Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Moode Player users,

I've been very pleased with the audio performance of Moode Player using my RPi/HiFiBerry DAC+ combination coupled to a decent but aging "stereo" system as we called them way last century.

Even the cheap USB DAC I'm using with Moode Player on another RPi has given acceptable performance coupled to a computer-grade desktop audio system, but I'm now upgrading this system and thinking about the existing DAC as well.

Has anyone compared the audio performance of I2S DACs in the US$40-200 range ---HiFiBerry products seem like a good start here---vs USB DACs in the same price range---Audio Quest's DragonFly Black and Red DACs seem like a good start here. Any recommendations or caveats about one approach vs the other in the context of Moode Player?

I'm looking for listenability here, not perfection. Buying another I2S DAC seems safe because of the good match to RPi capability and my experience with the HiFiBerry DAC+, but I can see an advantage to the easy reuse of a USB DAC in different systems, whether for testing or regular listening. That advantage is nullified if the two approaches aren't roughly comparable.

Regards,
Kent

PS - Thanks, Tim, for supporting so many devices in Moode Player. Awesome!

Hi kent,

If u go USB just beware that stock Linux USB driver is buggy and does not work with some implementations of high speed USB chipsets (XMOS, WaveIO, etc), otherwise USB DAC's are fine.

If you want hassle free then go with I2S DAC's. The PCM5122 based DAC's will run in Moode using hardware volume control, nice logarithmic curve and with chip options that can be tweaked. ES9023 based DAC's are also fine.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

For #3, click on the cover art image in Library panel and a menu will appear with Add, Play, Clear/Play selections. It works for single Album, whole Artist, Genre or entire collection.

At some point I plan to rewrite the Library feature in a way that would allow it to be organized around more than just Genre/Artist/Album tags but its a significant work effort.

-Tim

I'll await eagerly :) Thanks for the mouse over tip, I'll try it when I get home, can't believe I didn't find this before, I suspect its not working in some browsers perhaps. I'll let you know if that's the case.

When you get around to the Library rewrite perhaps put out a call for feature requests to see what people are looking for. Another one I find no one is handling well (including iTunes) is Favourites / Playlists.

I'll await eagerly :) Thanks for the mouse over tip, I'll try it when I get home, can't believe I didn't find this before, I suspect its not working in some browsers perhaps. I'll let you know if that's the case.

When you get around to the Library rewrite perhaps put out a call for feature requests to see what people are looking for. Another one I find no one is handling well (including iTunes) is Favourites / Playlists.

Hi,

When u see the Hand or Link cursor in Moode, click! For example if u click the cover art on the Playback panel a google search is launched in a separate window using the song metadata :)

-Tim

Hi,

When u see the Hand or Link cursor in Moode, click! For example if u click the cover art on the Playback panel a google search is launched in a separate window using the song metadata :)

-Tim

I think there's a bug its not working for me. I'm a linux user, I've tried both firefox and google chrome and neither include this behavior. I also checked for javascript errors and there didn't seem to be any?

Trying Pi Zero

I just received my Pi Zero, Phat DAC, and RealTek 8188cu in the mail yesterday and soldered it up today.
I burned the 2.6 to an SD card and plugged it in but I am not getting AP Mode. Do I need to connect a keyboard and monitor to change some setting?
I'm sure there is a page in this thread somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

I just received my Pi Zero, Phat DAC, and RealTek 8188cu in the mail yesterday and soldered it up today.
I burned the 2.6 to an SD card and plugged it in but I am not getting AP Mode. Do I need to connect a keyboard and monitor to change some setting?
I'm sure there is a page in this thread somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Hi,

This link has workaround that may help.
"http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-297.html#post4708377"

Moode Setup guide has list of WiFi adapters that support AP mode.

-Tim

Hello,

First, let me thank you for your work!

I'm facing problems setting up my configuration.
I'm using Rpi2 with the official WiPi dongle. What I want to achieve is the Rpi connected to Ethernet cable and sharing its internet connection via the wifi AP.
All I get is an access point, but with out internet sharing - Joining from my smartphone I do get connected but the wifi sign has a "!" mark next to it - which means I cannot connect to the internet. Moode web interface is reachable when browsing to 174.24.1.1

Any help is much appreciated
cheers

It's pretty straightforward: RPI-Wireless-Hotspot - eLinux.org

Follow that and the internet connection you have via ethernet will be shared out via the PI and its AP.

Btw. is there a way to disable Ethernet completely and keep just WiFi enabled

There's a couple of ways:

Disable:

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo 0x0  /sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/buspower'

Enable:
Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo 0x0 /sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/buspower'

Will kill the ethernet and USB - no good if you are using USB devices, but does save about 200ma in running power.

Disable:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 down

Enable:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up

Will turn off the Ethernet port(s), but will leave USB functioning, but doesn't save any power (or minimal saving at least).

Unless you are looking to save power, I would just use ifconfig and put the command in a startup script - Tim can probably recommend the appropriate place.

There's a couple of ways:

Disable:

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo 0x0  /sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/buspower'

Enable:
Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo 0x0 /sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/buspower'

Will kill the ethernet and USB - no good if you are using USB devices, but does save about 200ma in running power.

Disable:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 down

Enable:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up

Will turn off the Ethernet port(s), but will leave USB functioning, but doesn't save any power (or minimal saving at least).

Unless you are looking to save power, I would just use ifconfig and put the command in a startup script - Tim can probably recommend the appropriate place.

Hi,

Why turn of Ethernet port?

-Tim

Has anyone compared the audio performance of I2S DACs in the US$40-200 range ---HiFiBerry products seem like a good start here...

Regards,
Kent

PS - Thanks, Tim, for supporting so many devices in Moode Player. Awesome!

Subjectively only :)

I have:

Cheapo Aliexpress DAC (copy of the australian-made Pi DAC - can't remember the name)
HifiBerry DAC and AMP
IQAudio DAC and AMP
Cheap Aliexpress USB DAC

Of all of them, the IQAudio DAC seems to perform the best, and has the best specs.

Listenability, the cheap Aliexpress USB one seems warmest, but warm isn't what I am looking for :)

I've just made some units using HifiBerry AMP and IQAudio AMP+ into a pair of two-transducer arrays attached to a couple of old valve radio cabinets. Running the players in multi-room, the difference between the IQAudio and HifiBerry units are indistinguishable, over the differences between the two radio cabinet differences, as you would expect :)

Re; Which DAC is better sounding ??

Hi,

I do not wish to open a Dac war, but I have noticed posts asking which DAC is "best" sounding. People reply with Dac "x" or Dac "y" or Dac "z". "This one is clearer", "this one is softer", "more rounded" and other subjective assessments etc etc.

I believe that the greatest modifier of analogue sound output from a Dac, is not the type of chip used, but the output filters the Dac vendor has chosen to employ.

All Dac chips have to reconstitute the original analogue waveform at the output. To do this a reconstruction filter is employed. This may be just a simple low pass filter to prevent aliasing, or it can be extremely complicated,
( see LME49710 filter board - I2S over USB Audio as an example of a filter costing 50 odd euros, on top of the cost of the Dac boards themselves).

There are numerous papers and articles on the subject, (start with wikipedia), and there are threads on diyaudio.

What I am getting at is one vendor's Dac using a (for example) ES9023 chip, might sound entirely different from another vendor's Dac using the same chip, if they use different types of reconstruction filter!

Unfortunately, the trend seems to be, the more expensive the Dac is, the better it will sound, as is normal in the hifi game.

The bottom line is that if you enjoy the type of sound your system makes then be happy with it!

cheers

Patrick

Hi,

Why turn of Ethernet port?

-Tim
Buggered if I know :) I wouldn't do it, but someone asked...

This is because few people here are dealing with WiFi connection dropping and trying everything in desperation. Problematic setup is RPi3 (built in WiFi) + Hifiberry DAC+PRO - mentioned few times before on pages 396/397 by myself and G PAYNE and on page 399 by SLAUKAS.
I am not sure if it is something to do with the kernel Moode is currently usng as SLAUKAS suggested.
For time being tho I will switch to RPi2+WiFi dongle following TheOldPresbyope thinking.