Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

To which I replied

Oops. I didn't read carefully enough what you wrote, Baek. For lsusb to show no device at all is *not* expected. I was thinking about the device not advertising its audio capability in a way known to the Linux audio subsystem.

USB is tricky (some would say it's a nightmare) but there should have been something detected when you plugged in your device. This is basic stuff which has nothing to do with what kind of device it is.

Any detected USB device then shows up as a line in the lsusb output with Bus and Device numbers (assigned by the OS as a device is detected) and a VendorID:productID (declared by the device). The text string which follows the IDs in the lsusb output does not come from the device itself as I implied before but from a predefined list within the filesystem on most Linux distros (/var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids in MoodeOS). If the device VendorID:productID isn't on the list, there will be no text. [1]

If you are really curious, you can plug your X-1 device into your Windows box and find its USB VendorID:DeviceID by going through the Windows Device Manager, and there are Windows utilities out there similar in function to verbose lsusb, but going that way seems an academic exercise.

Sorry if I muddied the waters.

Good luck.

MH,
Kent

[1] The list is maintained by volunteers, and the distro may not provide the most up-to-date version of the list, so it is by no means an exhaustive list. Possibly, the volunteers add value through their activity, but it looks to me as if many of the entries have simply been scraped from the iProduct field in the USB Device Descriptor of devices known to the volunteers. It is curious to me that the Linux USB utilities don't just read the content of the iProduct field in the Device Descriptor directly.

Hi Kent
Thx for your help and info......
The usd.ids has older xmos products looking like this:
20B1 XMOS Ltd
20B1 10AD XMOS Ltd XUSB Loader
20B1 F7D1 XMOS Ltd XTAG2 - JTAG Adapter

My windows "lsusb.exe" says....
VendorID:20b1 Product Id: 3086 "XMOS Usb Audio" "Singxer" "USB Audio 2.0 (X1).

Tried to ad a line with same syntax in usb.ids like 3086 USB Audio 2.0 (X1) -----newbie atempt!
But of course this gives no sound....

The best baek47

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

Its just a display bug on Audio info. Moode is not actually converting the audio to VBR. I might be able to fix the bug for the 2.7 release or possibly in the next 2.6 update.

-Tim

Hi Tim!

Have experimented with Bubble upnp and found, that there seems to be VBR compression when Moode is in upnp- renderer- mode. The reason for this suspicion is, that when I choose local renderer in bubble upnp (phone as upnp-receiver) instead of Moode, there is untouched flac 16bit 44.1 khz- and this is shown in bubble directly below the cover art. switching to Moode again as a upnp receiver then shows floating bitrate there as demanded. Are you sure, that there ist really no VBR in Moode's upnp-renderer-settings? And if not, where do you think it's practiced? In Bubble, Tidal, or Qobuz? Tidal and Qobuz are stated to give out uncompressed flac...and bubble also streams uncompressed flac with maximum bitrate with the phone set as upnp receiver. I'm getting mad on this;-)) Have tried to find a solution the whole weekend;-) Via Airplay Tidal and Qobus for shure play lossless and uncompressed flac...that is also visible in Moode's 'Audio Info'...so I assume it is not only a visualization bug in Moode.

Thanx and greetingz, Robert

Hi Tim!

Have experimented with Bubble upnp and found, that there seems to be VBR compression when Moode is in upnp- renderer- mode. The reason for this suspicion is, that when I choose local renderer in bubble upnp (phone as upnp-receiver) instead of Moode, there is untouched flac 16bit 44.1 khz- and this is shown in bubble directly below the cover art. switching to Moode again as a upnp receiver then shows floating bitrate there as demanded. Are you sure, that there ist really no VBR in Moode's upnp-renderer-settings? And if not, where do you think it's practiced? In Bubble, Tidal, or Qobuz? Tidal and Qobuz are stated to give out uncompressed flac...and bubble also streams uncompressed flac with maximum bitrate with the phone set as upnp receiver. I'm getting mad on this;-)) Have tried to find a solution the whole weekend;-) Via Airplay Tidal and Qobus for shure play lossless and uncompressed flac...that is also visible in Moode's 'Audio Info'...so I assume it is not only a visualization bug in Moode.

Thanx and greetingz, Robert
Just checked this out and bubble does display vbr but flac with its own renderer. I checked the Audio info on the Moode play panel and it has correctly selected the flac stream from my Asset upnp server.

I use my Moode player for background listening so have not sat down for serious listening to check.

I think however that this is a case of the renderer reporting the rate of bits coming before mpd decodes it.

When I first started ripping my cd collection I used the default settings in my ripper which I think was a compression level of 6. In the last couple of years I decided to use the zero (0) compression level as all was interested in was the metadata facilities.

When I play one of my earlier rips (Compression level 6)I get a bit rate of around 500-600K as it constantly changes. I then play a cd I ripped yesterday (compression level 0) I get a constant 1412K 44kHz which does suggest that the upnp is passing back the incoming physical bitbrate.

If I check the Audio info on the Playback panel on the Moode web front end then for both tracks the Audio output is 16bit 44kHz 1.4 mbit.

I will investigate further tonight.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So now it seems to be clear. I've tested with Archphile and the result is the same. I get variable flac stream indication also on MPDroid when upnp-rendering. Airplay via Tuneblade f.i. delivers pure lossless flac. I hope that my guess can be eliminated. I really would like to use bubble upnp for Tidal-streaming 'cause it's nice-buildt an very comfortable to use.

The most ambitioned aspect in using bubble is the central control-ability of all functions an play modes from one mobile device: the smartphone.

But maybe things will clarify to be positive in the end. If it is really the fact, that bubble compresses streams to mpd-renderers, I'm asking why and if there is a way to modify that. Bubble doesn't touch the stream when it is directed to the phone as a renderer- funny when someone thinks about, that the phone doesn't have the potential for max. sound quality;-)weird world

Greetingz, Robert

If that compression stupidity can be solved, the whole thing would be a perfect digital audio system;-) Anyway, I don't understand why the bubble-guys should degrade a Tidal-stream, that comes lossless and without any limitation. That makes no sence to me and even less, considering, that they've bound Tidal as fixed to their app.

If that compression stupidity can be solved, the whole thing would be a perfect digital audio system;-) Anyway, I don't understand why the bubble-guys should degrade a Tidal-stream, that comes lossless and without any limitation. That makes no sence to me and even less, considering, that they've bound Tidal as fixed to their app.

Hi,

It is bug that causes "Encoded at: VBR compression" to be displayed on Audio Info screen for UPnP files. It just thinks its a radio station (http://) and thus assumes VBR compression was used to encode the stream since there is no "EncodedAt" tag in http stream metadata.

The bugfix will be included in next Moode update and then Audio Info will display "Encoded at: Unknown" for UPnP files and the Playback panel will not display a bitrate. See attached screen shots.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r26-upnp1.png
    moode-r26-upnp1.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 196
  • moode-r26-upnp2.png
    moode-r26-upnp2.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 197
Ok so it looks like Bubble proxies the http request to tidal.
Hi
As I said above I don't think Bubble is doing anything , I think the upnp renderer is reporting the bit rate arriving
as it is measured, it is then passed to MPD which then processes the flac expanding it to the full 1.4 Mbit rate.

If you have a upnp server I might be able to send you link to a sample test track at different flac compression levels.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi,

It is bug that causes "Encoded at: VBR compression" to be displayed on Audio Info screen for UPnP files. It just thinks its a radio station (http://) and thus assumes VBR compression was used to encode the stream since there is no "EncodedAt" tag in http stream metadata.

The bugfix will be included in next Moode update and then Audio Info will display "Encoded at: Unknown" for UPnP files and the Playback panel will not display a bitrate. See attached screen shots.

-Tim

Hi Tim!

Would be nice, if it's only a visualization-bug- but variable bitrate is also indicated in bubble upnp. It shows right under the cover- and it shows flac (uncompressed) when choosing phone as upnp receiver- and in the end bubble sounds slightly degraded compared to airplay-tidal-stream. In addition I found the same behaviour when testing with Archphile. So wether Tidal do streams to phones with compression or bubble compresses with Moode or Archphile as rendering systems- for what reason ever.

Greetingz, Robert

Hi
As I said above I don't think Bubble is doing anything , I think the upnp renderer is reporting the bit rate arriving
as it is measured, it is then passed to MPD which then processes the flac expanding it to the full 1.4 Mbit rate.

If you have a upnp server I might be able to send you link to a sample test track at different flac compression levels.

Thanx Serverbaboon!

That sample test tracks would be great. Maybe Tidal itself compresses for phone usage. That would explain the softly degraded sound quality. Tidal with airplay doesn't show vbr-compression neither in Moode nor in Archphile.

Greetingz

Hi

Hi,

MPD provides a snapshot "bitrate" which Moode displays on the Playback panel for radio station streams. This bitrate represents the level of compression thats being used. It is not the same as the encodedAT rate.

For example Redbook CD audio is encoded at 16 bit, 44100 samples per second, 2 channels using a form of Constant Bit Rate (CBR) encoding. When a CD is ripped to song files using a lossless encoder like FLAC or ALAC, the encoding algorithm defaults to using Variable Bit Rate (VBR) encoding at some level of compression, or zero compression. The encoder also adds metadata tags to each file including the tags below that represent the encodedAT rate of the source (the CD in this case).

BitDepth
SamplingRate
Channel(s)

Moode uses the mediainfo util to extract these tags from song files and then display the info as "Encoded at:" on the Audio Info screen.

-Tim

Hi Tim!

Would be nice, if it's only a visualization-bug- but variable bitrate is also indicated in bubble upnp. It shows right under the cover- and it shows flac (uncompressed) when choosing phone as upnp receiver- and in the end bubble sounds slightly degraded compared to airplay-tidal-stream. In addition I found the same behaviour when testing with Archphile. So wether Tidal do streams to phones with compression or bubble compresses with Moode or Archphile as rendering systems- for what reason ever.

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Robert,

As long as lossless compression is used it doesn't matter whether CBR or VBR encoding is applied. The sources original encodedAt rate will be maintained.

-Tim

Thanx Tim!

That's a bit confusing to me. I know i'm getting annoying- but I'm a straight forward guy when I have faced an aim;-)

Only one question: Why then do I have in bubble and also in Moode and Archphile the indication of 'pure' flac when I do Airplay-streaming with Tidal?...that works with Tidal on a routed phone as well as with Tidal on a PC (just to kill my previous suspicion that Tidal makes differences between phone- and PC- streaming). Also when choosing phone as the renderer I get 'pure' flac indication in bubble.

Just to repeat: With Moode or Archphile as a renderer chosen in bubble, bubble itself indicates VBR- you can see the bit rate changing while listening to a track- and the same in this mode appears in Archphile or Moode just visualizing a moment of bitrate measuring.

Probably there's misunderstanding on my side but the fact's keep me asking;-)

Greetingz

Hi,

MPD provides a snapshot "bitrate" which Moode displays on the Playback panel for radio station streams. This bitrate represents the level of compression thats being used. It is not the same as the encodedAT rate.

Moode uses the mediainfo util to extract these tags from song files and then display the info as "Encoded at:" on the Audio Info screen.

-Tim

This is what I am thinking but having trouble saying. 😂

If I play tracks with different flac compression levels different vbr encoding levels displayed.