Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi @gabrielbecheanu,

Just ran some quick tests of 24/192 FLAC file playback over Wifi and no audio glitches.

Playback Pi-3B
- Edimax 7811Un 150 mbps adapter
- Standard kernel
- Default MPD buffer settings
- IQaudIO Pi-DAC PRO

File server Pi-3B
- Attached to Router via Ethernet cable
- Files served using stock Moode Samba configuration
- 24/192k files stored on attached USB stick

Below are ping stats captured on Playback Pi after 24/192K track finished playing.

372 packets transmitted, 372 received, 0% packet loss, time 371581ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.355/16.914/136.112/20.137 ms

Try running a ping test from Pi to your NAS during song playback and then examine the stats for anything unusual.

-Tim
Thanks
i will make a test soon

Just installed Moode 3.6, so that I can use an Allo Boss DAC. Checked for Updates, updated.

In Configure > Audio Devices > I2S Audio Device, I don't see an enty for Allo Boss DAC, so I selected Allo Piano HiFi DAC.

In Customize > Audio Device Description, there I see Allo Boss DAC, so I selected it.

Is that the way it's supposed to work?
--

You have to install one of the advanced kernels. Then the Boss will show up in the audio config list.

I did some tests with volume software and hardware control. One has to login with ssh on Pi and start the "top" programm and check the CPU load caused by mpd process. The tests where done using dsf and wav files, not flacs, to avoid additional flac-wav decompression load and without sox oversampling.

File Type------CPU Load SW control------CPU Load HW Control

DSD-----------~30%-----------------------~30%

24192---------~7%------------------------~4%

2496-----------~4%------------------------~2%

1644-----------~1,5%----------------------~0,7%

One can see, that with pcm files cpu load of mpd process is 50% smaller when using hardware volume control. Only when playing dsd files, the load is the same . Why ? Dac + pro is using TI 5121 dac chip and this chip is only accepting pcm data (max. 32/384), not dsd, so mpd has to change dsd on the fly into pcm format.
Lower cpu load with hardware volume control is probably the reason for better sound (lower latency?).

You can set the type of the volume control in moode player this way:

configure - audio - open mpd config - volume control

I did some tests with volume software and hardware control. One has to login with ssh on Pi and start the "top" programm and check the CPU load caused by mpd process. The tests where done using dsf and wav files, not flacs, to avoid additional flac-wav decompression load and without sox oversampling.

File Type------CPU Load SW control------CPU Load HW Control

DSD-----------~30%-----------------------~30%

24192---------~7%------------------------~4%

2496-----------~4%------------------------~2%

1644-----------~1,5%----------------------~0,7%

One can see, that with pcm files cpu load of mpd process is 50% smaller when using hardware volume control. Only when playing dsd files, the load is the same . Why ? Dac + pro is using TI 5121 dac chip and this chip is only accepting pcm data (max. 32/384), not dsd, so mpd has to change dsd on the fly into pcm format.
Lower cpu load with hardware volume control is probably the reason for better sound (lower latency?).

You can set the type of the volume control in moode player this way:

configure - audio - open mpd config - volume control

Hi,

Probably because MPD cannot perform Software volume on DSD bitstream format yet.

If you experience diffs in sound when switching between Software and Hardware volume control its probably due to the DSP algorithms used to perform volume attenuation rather than CPU load.

Most DAC chips with hardware volume controllers just have basic algorithms. Most don't even use dithering. Exception are the ESS chips and a few others, but since ESS prohibits Open Source drivers for their chips, Linux based players can't access the nice ESS Hyperstream volume controller.

-Tim

What's the difference (and have you suggestions for my script problems I posted?)

I am new to Linux and never used Rune. I move from Volumio to Moode so no extra knowledge need.
Rune is Arch Linux and I think the kernel limit at 24/192, something must different.

For PCM51xx family, upsampling the sound to 32/384 give a better result to my ear (bypass internal filter).
I love the sound from Moode 3.1 but need a new feature from Moode.
I keep learning a lot when Moode release a new version by exam the code.

To answer your question, there is a lot of code that I don't understand and I can't suggestions for your script.

I just read this post about a change to the analog audio on the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=136445

Great for testing before committing to a HAT or USB DAC.

@Zootalaws, thanks for the pointer!

This is definitely one of those best-kept secrets of the war. That forum thread was started over a year ago, but there's still no mention of this configuration parameter in the Raspberry Pi documentation or in the supposedly complete list on elinux.org. A quick search of the raspberry pi firmware repo on github didn't get me any hits either. On the other hand, in the current MoodeOS firmware (vcgencmd dates it to Mar 3, 2017), I see "audio_pwm_mode" among the strings in /boot/start.elf.

Have you tried this mode with MoOde Player yet? I'll have to free up an appropriate RPi (the RPi0W lying in front of me is useless for this since the Zeros have no analog filters/outout).

Regards,
Kent

unable to upgrade to v 3.7 OTA

I'm currently running v 3.6. When I click on the "check for software update" link it tells me that I'm running the current version. One thing I notice from the system info is that my SD card is at 97%. Is that a problem or does that indicate the percentage of the card available to Moode? IIRC it's a 32 GB card. There should be no media files or other data that's not part of Moode there.

I could install the downloadable image but then I'd have to go through the setup again. Hoping there's a fix.

Thanks to the help from you kind folks, I got the Boss DAC working this morning before the workday, using the Low Latency Advanced kernel. Verdict? The Boss DAC is a MAJOR upgrade from the Behringer UCA-202 sound card I was using before. Instantly noticeable, no comparison.

Through a Sony MDR-7506 and O2 amp, I listened to a 24/96 rip of "My Foolish Heart" from the Analogue Productions Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby" SACD (PCM converted from DSD). I left the Moode > Customization > MPD Audio Settings for bits/sample rate to the defaults. The track sounded fantastic. I was transported to the Village Vanguard, a room I love and know well. The sound had a good 'feeling' to it, which is often hard to get from digital sources.

- For this combo of RPi3 and Boss DAC, are there any combinations of MPD settings people have found to sound particularly good?

I'm still using the stock Canakit 5V SMPS. I'm curious to hear what a psu upgrade will do.

Can't wait to get home, get out some better headphones, and listen to the Moode/Boss Pi!
--

Hi TimCurtis
My brother use a DIY dac Buffalo with ESS9018 and a Rockna USB to I2S converter. The USB adaptor works well on Rune and Volumio but no in Moode.
It is a chance to make it work this device on Moode?
Thanks

Hi,

Try the USB (UAC2) work around in System config. This is the only setting in Moode that can affect the USB audio interface.

-Tim

I'm currently running v 3.6. When I click on the "check for software update" link it tells me that I'm running the current version. One thing I notice from the system info is that my SD card is at 97%. Is that a problem or does that indicate the percentage of the card available to Moode? IIRC it's a 32 GB card. There should be no media files or other data that's not part of Moode there.

I could install the downloadable image but then I'd have to go through the setup again. Hoping there's a fix.

Hi,

Fresh image starts at 77% full for root partition. Log files can can eat up space but takes a really long time. Periodically run Clear system logs in System config.

Could be stale Browser cache that causing Software update to report "up to date". The update will fail at 97% full root partition.

-Tim

Thanks to the help from you kind folks, I got the Boss DAC working this morning before the workday, using the Low Latency Advanced kernel. Verdict? The Boss DAC is a MAJOR upgrade from the Behringer UCA-202 sound card I was using before. Instantly noticeable, no comparison.

Through a Sony MDR-7506 and O2 amp, I listened to a 24/96 rip of "My Foolish Heart" from the Analogue Productions Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby" SACD (PCM converted from DSD). I left the Moode > Customization > MPD Audio Settings for bits/sample rate to the defaults. The track sounded fantastic. I was transported to the Village Vanguard, a room I love and know well. The sound had a good 'feeling' to it, which is often hard to get from digital sources.

- For this combo of RPi3 and Boss DAC, are there any combinations of MPD settings people have found to sound particularly good?

I'm still using the stock Canakit 5V SMPS. I'm curious to hear what a psu upgrade will do.

Can't wait to get home, get out some better headphones, and listen to the Moode/Boss Pi!
--

Hi,

Try setting SoX resampling to 32 bit 384 kHz. This rate when fed to PCM5122 chip on the Boss triggers a bypass of the chips internal oversampling filter. Some listeners prefer this configuration over feeding the chip a native sample rate which is oversampled internally.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I tried 'pinning it' to 32/384k and I find it sounds a little brighter and maybe more what they call 'airy.' To tell you the truth, I can't tell which I like better, native or 32/384k. I'll have to spend some time with it. There's plenty of room for some serious audiophilia nervosa with this combo. Great fun. (Sure does sound nice.)

I wonder, do people say that different storage media sound different? Maybe music from an SSD drive sounds better than the same files served up from a USB stick, etc? Or that music files sound better from local storage than over Ethernet? Or has everybody decided that's all silliness?

I wonder, do people say that different storage media sound different? Maybe music from an SSD drive sounds better than the same files served up from a USB stick, etc? Or that music files sound better from local storage than over Ethernet? Or has everybody decided that's all silliness?

Hi rongon.

I had been accessing my music files from a 128G micro USB flash drive. Then I decided to put together a Linux NAS.
I was pleasantly surprised to notice the SQ improved when using the NAS - at least in my setup it did.

Rob

Hi rongon.

I had been accessing my music files from a 128G micro USB flash drive. Then I decided to put together a Linux NAS.
I was pleasantly surprised to notice the SQ improved when using the NAS - at least in my setup it did.

Rob
Interesting Rob. Maybe you can do an experiment to compare the SQ of music file playback on the same micro SD card as the Moode software.