Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

@Tweekster

http://http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/mpd-lock-sample-rate-bit-depth-for-hifiberry-digi-t3972.html.

Note his closing comment that he hears the same pops with Volumio and MoOde Player. The common factor in these three different systems is the interplay between mpd and the DAC driver.

The solution he was pursuing within the context of Rune was, as has already been proposed, setting a fixed bit depth/sampling rate.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent!

This makes the most sense in my mind, I'll give it a shot. Interesting that it effects the DIGI+ and not the DAC+.

My wild guess is the driver handles all the resolution switching and it defaults to 16/44.1, so switching between those formats is fairly seamless. When it's asked to shift to 24/96 it's an abrupt shift, almost like a power spike. Between 24/96 tracks, it drops to default before sensing the next track, causing another spike.

Of course, I could be all wet.......;)

Hi Tim,

I'll just emailed the link.

I've connected the DAC+ to a different receiver throught the CD jacks, and directly to my trusty Adcom GFA-545 power amp and speakers, same issue.

It pops on both clicking on the playlist or using the arrows. I left it running while I just typed this, and it ran through the playlist, when it changed from a 16/44.1 to 24/96 automatically it popped and me and the cat just jumped a foot.......LOL

Hi,

I'm able to repro the "loud pop" issue on release 3.7 w/DAC+Pro and Boss. I believe part of the root cause is the following change made in PCM512x chip as referenced in the data sheet Revision History below. The PCM5122 "bump" issue has been around a long time but the "loud pop" seems more recent and probably only happens on the master mode dual-clock boards e.g., DAC+Pro, Boss.

"Deleted Internal Pop-Free Control For Sample-Rate Changes Or Clock Halts"

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slas763b/slas763b.pdf
https://e2e.ti.com/support/data_converters/audio_converters/f/64/t/472960

The other part of root cause is probably DAC driver and possibly other software component thats not compensating for the behavior of the chip.

Setting MPD to wildcard resample at 24 bit / * kHz seemed to work around the problem. I didn't experience any loud pops with this setting.

I also tested the DAC+ Pro on a completely new build I'm making for Moode 4.0 and there were no issues whatsoever at native sample rates. This suggests that changes in driver and/or other software components have mitigated the problem.

-Tim

Hi,

I'm able to repro the "loud pop" issue on release 3.7 w/DAC+Pro and Boss. I believe part of the root cause is the following change made in PCM512x chip as referenced in the data sheet Revision History below. The PCM5122 "bump" issue has been around a long time but the "loud pop" seems more recent and probably only happens on the master mode dual-clock boards e.g., DAC+Pro, Boss.

"Deleted Internal Pop-Free Control For Sample-Rate Changes Or Clock Halts"

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slas763b/slas763b.pdf
https://e2e.ti.com/support/data_converters/audio_converters/f/64/t/472960

The other part of root cause is probably DAC driver and possibly other software component thats not compensating for the behavior of the chip.

Setting MPD to wildcard resample at 24 bit / * kHz seemed to work around the problem. I didn't experience any loud pops with this setting.

I also tested the DAC+ Pro on a completely new build I'm making for Moode 4.0 and there were no issues whatsoever at native sample rates. This suggests that changes in driver and/or other software components have mitigated the problem.

-Tim

The pop wakes you up, doesn't it?

I found this a little humorous in the second link from 2015

"We are using the DAC for two reasons: First, the data sheet stated "Internal Pop-Free Control For Sample-Rate Changes Or Clock Halts". Well, so far in case of a clock halt I don't get it pop-free."

When you read this in the first link:

"Changes from Revision A (September 2012) to Revision B Page
• Deleted Internal Pop-Free Control For Sample-Rate Changes Or Clock Halts, .. With Popless Operation.......................... 1"

So....reading through the spec sheet they have put the burden of pop control on the hardware designer and driver programmer. I'm guessing Moode 4.0 is on a newer kernel than 4.4.50-v7+? With a newer HifiBerry driver? Possibly newer MPD?

Changing SoX resampling to 24 bit /* KHZ and reboot didn't get rid of the pop..........but changing to 24 bit/ 96 KHZ did! I clicked on random tracks, forward & Back, everything I could click, and no pop!

Thanks for all the help!

And I really hate for my first post in a thread to be about problems. I just wanted to say Moode is easy to setup, slick interface and menu structure, and looking forward to trying 4.0.

Thanks again!

Play all - from root of Browse

I have made a problem for myself and am seeking advise on a solution.

I have an external HD connected to my Pi via USB. I do not want Moode to scan the whole disk for music, just my music directory. I put a link into /media for my directory. This shows up fine in Moode and I can update the database and play music from it, but when I click on the Actions button I get "Update this folder". I want Play. I do get Play if I enter the music directory and select a directory within it, but this is just one artist, there are times I just want a random play of the full collection. If anyone can suggest a solution to allow a "play all" I would appreciate it. Please note that manualy making a large playlist file is too difficult as there are about 23000 songs.

Using Moode Release: 3.1 2016-12-05

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
And I really hate for my first post in a thread to be about problems. I just wanted to say Moode is easy to setup, slick interface and menu structure, and looking forward to trying 4.0.

Problems? The most compelling reason for this thread is the fabulous tech support Tim and his users provide regarding all manner of problems.

Great product, great sound, great support. That's a trifecta in my book :p

Regards,
Kent

I was experienced a small pop with my diy digi+ pro and dac+pro, set resample to fix value would solved my issue.
The pop or crack sound depend on the beginning of the song due to clock switch.

Clock switch 24.5760 Mhz <-> 22.5792 Mhz
24.5760 Mhz = 48, 96, 192, 384
22.5792 Mhz = 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8

Just curious about pcm5102 (in hardware mode) and digi+ (no external clock).

Small issuette..

After buggering up my install (with issues around nginx) I downloaded 3.7 and reloaded the image.

When I came to configure the sources I used the same source name I always have which is

XXXXXNAS

which is the name of my NAS box. Now everytime I try and save the source if complains about NAS/Mount etc cannot be in the source name. Not a show stopper but it did take a few mins to sink through the grey matter.