Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Tim,
I have been running MoOde v 2.7 and 3.1 on a rpi3B with Audiophonics ES9023 TCXO Dac Hat, using an Audiophonics script to enable the assembly to be switched on and off with a push button momentary switch.

Following this tutorial

7http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewt...386416aa3b08c7b797e51bc78cf0261&start=75#p702

On upgrading to v3.6 all goes well until parts 6,7 and 8.

I find that it is not possible to save the changes when writing the script in

Code:
 /var/www/command/restart.sh
(no write permission)

Is there a way to circumvent this situation? if not, then I am stuck on v3.1.

I think this write problem is also referenced here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-704.html#post5051790

Thanks for any help :cheers:

Ronnie.

Hi Ronnie,

Moode uses a compressed, read-only file system for /var/www to increase performance and stability of the system. You would need to unsquash / re-squash the file system in order to make modifications to the files. Its not something that I provide support or troubleshooting for but if you are experienced in Linux then its pretty straight forward. Also, Moode in-place updates overwrite the entire /var/www directory.

-Tim

Hi,

Why don't u just use the search feature on the Albums list? You can search by Album or artist name.

Not sure what you mean by "now playing window". If you tap the Playback tab it auto-scrolls the Playlist to the currently playing item. Tapping the o icon on the header pages between the knobs and cover art.

-Tim

I was talking about the playback tab. Thanks for the info, i didn't know it works like this.
Searching works great but i like browsing around.

Regarding the update, it is not for the user experience mods that i am waiting but for the driver updates so I can also use moode for DSD and other sample rates or formats except FLAC 16/44.1.
I have some genuine 24/192 recordings that sound absolutely delicious via moode (until the clicks and pops kick in after about 15 secs of playing). It actually blows away rune and volumio in terms of sound quality.
Keep up the good work!

Hi Ronnie,

Moode uses a compressed, read-only file system for /var/www to increase performance and stability of the system. You would need to unsquash / re-squash the file system in order to make modifications to the files. Its not something that I provide support or troubleshooting for but if you are experienced in Linux then its pretty straight forward. Also, Moode in-place updates overwrite the entire /var/www directory.

-Tim

Thanks Tim for your early am reply :eek:

but if you are experienced in Linux
well no :p that's why I was asking ;)

so are these instruction by ltf kosher?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-704.html#post505189

If so I'll give it a shot :rolleyes:

Ronnie

Ronnie,
I know it's been noted before, so apologies for reiterating, but unless there's a very real need to turn the Pi+DAC off, you'll find that the sound quality is better and remains consistent when all is left constantly powered. Generally permanently powered on is beneficial with lower power electronics particularly audio
Happy Listening
Ian

Ian,

I thank you (best Hughie Green voice "most sincerely") for your opinion.

However, I not only have the tee-shirt, as per Rab's vest, but also the book. :)

Given your location I won't mention Cobblers ;)

Ronnie

Thanks Tim for your early am reply :eek:

well no :p that's why I was asking ;)

so are these instruction by ltf kosher?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-704.html#post505189

If so I'll give it a shot :rolleyes:

Ronnie

Hi, Ronnie.

OK, so large portions of MoOde Player are contained in a squashfs file (/var/local/moode.sqsh). During the booting process, this file is mounted to /var/www (see the last line in /etc/fstab) as a read-only filesystem.

If you wish to make a change within this filesystem, you have at least three choices.

1) Take the approach of learntofly, and go through a series of steps which result in a read-write version of /var/www, in effect throwing away /var/local/moode.sqsh. Now you can make your modifications. Trying to keep up with Tim's updates will be complicated because they are mostly delivered as new moode.sqsh files (some deal with kernel updates). So you have to undo what you've done, ala learntofly, update, and, assuming the update brought down a new moode.sqsh, repeat the creation of a read-write filesystem, and make your mods.

2) Take the approach hinted by Tim, using unsquashfs to (surprise) unsquash moode.sqsh to a local directory, make your modifications, then use mksquashfs to create your custom moode.sqsh and use it to replace the original in /var/local. Updates can proceed in the normal way, but they'll delete your mods so each time you'll have to unsquashfs/mod/mksquashfs to implement them.

3) Implement a union filesystem which allows you to overlay read-write files onto a read-only filesystem. I've used this approach in other embedded projects (anybody remember the Chumby and its derivatives?) and it should work fine with MoOde Player too, but I haven't had any reason to try before. I'll have to test it before I elaborate. (If you're interested in union filesystems, Google is your friend.)

If one's modifications don't actually conflict with Tim's code, then the third approach should allow updating a customized MoOde Player without having to make manual adjustments. I can envision nightmarish scenarios, however, which would only add to Tim's support burden. The first and second approaches allow him to stay focused.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
I have been playing a bit with MoOde over the last several months and have noticed that whenever I expand the SD card the setting remains at "NO", whilst other modifications change to "YES".
Is this the default for the expansion mod?

ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

All the items under the Maintenance section except for Debug logging behave that way. They are basically tasks that get executed as opposed to settings. Not the most intuitive for sure.

-Tim

Wow. What a long thread. I've been through as much as I can and am trying to get my Elecrow 5" touchscreen working with MoOdeAudio. I have it working with Rune and Volumio, but I really prefer moOde and purchased it yesterday (thanks Tim).

I am familiar with configuring the touchscreen and have a curious issue that I would like to know if anyone else has encountered. I used the guide at:
Code:
[URL="https://rataks.com/blog/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-in-moode-with-chromium.html"]https://rataks.com/blog/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-in-moode-with-chromium.html[/URL]
and as expected as soon as I issued the last command to start the service:
Code:
sudo systemctl start start-gui.service
the screen lit up with the moOde interface and was working as expected.

The problem is, if I reboot, after seeing the load progress, I just get a black screen. Manually trying to start the service does nothing. I'm not sure what I'm missing such that when I install I get it running, but can't get a display after that.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Try editing /boot/config.txt
change the line hdmi_drive=2 to read hdmi_drive=1
save exit and reboot.
See if you now have a screen.

Thanks, I tried that and no dice. I should add, that I know the screen is active as I occasionally see the lightning bolt icon while the rest of the screen is blank. I just don't see the MoOde interface.

Switching to a dedicated power supply, I don't see the lightning (power warning) bolt, just a black screen.

Has anyone gotten this to work on an ASUS Tinker Board. This would be the first image I cannot get to work on this board.

Wrote image to SD card, plugged in. I get nothing out of the HDMI, the keyboard does not light up, and the ethernet does not light up.

The only thing that seems to light up is the mouse (it is a logitech g900 with a G that lights up).

Looks like this was a waste of $10

-Ray

Has anyone gotten this to work on an ASUS Tinker Board. This would be the first image I cannot get to work on this board.

Wrote image to SD card, plugged in. I get nothing out of the HDMI, the keyboard does not light up, and the ethernet does not light up.

The only thing that seems to light up is the mouse (it is a logitech g900 with a G that lights up).

Looks like this was a waste of $10

-Ray

I'm sorry, Ray, but MoOde Player is a Raspberry Pi player, through and through. Indeed, this thread you've posted to is entitled "Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi." Why would you expect it to work on an ASUS Tinker Board?

Regards,
Kent

Wow. What a long thread. I've been through as much as I can and am trying to get my Elecrow 5" touchscreen working with MoOdeAudio. I have it working with Rune and Volumio, but I really prefer moOde and purchased it yesterday (thanks Tim).

I am familiar with configuring the touchscreen and have a curious issue that I would like to know if anyone else has encountered. I used the guide at:
Code:
[URL="https://rataks.com/blog/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-in-moode-with-chromium.html"]https://rataks.com/blog/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-in-moode-with-chromium.html[/URL]
Code:

The problem is, if I reboot, after seeing the load progress, I just get a black screen. Manually trying to start the service does nothing. I'm not sure what I'm missing such that when I install I get it running, but can't get a display after that.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Hi, Steve.

I don't have an LCD screen and I'm running my RPis headless, but when I follow the rataks blog (inserting some missing "sudo"s) on a MoOde 3.6 system, I see appropriate Chromium browser tasks running ("ps aux" or "top"). If I reboot and ssh into MoOde again, I see appropriate Chromium browser tasks running again, so I believe the scripts are working (they're actually very simple). Both before and after reboot, the target URL is http://localhost/.

Is this so for you too?

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

To troubleshoot:

1) verify the .py script is executable (+x) and has shebang (#!/usr/bin/python) as first line. Done.

2) verify the LCD updater engine is functioning by blanking out the "path to python script", turn it OFF/ON then cat /home/pi/lcd.txt. This file is created by the engine when the script path is empty. It should be a copy of /var/local/www/currentsong.txt Tested and verified.

3) write a simple BASH script like below and test it

#!/bin/bash
cp /var/local/www/currentsong.txt /home/pi/lcd2.txt
Tested and verified.

-Tim

I then tried another test. I wrote a simple Python script to duplicate the function of the BASH script
(For some reason the code below only displays correctly for me in Preview Changes mode)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import shutil
shutil.copy2('/var/local/www/currentsong.txt', 'lcd3.txt')

I made sure the file was executable (chmod +x test.py)

I tested it from the command line. It worked fine.

I updated the path to the Python script, turned the LCD update engine OFF / ON. The script did not work. I tried many track changes.

Last edited:

Code:
[URL]https://rataks.com/blog/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-in-moode-with-chromium.html[/URL]
Code:

Any thoughts?

Steve

I got it working fine on the rpi touchscreen. I wrote some modified Ratak instructions here.

http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1777&sid=f71f4122d87ac2dbfbaf37f6ae98cc6f&start=75

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I then tried another test. I wrote a simple Python script to duplicate the function of the BASH script
(For some reason the code below only displays correctly for me in Preview Changes mode)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import shutil
shutil.copy2('/var/local/www/currentsong.txt', 'lcd3.txt')

I made sure the file was executable (chmod +x test.py)

I tested it from the command line. It worked fine.

I updated the path to the Python script, turned the LCD update engine OFF / ON. The script did not work. I tried many track changes.

Hi Bryce,

Try: shutil.copy2('/var/local/www/currentsong.txt', '/home/pi/lcd3.txt')

-Tim