Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Appreciate the response. I am determined to get through this. As you confirmed the net.ifnames is at the beginning of the first line with a space in my build.

I am unable to make a wifi connection but I pressed on with ethernet and was able to move all the way to STEP 13(12). Have not been able to go forward.

Must be something wrong with my procedure for making the ssh file and wpa_supplicant. conf files is correct. With SD card in the card reader on my desktop is a drive called boot. I then opened Textedit to make the new file "ssh". The file is empty so I use TextEdit commands file, save on the sd card called "boot". I then confirm there is a file called "ssh". Here is a screen shot.

Appreciate your support.

Hi,

What do you mean by "...Have not been able to go forward.". Provide some context and details.

-Tim

ran thru koda59's script.
worked fine, great!. no interactions required. all are automated with autorun, except for the burning SD, i know it obviously needs interaction.
(i first thought /tmp can be a working directory but not, anyways)
i think Tim's spending lots times on enhancements to the build, i am looking forward to the version 4.

btw, i recall some DACs are only available if advanced kernel is enabled.
has it been solved ?

Hi,

Thats great, and thanks for confirming that @koda59's wonderful automated build script works. I haven't had the time to try it yet.

Next up on my TODO list after Beta 9 ships is (1) Adapt automation script to beta 9, and (2) integrate NewUI :)

-Tim

I am playing with the Build-Recipe 1.6

Time now: Tue 14 Nov 15:23:18 UTC 2017

When I do:

!! Attention: the \/\/ in the URL are there to work around an issue that the blog software resolves the URL that is entered.

wget http:\/\/moodeaudio.org/downloads/beta/r40b8/rel-stretch.zip

I get:

--2017-11-14 15:20:15-- http:\/\/moodeaudio.org/downloads/beta/r40b8/rel-stretch.zip
Resolving moodeaudio.org (moodeaudio.org)... 23.235.199.139
Connecting to moodeaudio.org (moodeaudio.org)|23.235.199.139|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-11-14 15:20:15 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Same in the browser.

Are you updating at the moment Tim?

Yes. I've invalidated the Amazon CDN cache so all the links should be working. Start w/ Beta 9 :)

If any links are broken just report them and I'll fix.

-Tim

Hi,

Thats great, and thanks for confirming that @koda59's wonderful automated build script works. I haven't had the time to try it yet.

Next up on my TODO list after Beta 9 ships is (1) Adapt automation script to beta 9, and (2) integrate NewUI :)

-Tim

Tim if others can confirm that.
Maybe you can host the .sh and the .properties files.

Is this case, it could be a bit easier :

Log to pi
Check unzip is here (for example, it is not in VolumIO), if not apt-get ;)
Plug an USB key to have enough space
Format it, Mount it on a working rep (mounting point)
Cd in it
pwd (copy the path)
wget .sh file
wget .properties
Edit .properties file to set MYPATH (paste the path)
sudo ./install_moOde.sh 2>&1 | sudo tee prep_moOde_log.txt

And that's all (except the moment for plugging USB SD writer & answering confirmation for writing SD ...

When prep is finish ... umount key, rm mounting point & power off
Swap pi sd card ... power on & just waiting.

I am looking to reduce boot (even if we don't have to expect to save a lot time)

Regards

Hi,

moOde 4.0 BETA 9 is available :) This Beta contains some very important bug fixes and improvements.

- FIX: Sources screen hangs in certain scenarios
- FIX: Roaming between AP mode and WiFi SSID
- FIX: Cover art not displayed when same Title different Artist
- FIX: SSID Scan not returning anything in certain scenario
- FIX: Workaround for MPD not capturing BBC 320K bitrate
- UPD: Improved error reporting for failed NAS mount

There is also an in-place update for Beta 6/7/8 -> Beta 9.

It MUST be run from cmd line AND on an un-squashed /var/www !! The browser title will revert to "moOde Player" after the update. Use System config to change it, then APPLY MPD settings to get the new DoP param.

Also, BE SURE to backup /var/www and /var/local/www directories before applying the update in case you need to revert!

sudo /var/www/command/updater.sh r40b9

If u want to examine the update package and its installation script before installing it then run the cmds below.

wget http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/update-r40b9.zip
unzip update-r40b8.zip
cat ./update/install.sh

-Tim

um
any problem if the same host name 'moode' appear on the network?
during the long lasting beta build process, i didn't want to be interrupted by any network issue, so i turned off my live moode Pi.
for my education.
In fact, it doesn't interact with the build process but 2 machines with same hostname (and mDNS) on the network is not really a good point.

Does Etcher support the "copy only partition data" feature?

Hi, Tim.

From its README, "Etcher is a powerful OS image flasher built with web technologies to ensure flashing an SDCard or USB drive is a pleasant and safe experience. It protects you from accidentally writing to your hard-drives, ensures every byte of data was written correctly and much more."

It has three great advantages:
  • the OS image can be in a huge number of formats: img, iso, zip, bz2, dmg, dsk, etch, gz, hddimg, raw, rpi-sdimg, sdcard, xz
  • it protects against corrupting your hard drive
  • it verifies the flashed copy

Note that I copied all but the first 3 items in the first bullet from an on-screen popup. I'm trying to find in the code just what "sdcard" means. It does not appear to mean I can use Etcher in what I called earlier an "inverse" mode, working from an existing sdcard.

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

What do you mean by "...Have not been able to go forward.". Provide some context and details.

-Tim

My understanding of STEP 13(12) is I should be able to type into safari browser "http//MoOde" and that will allow me to verify certain info.

When I enter http//MoOde I get a 403 Forbidden message ( with ethernet or wifi). Have tried hhtp://Moode.local.

So I then used a new SD card and repeated just STEP 1 Option 2 $1-8. When I put the new sd card in the Pi the only way to access the Pi is via ethernet.
I should also say that when I first tried the recipe on Sunday i could not ssh into the Pi unless I used the ip address. Not sure if that is material to my issues but want to make full disclosure so as not to waste others time. I can confirm that the password has been changed to moodeaudio but still must us pi@10.0.0.20 to gain access.

Perhaps all you can do for me is to confirm that STEP 1 OPTION 2 must be successfully completed in order to continue to STEP 3 (2) that would be great. Spent a few tedious hours Sunday get to STEP 13 (12) thinking MoOde 4 is going to be worth it, which I am sure it is. To be clear I still believe that and would like to challenge myself. I am not saying or implying any criticism of the process or recipe. Those on this forum have been helpful and I thank them for the support. As Harry Callahan put it so eloquently " Man's got to know his limitations"

recipe trivia

Hi, Tim.

Since we've been mentioning "moode", I notice build_recipe_v1.7 doesn't set the boot-partition label, same as previous build recipes for r40beta. The label remains the debian default "boot".

Past image releases from you came with the boot partition labeled "MOODE".

Certainly this relabeling isn't necessary functionally but I've come to like it. (Among other things, it makes for easier identification of random uSD cards lying on the bench. Plug 'em in and look at the partition labels:rolleyes:)

Any reason it's not being done now? The Linux fatlabel (part of the dosfstools which IIRC come along with mkfs.vfat) can do the work.

Regards,
Kent

My understanding of STEP 13(12) is I should be able to type into safari browser "http//MoOde" and that will allow me to verify certain info.

When I enter http//MoOde I get a 403 Forbidden message ( with ethernet or wifi). Have tried hhtp://Moode.local.

So I then used a new SD card and repeated just STEP 1 Option 2 $1-8. When I put the new sd card in the Pi the only way to access the Pi is via ethernet.
I should also say that when I first tried the recipe on Sunday i could not ssh into the Pi unless I used the ip address. Not sure if that is material to my issues but want to make full disclosure so as not to waste others time. I can confirm that the password has been changed to moodeaudio but still must us pi@10.0.0.20 to gain access.

Perhaps all you can do for me is to confirm that STEP 1 OPTION 2 must be successfully completed in order to continue to STEP 3 (2) that would be great. Spent a few tedious hours Sunday get to STEP 13 (12) thinking MoOde 4 is going to be worth it, which I am sure it is. To be clear I still believe that and would like to challenge myself. I am not saying or implying any criticism of the process or recipe. Those on this forum have been helpful and I thank them for the support. As Harry Callahan put it so eloquently " Man's got to know his limitations"

Hang in there. You will get it right. The steps in option two of step 1 need to be completed in order for the following to be in place.

1. Have a clean ssh file in the boot directory so that ssh can be enabled on first boot.
2. create the wpa_supplicant.conf file in the boot directory which would be written to /etc/wpa_supplicant directory on first boot in order to connect to your wifi network. This step is optional as you can continue with the process using ethernet. It is crucial that you get the content of the wpa_supplicant.conf file exactly like in the build recipe with the exception that your SSID and passkey must be the correct ones for your wifi otherwise it will obviously not connect to the wifi.
3. edit the cmdline.txt file so that the auto resize process task is removed and to ensure that you can use standard interface names.

I had an instance where I created the wpa_supplicant.conf file and saved it to the boot directory but the RPi did not connect to the wifi at boot.

I then changed to the /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf directory and checked the content of the wpa_supplicant.conf file to find that not all the text had been saved for some reason. You can read and edit the content of the file using "sudo nano wpa_supplicant.conf" to make sure it is correct or to fix it if not. The moment I fixed the content and rebooted the RPI was connected to the wifi.

Have you been transacting on the RPI directly or did you ssh into it?

Typing in "http://moode" should take you to the web-based user interface of moode.

Last edited:
Hang in there. You will get it right. The steps in option two of step 1 need to be completed in order for the following to be in place.

1. Have a clean ssh file in the boot directory so that ssh can be enabled on first boot.
2. create the wpa_supplicant.conf file in the boot directory which would be written to /etc/wpa_supplicant directory on first boot in order to connect to your wifi network. This step is optional as you can continue with the process using ethernet. It is crucial that you get the content of the wpa_supplicant.conf file exactly like in the build recipe with the exception that your SSID and passkey must be the correct ones for your wifi otherwise it will obviously not connect to the wifi.
3. edit the cmdline.txt file so that the auto resize process task is removed and to ensure that you can use standard interface names.

I had an instance where I created the wpa_supplicant.conf file and saved it to the boot directory but the RPi did not connect to the wifi at boot.

I then changed to the /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf directory and checked the content of the wpa_supplicant.conf file to find that not all the text had been saved for some reason. You can read and edit the content of the file using "sudo nano wpa_supplicant.conf" to make sure it is correct or to fix it if not. The moment I fixed the content and rebooted the RPI was connected to the wifi.

Have you been transacting on the RPI directly or did you ssh into it?

Typing in Nymeria should take you to the web-based user interface of moode.

:cheers:
Simple and straight forward for sure. When the sd card is in my MAC I used TextEditor to create blank ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf. I just save the files to "boot". These two files show with all the other files on the sd card. I know recipe says put them in boot directory but don't know where that might be of sd card.

Using a MAC to ssh into the Pi. The Pi ethernet cable is plugged into an Orbi satellite router. Last Sunday I was able to copy and paste the recipe STEPS 3(2) THROUGH STEP 12(11). Based on what you confirmed probably that was all a waste if the initial STEP was not done properly.

I am willing to start over no problem unless the "rats nest" I created Sunday is salvageable.

MoOde 4 Beta 9 playing :)

Some timings getting Moode 4 Beta 9 up and running, Up and running within 2 hours with some dinner preparing. ( And an update cycle by Tim )

I skip timing for the first steps, I did goof around a bit on getting the img up and running ( NOT a problem in Tims description, but in my network configuration )

used Build recipe V 1.7

All steps done by copy pasting from 1 iTerm ( mac book ) terminal ( the one with the Build recipe open ) to the 2nd iTerm terminal ( the one on which I ssh'ed into the Pi )

Used Option 2 since I am a Mac (book) User

Note!!, the lines staring with # are comments where something was displayed that did catch my attention.

Time 16:17

continue with recipe STEP 2

This was at the time moode 4 beta 9 was released so the URL was not available.

Time 16:44

# Line 179
# sudo poweroff
# better sudo reboot?, now you need to do a power cycle on the Pi.

STEP 3

STEP 4
Time 17:02

# Line 237
# sudo autoreconf --install
# aclocal: warning: couldn't open directory 'm4': No such file or directory

# Line 250
# sudo systemctl disable bluealsa.service
# Failed to disable unit: No such file or directory

STEP 5
Time 17:08

STEP 6
Time 17:10

Time 17:15

Time 17:16

Time 17:18
Time for dinner :)

STEP 7
Time 17:34

STEP 8
Time 17:39

STEP 9
Time 17:44

# Line 492
# sudo amixer -D alsaequal > dev/null
# -bash: dev/null: No such file or directory
# must be:
# sudo amixer -D alsaequal > /dev/null
# without the '#' offcource

STEP 10
Time 17:49

STEP 11
Time 17:50

STEP 12
Time 17:52

Moode Interface displayed on Andriod Device
using IP connection, not a DNS name

connected to my MacBook share, updated library
Playing Music http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Some timings getting Moode 4 Beta 9 up and running, Up and running within 2 hours with some dinner preparing. ( And an update cycle by Tim )

I skip timing for the first steps, I did goof around a bit on getting the img up and running ( NOT a problem in Tims description, but in my network configuration )

used Build recipe V 1.7

All steps done by copy pasting from 1 iTerm ( mac book ) terminal ( the one with the Build recipe open ) to the 2nd iTerm terminal ( the one on which I ssh'ed into the Pi )

Used Option 2 since I am a Mac (book) User

Note!!, the lines staring with # are comments where something was displayed that did catch my attention.

Time 16:17

continue with recipe STEP 2

This was at the time moode 4 beta 9 was released so the URL was not available.

Time 16:44

# Line 179
# sudo poweroff
# better sudo reboot?, now you need to do a power cycle on the Pi.

STEP 3

STEP 4
Time 17:02

# Line 237
# sudo autoreconf --install
# aclocal: warning: couldn't open directory 'm4': No such file or directory

# Line 250
# sudo systemctl disable bluealsa.service
# Failed to disable unit: No such file or directory

STEP 5
Time 17:08

STEP 6
Time 17:10

Time 17:15

Time 17:16

Time 17:18
Time for dinner :)

STEP 7
Time 17:34

STEP 8
Time 17:39

STEP 9
Time 17:44

# Line 492
# sudo amixer -D alsaequal > dev/null
# -bash: dev/null: No such file or directory
# must be:
# sudo amixer -D alsaequal > /dev/null
# without the '#' offcource

STEP 10
Time 17:49

STEP 11
Time 17:50

STEP 12
Time 17:52

Moode Interface displayed on Andriod Device
using IP connection, not a DNS name

connected to my MacBook share, updated library
Playing Music http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks!

I'll make corrections and re-upload asap.

-Tim