Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I've used most of the different audio players and theirs something about Moode as to my ears it's has a bigger sound and has more life to it

ie say your in a nightclub the others are like standing at the bar which is ok your enjoying the music where Moode is like being on the dance floor making shapes
Knocked the nail firmly on the head !

Agreed on the screen , would be awesome to get something working.. just about to laser cut a case.:cool:

Excuse my ignorance, but where does the sound quality difference come from with these? Assuming you have identical hardware and the various settings are the same.....ie, interpolation filter, playback levels, mixer type, hardware/software volume control, mpd config, etc, etc, etc, then your setup should sound the same, yes??

Dave.

To me, it's the channel and instrument separation - basically sound stage. Also transparency of sound. I think it has something to do with jitter, I read somewhere. I'm just a layman though, I hope somebody whose expert on this could explain it for us.

Last edited:
Sorry in advance as this is my first post, but I just have one question around this great piece of software which I have now incorporated in 2 brilliant projects. I will document them soon when I have a bit more time (where is a good place to share these things?).

Q: when you add a new radio station eg. I am trying to add BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (not to be confused with BBC Radio 5 Live!), where do you add the cover art? It's a minor issue but would be good to make it all look good since the cover art for other stations is there already.

Sorry in advance as this is my first post, but I just have one question around this great piece of software which I have now incorporated in 2 brilliant projects. I will document them soon when I have a bit more time (where is a good place to share these things?).

Q: when you add a new radio station eg. I am trying to add BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (not to be confused with BBC Radio 5 Live!), where do you add the cover art? It's a minor issue but would be good to make it all look good since the cover art for other stations is there already.

I think it's part of the stream so it will just show up

Update i may be wrong as just added station and cover art is not showing

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but where does the sound quality difference come from with these? Assuming you have identical hardware and the various settings are the same.....ie, interpolation filter, playback levels, mixer type, hardware/software volume control, mpd config, etc, etc, etc, then your setup should sound the same, yes??

Dave.
These was my first thought as well! If its bit perfect, it's just 1s and 0s, and the same ones at that!

Alas, my ears told a different story, and I documented my findings both as objectively as possible with A-C B-C type comparisons as well as my subjective take.

It may just be volume, but I found Moode richer and fuller than Volumio.

I hopped it was not a gimmick like normalizing or compression that would give a 'punchier' feel but degrading the original recording intent, but in the long run that would have been noticeable and I never saw such artifacts.

So, I believed my ears and stick with Moode! :)

Best regards,
Rafa

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
These was my first thought as well! If its bit perfect, it's just 1s and 0s, and the same ones at that!

Alas, my ears told a different story, and I documented my findings both as objectively as possible with A-C B-C type comparisons as well as my subjective take.

It may just be volume, but I found Moode richer and fuller than Volumio.

I hopped it was not a gimmick like normalizing or compression that would give a 'punchier' feel but degrading the original recording intent, but in the long run that would have been noticeable and I never saw such artifacts.

So, I believed my ears and stick with Moode! :)

Best regards,
Rafa

I have not seen any objective testing that demonstrates (possible) differences with identical hardware setups. Maybe I missed it in your posts? Can you give me a link?

If it's a mystery and/or something proprietary, I'm willing to accept that.

The other fellas are just posting speculation (and a silly numerical ranking) based on subjective evaluation. I find that of little value and highly questionable.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi, I want to report moode r31 some experienced.

- When load playlist, the first song in the playlist is miss. My quick fix is add a first blank line to the playlist. (maybe mpd side)
- Random play in the playlist is not random, my playlist around 4,000 songs when I load a same playlist. The same song apear a lot when reload the playlist, my quick fix is to disable it and use mpd instead.
- The boot time is too long compare with previous release, I disable eth0 check but I think it still idle around 10-15 seconds.
- DSF cover art not show in the web ui but normal flac has no problem. (I use lastest mp3tag)
- It very slow when transfer a file from pc to usb harddisk via ethernet cable. (pc -> ethernet cable -> rpi + usb)

- Don't laugh at me, I found each SD card make a different sound. I think something in sd circuit make a sound different. My favorite is Transcend ultimate > Sandisk > Kingston.
- I used my diy dac with hifiberry dac+pro driver, I can hear a better sound to my ear when upsampling cd flac to 32bit 384khz. Upsampling to 32bit 352.8khz also make a different sound.

- Is it possible to reduce the final image around 50MB? It will fit a 2GB SD card that I have a lot.

Best regards,
Joe.

I have not seen any objective testing that demonstrates (possible) differences with identical hardware setups. Maybe I missed it in your posts? Can you give me a link?

If it's a mystery and/or something proprietary, I'm willing to accept that.

The other fellas are just posting speculation (and a silly numerical ranking) based on subjective evaluation. I find that of little value and highly questionable.

Cheers,

Dave.
This is what I wrote:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...ic-player-comprehensive-list.html#post4933446

If you want more detailed info as to how I tested, I'd be glad to share my process. I know it's not 100% provable, but it was what I was able to make without buying more equipment and as an objective test as I was able to conjure, as I hate subjectivity and 'audio voodoo' as it I said called here and in other forums.

Hope it helps,
Rafa.

- Is it possible to reduce the final image around 50MB? It will fit a 2GB SD card that I have a lot.

Don't be in a big hurry to minimize the SD card size -- I have extended the file system to the full extent of the card in Moode, and loaded music files. I heard a modest improvement but a consistent one playing those files compared to the same files on my NAS. I also used SoX outside Moode from the command line to do the same upsampling that Moode does during play, and those (192/24) files sound better from the NAS, the processing load falls by 30-40%. The additional small increment in quality comes from playing them from the SD card. Nothing huge in any of this, but it's fun.

Skip

Sound Quality of MoOde

Coming from the windows side of pc, I can say, sound quality is a lot determined by the smallest, leanest, skinniest os as possible. If you like, you can find a lot of information by googling "Audioplayer MQN", Audioplayer "Jplay" and "AudiophileOptimizer". I tried them out and they are all very, VERY good, but the result is depending of an os, may it be win server 2012, may it be win 10 that is always stripped down to the absolute minimum for playing music. There is almost no chance, to use your device for other purposes. So I decided to follow Tim´s way: start with a real small os (linux) and add some player functionality instead of reducing all other functions and processes. The number of running processes is to my experience THE point, whether a system sounds good or not. I dont know why, but everyone can hear the difference. It´s truely not a question of believe or not believe - just go and hear yourself. I did and now i´m here. I´m not sayind MoOde is the best sounding sound.system, but for me it´s the easiest way to get what I want. What do I want? A simple, smart, small and cheap musicplayer with most excellent sound quality. Just play, stop, volume. I dont need nothing more - no colourful pictures, no pretty case or fancy knobs. What is on my wishlist is some kind of integrated room correction, as this would replace my windows laptop - one device less, one disturbing, sound-reducing device less.

Luki

It would be nice if there would be a function that starts the playlist automatically after starting the raspberry.

By using moode via wifi you could turn off wifi which improoves the sq, that is a fact.

Another option is e.g. that wifi turns off itself after a set time and with the next start it turns on again automatically in order to eg change something the playlist or in the settings.