Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Moode crash??

During playback (streaming from MacBook Pro to Raspberry Pi using Airplay) connection was broken when skipping to the next track (using Audirvana).

Couldn't connect to Moode using browser (not using IP number nor moode.local address) neither using ssh... So my conclusion was Moode software crashed on my RPI. Version 3.8.4

Hi Tim. I followed every step of the recipe to the end of step 9 witout any apparent errors.After rebooting the system runs through the whole boot-up sequence right to where the logon credentials are required and then the screen goes blank very quickly. Before you have time to logon. From there it is totally unresponsive. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Hi,

moOde is headless. Unplug locally attached display and keyboard, reboot, then from another computer on you network:

Nymeria, moode.local or IP_ADDRESS_OF_PI, whichever works on your network.

If u want terminal access then:

ssh pi@moode (pwd=moodeaudio)

-Tim

Arrggh… I never updated past 3.1 not because I didn't want to pay Tim, but because every from-the-ground-up update meant an hour or two messing with the settings for my NAS. Decided I'd upgrade to 3.8 today, went to the Web site and … :(

I'm a moderately advanced Linux user, but the recipe looks so fraught full of errors, I can't imagine I'll be upgrading until a pre-built distro is out.

Hi Tim,

I spent last night building the beta 6. I can use it like previous versions.

However, for one of the new features, bluetooth is not working properly. Sometimes I cannot connect to it from other device. Once I connected to it and start playing audio with it, I hear no sound from moode. Could you give me tip on what might have gone wrong with my moode build?

My Pi is model 3B.

Thank you

I'm a moderately advanced Linux user, but the recipe looks so fraught full of errors, I can't imagine I'll be upgrading until a pre-built distro is out.

What errors are you talking about in the recipe? I consider myself a moderate linux user at best and the recipe looks simple. I haven't tried it yet though, but I will in the near future and I can't see anything confusing in the recipe, I was actually thinking the opposite.

Hi Tim,

I spent last night building the beta 6. I can use it like previous versions.

However, for one of the new features, bluetooth is not working properly. Sometimes I cannot connect to it from other device. Once I connected to it and start playing audio with it, I hear no sound from moode. Could you give me tip on what might have gone wrong with my moode build?

My Pi is model 3B.

Thank you

Hi,

Provide a few more details and I'll help troubleshoot.

1) Screen shot or text from he "LIST paired" screen
2) Current moOde volume knob setting
3) Current ALSA volume setting from Audio config screen. If you DAC does not have a hardware volume controller this will be blank.
4) Type of Audio device.

I assume MPD playback is OK.

-Tim

I left the word "potential" out. From the feed back on this forum, it certainly doesn't seem easy. People are talking about 4 hour installs, etc.
What errors are you talking about in the recipe? I consider myself a moderate linux user at best and the recipe looks simple. I haven't tried it yet though, but I will in the near future and I can't see anything confusing in the recipe, I was actually thinking the opposite.

Hi,

Provide a few more details and I'll help troubleshoot.

1) Screen shot or text from he "LIST paired" screen
2) Current moOde volume knob setting
3) Current ALSA volume setting from Audio config screen. If you DAC does not have a hardware volume controller this will be blank.
4) Type of Audio device.

I assume MPD playback is OK.

-Tim

Code:
#### BT INIT:

*** Initializing Bluetooth controller
Waiting to connect to bluetoothd...
[bluetooth]# [NEW] Controller B8:27:EB:E6:25:9E Moode Bluetooth [default]
[bluetooth]# [NEW] Device 28:B2:BD:2F:11:91 chang-ThinkPad-T440p
[bluetooth]# Agent registered
[bluetooth]# power on
[bluetooth]# discoverable on
[bluetooth]# pairable on
[bluetooth]# agent on
Agent is already registered
[bluetooth]# default-agent
[bluetooth]# quit
[bluetooth]# Agent unregistered
[bluetooth]# [DEL] Controller B8:27:EB:E6:25:9E Moode Bluetooth [default]
[bluetooth]# Waiting to connect to bluetoothd...
*** Controller initialized

#### BT PAIRED:

*** Paired devices
*** 30:96:FB:C8:FC:C2 Galaxy S8
*** 28:B2:BD:2F:11:91 chang-ThinkPad-T440p

#### VOLUME CONFIG:

For testing ,I set Moode and Alsa volume to 100 if I enable volume control in MPD.

#### CONN DEV:

THINKPAD 440P
GALAXY S8

#### PLAYBACK DEV:

I use on board audio device for testing(using on-board audio jack).

I tried USB audio device too, including teac p90sd and mojo.

They all work expect when using bluetooth.

#### DETAIL DESC:

1. How I connect my device to moode:
    I can only connect my device to moode in following procedure:

1. First in Moode, Open moode configure -> audio -> configure bluetooth -> scan, wait until finish.
    2. on device side, I can scan and connect moode bluetooth from my PC or cell phone.

Once connected, any playing session will be interrupted.

2. Symptoms when BT is connected
    1. I can play audio via phone or computer, but no sound is coming out from moode.

2. If I continue playing moode local music, I can hear the music again, 
    but the volume nob (if volume control enabled) will have 1 sec delay in response.

Been trying this on a pi zero
Was going OK until I finished Step 9 and did a reboot, now the pi appears to have disappeared off the network??? :(
PS anybody else messing with a PI zero you can burn an image then copy an empty ssh file and a wpa_supplicant.conf with the ssid and password into the boot partition.....that bit worked well lol :deerman:

Way hay! I accidentally discovered on my tablet there was a network called Moode so the pi zero was actually just sitting waiting to be configured :rolleyes:
Now listening to Radio 6, thanks Tim!

Hi @boxerlc,

I don't see anything suspicious, and successful Pairings are good indication that the Bluetooth stack is functioning properly. Lets take a look at a few things.

1.) What is ALSA volume from System config?

2) Run the cmd below and verify that bluealsa-aplay is running. There should be a separate instance of the task for each connected client. If you have multiple connected clients then try turning Speaker sharing ON.

pgrep bluealsa-aplay

3) The config file below should have one of 3 values

cat /etc/bluealsaaplay.conf

a) AUDIODEV=btaplay_dmix (BT Speaker sharing ON)

These values should match /etc/mpd.conf Audio output blocks

b) AUDIODEV=hw:0,0 (I2S or On-board audio device)
c) AUDIODEV=hw:1,0 (USB audio device)

4) The pcm block{} in the config file below should match the AUDIODEV setting above.

cat /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/20-bluealsa-dmix.conf

pcm {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

Finally, when you are playing a BT stream, Open Audio info and see if there is an actual Output stream listed. This is what ALSA is actually sending to the audio device.

-Tim

Can someone please help me with creating Moode V4 beta 6?

I am stuck on Step 2. I am using Linux Mint Mint 18.2 on a x86 laptop.

When I run the command "sudo fdisk -l -o Device,Start,Type | grep 0p", the command completes successfully, as I am returned to the command prompt, but nothing is printed to the screen, i.e. no result.

I have checked that the USB Flash Drive containing the file "2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img" is mounted, with the command "lsblk".

So I can't go any further. Help would be appreciated from anyone with more Linux experience.

Regards, Rob

Can someone please help me with creating Moode V4 beta 6?

I am stuck on Step 2. I am using Linux Mint Mint 18.2 on a x86 laptop.

When I run the command "sudo fdisk -l -o Device,Start,Type | grep 0p", the command completes successfully, as I am returned to the command prompt, but nothing is printed to the screen, i.e. no result.

I have checked that the USB Flash Drive containing the file "2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img" is mounted, with the command "lsblk".

So I can't go any further. Help would be appreciated from anyone with more Linux experience.

Regards, Rob

Hi Rob,

What is output from

ls /mnt/tmp1

-Tim

Hi @sonatina,

Linux isn't Linux as they say. The recipe was derived using Raspbian Stretch.

You could try this alternative to mount the partitions:

sudo losetup -f (this finds the first available loop device)
/dev/loop0

# loopback mount the linux image taking advantage of the -P (=partitioned device) option
sudo losetup -P /dev/loop0 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img

Then

ls /dev/loop0p1 and /dev/loop0p2

Something like that.

-Tim

Hi @sonatina,

Linux isn't Linux as they say. The recipe was derived using Raspbian Stretch.

You could try this alternative to mount the partitions:

sudo losetup -f (this finds the first available loop device)
/dev/loop0

# loopback mount the linux image taking advantage of the -P (=partitioned device) option
sudo losetup -P /dev/loop0 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img

Then

ls /dev/loop0p1 and /dev/loop0p2

Something like that.

-Tim

Thanks Tim,

I have now got a result from the command "sudo fdisk -l -o Device,Start,Type | grep 0p" with offsets for the 2 partitions.

I will now work my way through the steps - thanks again.

Rob

Hi @boxerlc,

I don't see anything suspicious, and successful Pairings are good indication that the Bluetooth stack is functioning properly. Lets take a look at a few things.

1.) What is ALSA volume from System config?

2) Run the cmd below and verify that bluealsa-aplay is running. There should be a separate instance of the task for each connected client. If you have multiple connected clients then try turning Speaker sharing ON.

pgrep bluealsa-aplay

3) The config file below should have one of 3 values

cat /etc/bluealsaaplay.conf

a) AUDIODEV=btaplay_dmix (BT Speaker sharing ON)

These values should match /etc/mpd.conf Audio output blocks

b) AUDIODEV=hw:0,0 (I2S or On-board audio device)
c) AUDIODEV=hw:1,0 (USB audio device)

4) The pcm block{} in the config file below should match the AUDIODEV setting above.

cat /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/20-bluealsa-dmix.conf

pcm {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

Finally, when you are playing a BT stream, Open Audio info and see if there is an actual Output stream listed. This is what ALSA is actually sending to the audio device.

-Tim

Tim,

Thanks you very much for your reply.

I checked all the conf file, they look normal, but the audio info is not, I don't see the output stream and the rate is 0. However, my phone is playing music using BT.