeing could actually be the result of a corrupted Moode OS, due to under voltage that occurs when too much current is being demanded, many PSUs will sag the voltage in order to simultaneously meet the current demand, but if the voltage falls below a certain threshold of about 4.7 volts, the SD card is in great danger of corruption.

If you have the exact version of the iPower you linked to, it is not really enough current even for just the RPi 4B + Mambo HAT, let alone adding a the draw of a USB HDD to that equation. The best way to test that is to start with a fresh/clean install of Moode that you know is not corrupted, then add the Mambo HAT and play some internet radio for a while. If all is OK, then you can go about adding in the HDD to the mix to see if that's where the problems start, it probably is, and if you want to skip that test, buy a 3 or 3.5 amp PSU such as a Mean Well, PWR+, or newer iPower X version to rule out any power issues.

Can anyone share a success story involving Moode Audio + Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + wifi streaming + bluetooth?

I am unable to get clean sound when I connect the Zero to BT speakers - I get only crackling / choppy playing.

I found there are some issues with wifi / bt interference, but no specific workaround.
Hello, Im trying to pair to a bluetooth speaker as well from a Zero 2W. It pairs nicely. I get choppy audio output but at least its trying. Choppy with either a radio station or Spotify. I havnt tried onboard audio - is that worth trying? My goal is to take this on vacation with a bluetooth speaker.

Unless you've got a newer version of the iPower, that very well could be your issue in that the original version (the one you linked to) is only capable of 2.5 amps at 5 volts. While that was plenty for the RPi 3B, it is not really enough for a 4B, and especially not enough if the 4B is loaded down with any current hungry USB devices such as a HDD.

As @CallMeMike stated above, the use case you've described should really have 3.5 amps available for comfortable operation. The errors you are seeing could actually be the result of a corrupted Moode OS, due to under voltage that occurs when too much current is being demanded, many PSUs will sag the voltage in order to simultaneously meet the current demand, but if the voltage falls below a certain threshold of about 4.7 volts, the SD card is in great danger of corruption.

If you have the exact version of the iPower you linked to, it is not really enough current even for just the RPi 4B + Mambo HAT, let alone adding a the draw of a USB HDD to that equation. The best way to test that is to start with a fresh/clean install of Moode that you know is not corrupted, then add the Mambo HAT and play some internet radio for a while. If all is OK, then you can go about adding in the HDD to the mix to see if that's where the problems start, it probably is, and if you want to skip that test, buy a 3 or 3.5 amp PSU such as a Mean Well, PWR+, or newer iPower X version to rule out any power issues.
Thanks Mikey and all. As you can read from my original post my player is based upon a 3B and not a 4B. In addition, the HDD has its own PSU. Is there any way I can run a test as to determine where the problem lies? As said I am not an advanced user but if you explain patiently how to proceed I can try anything. In any case, I have now linked another PSU with 3,5A and up to now I am not getting MPD errors but still Spotify is unable to play on the Moode. I also tried to cancel cache and restart sportify to no effect. Any idea?

Thanks Mikey and all. As you can read from my original post my player is based upon a 3B and not a 4B. In addition, the HDD has its own PSU. Is there any way I can run a test as to determine where the problem lies? As said I am not an advanced user but if you explain patiently how to proceed I can try anything. In any case, I have now linked another PSU with 3,5A and up to now I am not getting MPD errors but still Spotify is unable to play on the Moode. I also tried to cancel cache and restart sportify to no effect. Any idea?
Sorry for my misunderstanding regarding the use of a 3B, I don't know why I read that as 4B, my mistake.

I didn't see any reference to the HDD being self powered though, so I really thought that was the source of at least some of your issue, and perhaps it was if substituting a 3.5 amp supply has eliminated the MPD errors.

I see Tim has answered regarding Spotify in particular, so you should be on the road to resolution.

It appears to be an issue in the Spotify access point services.
https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot/issues/972

I'm guessing the librespot crew will be investigating and hopefully can provide a fix or workaround. Some users have indicated that adding the line below to the file /etc/hosts resolved their issue.

0.0.0.0 apresolve.spotify.com
Thanks a lot. Could someone explain simply enough how to do this please? Honestly I have no idea on how to access/modify that file although I graduated in IT high school back in 1987 :)

Sorry for my misunderstanding regarding the use of a 3B, I don't know why I read that as 4B, my mistake.

I didn't see any reference to the HDD being self powered though, so I really thought that was the source of at least some of your issue, and perhaps it was if substituting a 3.5 amp supply has eliminated the MPD errors.

I see Tim has answered regarding Spotify in particular, so you should be on the road to resolution.
Unfortunately the MPD error appeared also with the new PSU. I need to find another solution :(. Where would you start if you were in my shoes?

Unfortunately the MPD error appeared also with the new PSU. I need to find another solution :(. Where would you start if you were in my shoes?
Next likely culprit is a corrupted image, you can either just flash a new one and see how that goes, or flash a new one to a new microSD card of known quality such as SanDisk, Kingston, Transcend in sealed retail packaging (not a counterfeit).

Sometimes a microSD card can go bad, using a new one that is of known brand/quality can often solve all problems.

The MPD error happens when accessing internet radio, your home music server or network share, both?

The only real trouble I've ever had with Moode involved restoring a new Moode 8 image from a backup taken with 7.6.1, that did not go well on 2 tries, so I ditched it and started over entirely. The only real work involved there was re-entering all of my custom internet radio stations, not the end of the world but took a little time.

Once that was all done and running well using the 32-bit version, I backed that up and used it to create a 64-bit version. That Restore went just fine, and now I've got both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on separate microSD cards with no issues.

I don't really remember too many other problems I've ever had with Moode going all the way back to v2.7 many years ago.

Hello,

I’m using Moode 8.1.

i have manually added a radio station via the library>radio>”+” symbol

The station plays fine, but Moode is not displaying the artist or song info.
(This is very important in this case because it is all rare ‘60s garage rock.)

What more do I need to do?

Browser-based radio players display this info, so I know the station makes it available.

I have a .pls file that I copied from their webpage. Could this be used somehow?

Hello,

I’m using Moode 8.1.

i have manually added a radio station via the library>radio>”+” symbol

The station plays fine, but Moode is not displaying the artist or song info.
(This is very important in this case because it is all rare ‘60s garage rock.)

What more do I need to do?

Browser-based radio players display this info, so I know the station makes it available.

I have a .pls file that I copied from their webpage. Could this be used somehow?

You need to specify the playable URL when adding a radio station. Below is the help text.
"Enter the URL to the actual stream and not to a playlist of stream links."

Download the .pls (playlist) file to your pc and open it in a text editor. The playable URL will be in that file.

Note that some stations use an external database to display song info on their website and they do not actually inject the info into the stream. When playing these stations in moOde no song info will be available.

"Enter the URL to the actual stream and not to a playlist of stream links.”

How does one access the actual stream?
I added the station via Browse > Radio and then hit the “+” button, which brought up a window to enter all the data for a new station.

Is there a better way to add a station?

I did search around on the Moode forum, but didn’t see a better answer, there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
John

Okay. It was my mistake. The station (Beyond the Beat Generation) has been around almost 20 years. Recently, they updated their website which had gone dark for a while.

Now, I notice, even on browser-based radio players, there is no song info anymore. Bummer.
Even on their new website, the "What's playing right now" section has not been updated in quite sometime.

So, there you have it.

Thanks again for your replies!!