Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi All,

I have just setup my Pi with the IQ_audio Pi-DigiAmp+ and running 3.8. I am a new user and have the following questions, observations:

1. connecting to SMB share (OpenMediaVault). I can see the file structure but no mp3 files - well I get one folder, then have to update to see rest but then folders appear empty... any ideas? The sync arrows finish.

2. when running the Moode Audio test sound / file my left and right are opposite - I checked the IQ_audio board which is connected correctly so not sure whats causing this. I am using left and right as I look at the front of the speakers - is this a bug?

3. rotary encoder not working - quite glitchy and whichever way I turn it sound goes up but not in equal steps. Accept this is probable IQ_audio issue and have contacted them for help.

Its the SMB issue I could really do with getting sorted.

So far have been really impressed with Moode after first play tonight.

Thanks,

James

Hi @300mhz,

I have "aiff tag issue" on my TODO list but no time frame.

If u want to accelerate the investigation then you could open an issue on MPD Github
https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues

with a download link to a few sample files that are exhibiting the issue. Mention to Max that the MPD build in moOde is vanilla 0.20.9 compiled with the following config.

sudo ./configure --enable-database --enable-libmpdclient --enable-alsa \
--enable-curl --enable-dsd --enable-ffmpeg --enable-flac \
--enable-id3 --enable-soundcloud --enable-lame-encoder --enable-mad \
--enable-mpg123 --enable-pipe-output --enable-recorder-output --enable-shout \
--enable-vorbis --enable-wave-encoder --enable-wavpack --enable-httpd-output \
--enable-soxr --with-zeroconf=avahi \
--disable-bzip2 --disable-zzip --disable-fluidsynth --disable-gme \
--disable-wildmidi --disable-sqlite --disable-jack --disable-ao --disable-oss \
--disable-ipv6 --disable-pulse --disable-nfs --disable-smbclient \
--disable-upnp --disable-expat --disable-lsr \
--disable-sndfile --disable-audiofile --disable-sidplay

-Tim

Hi All,

I have just setup my Pi with the IQ_audio Pi-DigiAmp+ and running 3.8. I am a new user and have the following questions, observations:

1. connecting to SMB share (OpenMediaVault). I can see the file structure but no mp3 files - well I get one folder, then have to update to see rest but then folders appear empty... any ideas? The sync arrows finish.

2. when running the Moode Audio test sound / file my left and right are opposite - I checked the IQ_audio board which is connected correctly so not sure whats causing this. I am using left and right as I look at the front of the speakers - is this a bug?

3. rotary encoder not working - quite glitchy and whichever way I turn it sound goes up but not in equal steps. Accept this is probable IQ_audio issue and have contacted them for help.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

#1 - Look at MPD log to see what might be going on with your NAS.
cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

#2 - My DigiAmp+ board is same. Maybe incorrect channel printing on these boards?

#3 - I haven't used my DigiAmp+ in a while but I'll hook up some speaks and see if I can repro. The rotary encoder driver used in moOde is a custom dev from Moode Audio and not developed by IQaudIO so not their issue.

-Tim

First Kent, thanks very much for your helpful discussion, I got it all working.

key was to modify smb.conf to the mounted USB stick. (in my case to /mnt/D3A9-1A6C). Next for the Moode NAS configuration to remote directory of just "dietpi" (not /mnt/D3...). Now working even after rebooting of the Odroid C2 with dietpi running. Thanks again.

Good to hear.

And thanks to you, DietPi is now on my radar screen. Ya never know when yet another skinny Linux distro may come in handy in a project. This one's interesting to me because it's available for a number of ARM-based SBCs (notably not any BeagleBoard model, sigh) and both real and virtual x86 machines. I imported their virtual machine file into Oracle VirtualBox this morning. Configuration proceeds a lot easier the second time around :rolleyes:

Regards,
Kent

Hi All,

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

#2 - My DigiAmp+ board is same. Maybe incorrect channel printing on these boards?

#3 - I haven't used my DigiAmp+ in a while but I'll hook up some speaks and see if I can repro. The rotary encoder driver used in moOde is a custom dev from Moode Audio and not developed by IQaudIO so not their issue.

-Tim

Hi James,

I hooked up some speaks to my IQaudIO DigiAmp+ and turned on moOde Rotary Encoder and no issues--smooth volume changes and updating of moOde UI. The hardware is a Pi-2B and an ALPS 3-pin rotary encoder P/N: 688-EC12E2430804.

-Tim

Hi Kent
Tanks for the response. Very good and helpfull explanation. I'm new in Lnux and just learning some new Linux commands, and how to use the sqlite3 to update database, but these are my first steps.
I am very grateful for the guidance and I''l continue to teach on mooode 3.1 for now.
Yes, I use SELECT * FROM cfg_rado to view what is in the table, before making any changes to it. All the clarifications will be very useful to me for the next experiments.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Genadi

If you are more comfortable using windows, you could use a database utility to connect to SQLite.

DB Browser for SQLite

Hi All,

Thanks,

James

I have an IQ Digi-Amp+ sitting in front of me.

Rotary encoder is working fine. Channels are mislabelled. SMB shares work fine from my FreeNAS box.

Have you set hardware volume control in MPD settings?

Just a quick comment regarding 3.8 :

When I first installed it I had a few issues: If I changed the volume limit to 100 (disabled) I could only change volume to over 20 once, subsequent changes would tell me I had exceeded the limit and when I checked, it had reset to 20; the gui was glitchy, often not showing all the content until a refresh was executed; connecting to one particular (of three wifi Ssids) wouldn't connect - the other two were fine, all three have no security; airplay was problematic - often it wouldn't show up as an available destination, so,etimes while playing it would stop and you couldn't stream to it until after the 120 sec timeout or until I reset AirPlay; I couldn't get scrobbling to work at all.

All of the above went away when I changed to a different SD card, with no other configuration differences.

3.8 works great, in my implementation. If you have problems, the first and easiest thing you can do to aid problem resolution is to reflash a different SD card. And don't even think of using a non class-10 card, you will have problems.

I am having the same problem with the Volume Warning Limit which I set at 100%, update, return to that screen and it says 100 Disabled but when you turn the volume up or down it is set back to 20%

I shall try with another MicroSD card.

Also, someone who is not used to the interface may not realise the word MoOde in the top right corner is a button for a menu.

When I first installed it I had a few issues: If I changed the volume limit to 100 (disabled) I could only change volume to over 20 once, subsequent changes would tell me I had exceeded the limit and when I checked, it had reset to 20; the gui was glitchy, often not showing all the content until a refresh was executed; connecting to one particular (of three wifi Ssids) wouldn't connect - the other two were fine, all three have no security; airplay was problematic - often it wouldn't show up as an available destination, so,etimes while playing it would stop and you couldn't stream to it until after the 120 sec timeout or until I reset AirPlay; I couldn't get scrobbling to work at all.

All of the above went away when I changed to a different SD card, with no other configuration differences.

3.8 works great, in my implementation. If you have problems, the first and easiest thing you can do to aid problem resolution is to reflash a different SD card. And don't even think of using a non class-10 card, you will have problems.

This may be a minor bug, I have found that if you set the i2S Audio device back to none, reboot, set the audio volume limit to 100% / disabled and then go back and setup the i2S it stays at 100%

The volume control then works as normal with a full 0 to 100% range.

I am having the same problem with the Volume Warning Limit which I set at 100%, update, return to that screen and it says 100 Disabled but when you turn the volume up or down it is set back to 20%

I shall try with another MicroSD card.

Also, someone who is not used to the interface may not realise the word MoOde in the top right corner is a button for a menu.

This may be a minor bug, I have found that if you set the i2S Audio device back to none, reboot, set the audio volume limit to 100% / disabled and then go back and setup the i2S it stays at 100%

The volume control then works as normal with a full 0 to 100% range.

But... the volume limit and control works fine with a fresh build on a good SD card.

What you are describing is abnormal.

Amen to this!

There's a lot of dodgy cards out there, including very convincing looking fakes. If you're really curious about your cards, you might want to try the benchmark program CrystalDiskMark

I have had consistently good luck with recent SanDisk and Samsung models.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
@Tim

When you say 'MPD 0.20.9 compiled with libav-only codecs' what are the implications of this build?

What codecs are enabled, does this mean the Flac codec has changed.

Tried to work out what that meant but the MPD docs seem a black art to me.

Hi,

The line is a bit misleading. It really means that MPD was compiled without the buggy "sndfile" and "audiofile" codec libraries. This is often referred to as an ffmpeg-only or libav-only MPD build. Libav is a fork of ffmpeg and is used in Debian up through Jessie. Debian announced it will switch back to ffmpeg in Stretch. The following link has more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libav

Since libav provides all the same codecs contained in libsndfile and libaudiofile except for svx sf w64 pvf xi htk sd2, its ok to compile MPD for moOde with just libav. If you run MPD -V the output will not contain [sndfile] and [audiofile] as in previous moOde MPD builds.

Decoders plugins:
[mad] mp3 mp2
[mpg123] mp3
[vorbis] ogg oga
[oggflac] ogg oga
[flac] flac

======= not present in moOde 3.8 ========
[sndfile] wav aiff aif au snd paf iff svx sf voc w64 pvf xi htk caf sd2
[audiofile] wav au aiff aif
=========================================

[dsdiff] dff
[dsf] dsf
[faad] aac
[wavpack] wv
[ffmpeg] 16sv 3g2 3gp 4xm 8svx aa3 aac ac3 adx afc aif aifc aiff al alaw amr anim apc ape asf atrac au aud avi avm2 avs bap bfi c93 cak cin cmv cpk daud dct divx dts dv dvd dxa eac3 film flac flc fli fll flx flv g726 gsm gxf iss m1v m2v m2t m2ts m4a m4b m4v mad mj2 mjpeg mjpg mka mkv mlp mm mmf mov mp+ mp1 mp2 mp3 mp4 mpc mpeg mpg mpga mpp mpu mve mvi mxf nc nsv nut nuv oga ogm ogv ogx oma ogg omg opus psp pva qcp qt r3d ra ram rl2 rm rmvb roq rpl rvc shn smk snd sol son spx str swf tak tgi tgq tgv thp ts tsp tta xa xvid uv uv2 vb vid vob voc vp6 vmd wav webm wma wmv wsaud wsvga wv wve
[pcm]

Also note that there are dedicated codecs in MPD for certain audio formats. MPD uses these codecs for the listed formats. All other audio formats are handled by codecs in libav [ffmpeg]. To view the full list of codecs contained in libav run the cmd: avconv -formats

[mad] mp3 mp2
[mpg123] mp3
[vorbis] ogg oga
[oggflac] ogg oga
[flac] flac
[dsdiff] dff
[dsf] dsf
[faad] aac
[wavpack] wv

-Tim

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks,

James

Hi, James.

Were you able to follow Tim's suggestion to read the mpd.log file?

I have an instance of OpenMediaVault running as a virtual machine for testing purposes (I've been looking at alternatives for media servers). Here's an example clipped from the mpd.log file of my MoOde Player r3.8 reading a folder shared by OpenMediaVault.

Code:
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode6-TootsMutantOfTheZootMutants.mp3
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode3-TheTechnoWitches.mp3
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode1-HeresAKissForYou.mp3
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode4-TeruTangoesWithTheMoles.mp3
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode5-TheTookahPuffsUpAndExplodes.mp3
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode7-HowToFoolAroundWithAFrankie.mp3
Aug 07 09:54 : update: added NAS/SambaMusic/Ruby/Ruby-Episode2-MoliereChiefOfTheMolePeople.mp3

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kent

But... the volume limit and control works fine with a fresh build on a good SD card.

What you are describing is abnormal.

Indeed, tried it twice with two different MicroSD cards with the same problem.

On my third attempt the very first setting I changed was the volume to 100% and then set location, name, expand card, select DAC, enter NAS NFS details.

All now working well but I think the audio level seems a little lower.

I can't swap back to compare as I have also overwritten than MicroSD card.

Hi James,

cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

-Tim

Hi All,

Thank you all for your help - all solved:

#1 running this showed no user permissions on the files. It was related to files copied from Linux box to NAS and the permissions were not correct / not set even on the Linux box. I did a 'chmod -Rv 775' on my Linux box to correct and then 'rsync -prv --exclude="*.mp3" /share/music /NAS/music/FLAC' to copy to NAS.

#2 Gordon at IQ Audio confirmed this issue and is currently talking to his supplier - fixed by swapping cables. Thanks to all who also confirmed that I was not going mad...

#3 ...well I was probably going mad as had pin configuration 180 degrees out as thought I was using a reference on the board - Gordon sent me a photo and I checked the install guide to find the correct position for pin 1. Its all working well.

Thats what I get for rushing with excitement to get everything setup in one night - definitely needed more coffee.

Next steps are an on/off switch, rotary encoder switch to pause and then 3D print a case.

Cheers and thanks again,

James