Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi
I use a raspberry pi2b with moode audio. USB DAC Rockna RD 40 4x pcm1704
I tray all software on the internet, moode is the best in my opinion.
One problem i found on all software:
Wifi dongle using rtl 8192 dosen't work
I have a TP Link TL WN823N
How to make this wifi adapter to work?
I read a lot on the internet but no luck
thanks

Short answer, apparently none of the distros you've looked at include a driver for this adapter. That should be a clue that's it's not a good choice for us:(

I did a Google search on "TP Link TL WN823N" and "Raspbian" and got back a lot of links to howls of frustration.

Here's what one user went through to get it to work in Ubuntu (presumably on an x86 system):

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2335483

My advice is to get a different USB WiFi adapter such as one of the ones named in the MoOde Player setup guide. I frequently use the "CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter / Dongle (802.11 n/g/b 150 Mbps)", based on the Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 chip. It's worked flawlessly for me. The Edimax EW7811UN has also worked fine for me (but not for others on an RPi3B with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro). In particular, they've both worked on a Raspberry Pi2B such as yours.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

PS - As an aside, I expect the full description of the chip in the TP Link TL-WN823N is "rtl8192eu". Given that, I also note https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver but even if it's good source it still has to be built for Raspbian.

I tried to transfer the music files via MOODE/SDCARD by mapping the folder in Windows 7. Used pi/raspberry but it always return that it is not authorised. Tried using smb via FileZilla and it also doesn't work. At least for FileZilla, I can see the directories and files but just doesn't allow a successful transfer. I suspect it has to do with the access permissions.

However, if I were to use estrong file explorer app on my Android phone, i can make the transfer.

I can't find what's wrong with doing it via Windows. Any help will be much appreciated.

Ed

P.S.: sorry for the duplicate post - the network hung when posting the 1st message.

Problem solved. I used another PC without a domain group (the 1st PC was an office laptop assigned to a network domain) and I can find MOODE via the Samba share.

Short answer, apparently none of the distros you've looked at include a driver for this adapter. That should be a clue that's it's not a good choice for us:(

I did a Google search on "TP Link TL WN823N" and "Raspbian" and got back a lot of links to howls of frustration.

Here's what one user went through to get it to work in Ubuntu (presumably on an x86 system):

My advice is to get a different USB WiFi adapter such as one of the ones named in the MoOde Player setup guide. I frequently use the "CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter / Dongle (802.11 n/g/b 150 Mbps)", based on the Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 chip. It's worked flawlessly for me. The Edimax EW7811UN has also worked fine for me (but not for others on an RPi3B with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro). In particular, they've both worked on a Raspberry Pi2B such as yours.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

PS - As an aside, I expect the full description of the chip in the TP Link TL-WN823N is "rtl8192eu". Given that, I also note https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver but even if it's good source it still has to be built for Raspbian.

The manufacturers release hardware and claim Linux support when in fact all they have done is maybe submit their driver for acceptance in Linux kernel. When and if that happens is ?

-Tim

Hi Tim

Don't know if you went into the article itself. But after reading it I found that there are 'audio threads' who's priorities can be adjusted. Just a moderate adjustment of 70+/- provided really good benefits.

This info is from ALSA but the other info applies the same thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thread Priorities
The next and final step is to set a few thread priorities. The real time patch should have created several IRQ threads as well as added a “hrtimer” thread. These can be viewed with ps -e. Use the chrt command to set thread priorities (in Debian this is part of the schedutils package). It doesn't matter which order the priorities are set. Scan the output of the ps -e command looking for threads like “softirq-timer” and “softirq-hrtimer”, taking note of the pid of each one (on a dual core system there are two of each, one for each CPU). Find the pid of the IRQ thread that the sound card resides on. Looking at the output of cat /proc/interrupts should reveal this. Set new priorities for each thread:

Low latency howto - AlsaProject
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I usually create a script and put it in the path to run at boot.

I kept this so I would remember, pick and choose what you like or not. My script is at the bottom of the page.
https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/setting-up-alsa

Based on ALSA's recommendations on tuning audio threads with the rt kernel I increased the priority to 87. It is always tempting to go 99 but I find that in some cases 99 gives some glare to the sound.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

Been using Panda Wireless PAU06 300Mbps N USB Adapter $13 bucks on Amazon. Works great with no set up required for Linux, Mac, Windows. Great range and works with every Pi Music software I could get my hands on....

MoOde 3.6 on RPI 3 with BOSS DAC and WD Mybooklive as NAS.
Second question:
I have a lot of songs on my Windows desktop. Is there a way for me to 'cast' these songs on MoOde described in the setup above?
I have a single network at home and all devices are on the same network.
Currently I have DLNA turned off in MoOde (I think it is the default setting).
I have a couple of suggestions other than what has already been explained:

1. Use iTunes. You can just airplay into Moode, nothing else needed.
2. Use TuneBlade software to cast airplay music to the Moode Airplay receiver. If you want the Pi system to replace your PC sound completely, nothing else is needed. If you want to keep local sound but only send a particular program (VLC, for instance) to Moode, then there are workarounds like installing VB-audio virtual cable) and routing the programs output to the tuneBlade.

I have the second setup and its really, really nice! Since it took over my PC sound, I went for the 'extended' configuration, and I am really happy with how things turned out.

If you need any further details, I'll be happy to share.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Tim,

I wondered if you could help me. Today electric power went out. When it came back, the RPi3 restarted, I can access the moode.local WEB interface, but MPD has not started.

If I run:
$ sudo systemctl status mpd

I get:
Code:
mpd.service - Music Player Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service; disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2017-05-15 16:05:13 ECT; 3s ago
  Process: 1426 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 1426 (code=exited, status=127)

May 15 16:05:13 moode systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
May 15 16:05:13 moode mpd[1426]: /usr/local/bin/mpd: error while loading shared libraries: libogg.so.0: ELF load command alignment not page-aligned
May 15 16:05:13 moode systemd[1]: mpd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
May 15 16:05:13 moode systemd[1]: Unit mpd.service entered failed state.

Everything else works OK:
- Moode OS started correctly and I can SSH into moode
- I can read the USB drive through the terminal
- I can play sounds through the USB system

But, of course, Moode WEB interface fails to do most anything, as MPD is not running.

Any ideas? I don't want to re-flash the memory, so if there is something to try before that, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Rafa.

Edit: it appears the entire WEB interface is broken, as not even restart or shutdown options work. The Pi3 just stays on!

Last edited:
Tim,

I wondered if you could help me. Today electric power went out. When it came back, the RPi3 restarted, I can access the moode.local WEB interface, but MPD has not started.

If I run:
$ sudo systemctl status mpd

I get:
Code:
mpd.service - Music Player Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service; disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2017-05-15 16:05:13 ECT; 3s ago
  Process: 1426 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 1426 (code=exited, status=127)

May 15 16:05:13 moode systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
May 15 16:05:13 moode mpd[1426]: /usr/local/bin/mpd: error while loading shared libraries: libogg.so.0: ELF load command alignment not page-aligned
May 15 16:05:13 moode systemd[1]: mpd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
May 15 16:05:13 moode systemd[1]: Unit mpd.service entered failed state.

Everything else works OK:
- Moode OS started correctly and I can SSH into moode
- I can read the USB drive through the terminal
- I can play sounds through the USB system

But, of course, Moode WEB interface fails to do most anything, as MPD is not running.

Any ideas? I don't want to re-flash the memory, so if there is something to try before that, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Rafa.

Edit: it appears the entire WEB interface is broken, as not even restart or shutdown options work. The Pi3 just stays on!

Hi Rafa,

- A bad /etc/mpd.conf file will cause MPD to die.
- pgrep the following to see of they are running
worker.php
watchdog.php
mad

check the logs
dmesg
cat /var/log/syslog

-Tim

There was severe file corruptions during the blackout. The weird thing is that Moode was 'resting' and not playing anything.

What sort of 'frequent' file I/O operations take place when Moode is not even updating libraries or anything else?

I ask because continuous file writing could have a long-time effect on the SD card or USB drives attached to the Pi. I am really surprised of that level of file corruption on the SD card when nothing was playing.

Thanks for any insight.
Rafa.

There was severe file corruptions during the blackout. The weird thing is that Moode was 'resting' and not playing anything.

What sort of 'frequent' file I/O operations take place when Moode is not even updating libraries or anything else?

I ask because continuous file writing could have a long-time effect on the SD card or USB drives attached to the Pi. I am really surprised of that level of file corruption on the SD card when nothing was playing.

Thanks for any insight.
Rafa.

Hi, Rafa.

I don't know about your power grid but things get ugly when mine goes down. There are often short bursts of power as the system switchgear tries to deal with the situation.

I suspect all bets are off if a Raspberry Pi is rapidly power-cycled.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks for any insight.
Rafa.

Hi Rafa,

Linux is always writing to various logs etc. I regularly just pull the plug on my Pi's due to laziness, whether they are playing or not, and no issues when plugged back in.

I don't know of a way to root-cause a corrupted card after a power outage/restore scenario.

-Tim

LCD update engine question

I have a 4x20 character LCD connected to my RPI and I have written a small script that will update the display with informaiton from the file /var/local/www/currentsong.txt. I have tested it repeatedly and it works fine.

In Moode 3.6 I set the System / Local Services / LCD update engine ON, and supplied the full path to the Python script: /home/pi/dev/LCD_Display_Song.py. However, the LCD is not being updated. I have rebooted the RPi since making these changes.

Is there a log or something that I can have a look at to see what the problem might be?

I have a 4x20 character LCD connected to my RPI and I have written a small script that will update the display with informaiton from the file /var/local/www/currentsong.txt. I have tested it repeatedly and it works fine.

In Moode 3.6 I set the System / Local Services / LCD update engine ON, and supplied the full path to the Python script: /home/pi/dev/LCD_Display_Song.py. However, the LCD is not being updated. I have rebooted the RPi since making these changes.

Is there a log or something that I can have a look at to see what the problem might be?

Hi,

To troubleshoot:

1) verify the .py script is executable (+x) and has shebang (#!/usr/bin/python) as first line.

2) verify the LCD updater engine is functioning by blanking out the "path to python script", turn it OFF/ON then cat /home/pi/lcd.txt. This file is created by the engine when the script path is empty. It should be a copy of /var/local/www/currentsong.txt

3) write a simple BASH script like below and test it

#!/bin/bash
cp /var/local/www/currentsong.txt /home/pi/lcd2.txt

-Tim

Hi,

That result suggests a compatibility issue between the DAC and the Linux USB audio driver in the 4.4.50 Std and 4.4.39 Adv kernels that Moode uses. There are a couple of DAC's for example M2Tech Hiface that require a custom usb audio driver thats not generally compiled into Raspbian Linux.

I have a number of TODO items for the Library including options for choosing what to use for certain columns. Plan is to work on these for Moode 4.0 release (end of year).

If by tiled you mean a grid of album cover art, its on the TODO list to investigate.

-Tim

Thank you. Looking forward for the update. Unfortunately, the interface on mobile is killing the user experience. Having to go truth a 1000 lines long list of albums sorted in alphabetical order is a real pain.

Also in the now playing window I have to scroll down the whole playlist in order to reach the now playing window.

I will try tablet but it is too big to comfortable control the app while sitting relaxed in my chair.

What keeps me hanging on to moode is the sound quality. Soundstage and air are impressive.

Saving script in restart.sh

Tim,
I have been running MoOde v 2.7 and 3.1 on a rpi3B with Audiophonics ES9023 TCXO Dac Hat, using an Audiophonics script to enable the assembly to be switched on and off with a push button momentary switch.

Following this tutorial

7http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewt...386416aa3b08c7b797e51bc78cf0261&start=75#p702

On upgrading to v3.6 all goes well until parts 6,7 and 8.

I find that it is not possible to save the changes when writing the script in

Code:
 /var/www/command/restart.sh
(no write permission)

Is there a way to circumvent this situation? if not, then I am stuck on v3.1.

I think this write problem is also referenced here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-704.html#post5051790

Thanks for any help :cheers:

Ronnie.

Ronnie,
I know it's been noted before, so apologies for reiterating, but unless there's a very real need to turn the Pi+DAC off, you'll find that the sound quality is better and remains consistent when all is left constantly powered. Generally permanently powered on is beneficial with lower power electronics particularly audio
Happy Listening
Ian

Thank you. Looking forward for the update. Unfortunately, the interface on mobile is killing the user experience. Having to go truth a 1000 lines long list of albums sorted in alphabetical order is a real pain.

Also in the now playing window I have to scroll down the whole playlist in order to reach the now playing window.

I will try tablet but it is too big to comfortable control the app while sitting relaxed in my chair.

What keeps me hanging on to moode is the sound quality. Soundstage and air are impressive.

Hi,

Why don't u just use the search feature on the Albums list? You can search by Album or artist name.

Not sure what you mean by "now playing window". If you tap the Playback tab it auto-scrolls the Playlist to the currently playing item. Tapping the o icon on the header pages between the knobs and cover art.

-Tim