Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Phil,

Firefox has been problematic as Browser so I'm a bit hesitant to remove placeholder. Its used in other places for example the search input fields etc.

-Tim
Hi Tim,

Firefox is doing the right thing according to the html5 spec.in this case, chrome gets it wrong . In the NAS mount definition, it makes more sense to pre-populate the default values so that they are immediately editable - especially the mount options string which, by default, is too long to type in just to change an ro to rw, for example. As you populate the fields with the defaults either on save or when retrieved from an existing mount point definition, you might as well preset the value of the mount options string anyway.

Not talking about any other screens or fields.

Cheers,

Phil

Moode Player never gave me a segfault before.

This with TR6 on an 8GB Class 10 uSD card in my RPi2B (CanaKit Wifi adapter, USB audio out, 2amp power supply).

I left the player in "Pause" mode overnight. This morning, I clicked "Play" but got no audio output and the browser interface immediately lost all the information it gets from MPD. I ssh'ed into the player and found this entry in syslog (reflected from daemon.log):

Code:
Jun  2 07:44:29 moode-rpi2b systemd[1]: mpd.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Jun  2 07:44:29 moode-rpi2b systemd[1]: Unit mpd.service entered failed state.

I don't see any telltale signs in the other logs.

On the outside chance this was a memory card problem, I'll flash TR6 on a new card.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Tim,

Firefox is doing the right thing according to the html5 spec.in this case, chrome gets it wrong . In the NAS mount definition, it makes more sense to pre-populate the default values so that they are immediately editable - especially the mount options string which, by default, is too long to type in just to change an ro to rw, for example. As you populate the fields with the defaults either on save or when retrieved from an existing mount point definition, you might as well preset the value of the mount options string anyway.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil:

I agree that pre-populating the default settings makes sense and that's not the function of the placeholder attribute.

One also should be able to reset a setting to the default value in order to back out of a change.

As an aside, chasing cross-browser compatibility has been a nightmare since the moment a quarter-century ago when the world's second browser was created, and then the third, usw. Turning to Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc, current versions of every well-known browser except Opera Mini are shown in green, e.g., support the placeholder attribute, but as we see there is a lot of wiggle room in how they support it.

Regards,
Kent

Ummm, maybe it's just me but
  • TR6 booted into AP mode on my RPi3B with internal WiFi and I could configure it via WiFi
  • TR6 did not boot into AP mode on my RPi2B with USB CanaKit WiFi adapter and I had to configure it via wired ethernet
  • once configured, TR6 then rebooted and ran fine in WiFi client mode on both
  • by contrast, TR5 booted into AP mode on both

Swapping uSD cards back and forth, I'm reminded that it would be useful if you added the TR# in the motd (for ssh logins) and in the "about" page of the browser output. Just my two cents worth.

I promised some more radio stations a while ago. I'll try to get them to you before the weekend.

Regards,
Kent

Hi kent,

I'm able to repro Canakit + Pi-2 fails AP mode. This is due to a bad config file on the TR6 image. Take a look at /etc/network/interfaces on a fresh image booted up with eth0 and you will see a file like below where wlan0 has a configured ssid. This file is from some tests I had run.

AP mode starts but fails to get IP address because wlan0 is busy trying to join ssid. The reason it works on Pi-3 and not Pi-2 is probably due to timing.

I've updated the image build prep to take care of this issue and re-rested with a default interfaces file and AP mode comes up fine on Pi-2 + Canakit.

Btw, the default interfaces files should only have the loopback and eth0 sections.

Many thanks for testing :)

#########################################
# This file is automatically generated by
# the player Network configuration page.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid "Bogus"
wpa-psk ""

Moode Player never gave me a segfault before.

This with TR6 on an 8GB Class 10 uSD card in my RPi2B (CanaKit Wifi adapter, USB audio out, 2amp power supply).

I left the player in "Pause" mode overnight. This morning, I clicked "Play" but got no audio output and the browser interface immediately lost all the information it gets from MPD. I ssh'ed into the player and found this entry in syslog (reflected from daemon.log):

Code:
Jun  2 07:44:29 moode-rpi2b systemd[1]: mpd.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Jun  2 07:44:29 moode-rpi2b systemd[1]: Unit mpd.service entered failed state.

I don't see any telltale signs in the other logs.

On the outside chance this was a memory card problem, I'll flash TR6 on a new card.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Segfaults are 99% bad sd card (corrupted file system). I'll do a bit of investigation.

-Tim

SMB access via OS X?

I'm new to MoodeAudio, which works extremely well, but I cannot access on a Pi2 on the local network via SMB on OS X. It shows up in the Finder sidebar but won't connect either as guest or root/root. I'm not too familiar with Linux -- is there a preset SMB user/password in MoOde OS? If not how do I access via SMB?

Here is the log.samba file:

pi@moode:~ $ cat /var/log/samba/log.samba
[2016/06/02 10:10:08.792436, 0] ../source4/smbd/server.c:370(binary_smbd_main)
samba version 4.2.10-Debian started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2014
[2016/06/02 10:10:09.089172, 0] ../source4/smbd/server.c:475(binary_smbd_main)
At this time the 'samba' binary should only be used for either:
'server role = active directory domain controller' or to access the ntvfs file server with 'server services = +smb' or the rpc proxy with 'dcerpc endpoint servers = remote'
You should start smbd/nmbd/winbindd instead for domain member and standalone file server tasks
[2016/06/02 10:10:09.089487, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:111(exit_daemon)
STATUS=daemon failed to start: Samba detected misconfigured 'server role' and exited. Check logs for details, error code 22
pi@moode:~ $

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Makes sense. I've made the code changes and tested on Safari and Win7/Chrome with no issues but I don't use Firefox so unable to test.

The change will be in TR7, so when released please test.

Regards,
Tim

SMB access via OS X?

I'm new to MoodeAudio, which works extremely well, but I cannot access on a Pi2 on the local network via SMB on OS X. It shows up in the Finder sidebar but won't connect either as guest or root/root. I'm not too familiar with Linux -- is there a preset SMB user/password in MoOde OS? If not how do I access via SMB?

Here is the log.samba file:

Hi,

Which version of Moode?

-Tim

OK, I got it working: I added a user pi to the smb group with a password using:

sudo smbpasswd -a pi

Now I see all the Sources and can mount them on OS X. Nice!

Hi Tim,

I'm running 2.6, 2016-05-DD

Hi Stu,

2016-05-DD is TR5 and samba in this TR samba is broken for guest access from OS X. Adding user Pi is work around.

Moode 2.6 TR6 (2016-06-DD) does not have this issue but it has a bad network config file so I'd skip this TR and test again when TR7 released. U should not need to add user Pi in this upcoming release.

-Tim

Hi,

Just tested on Pi-2 and no issues. Below is /etc/network/interfaces file. Try specifying the Primary DNS same as Gateway addr.

-Tim

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.199
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1

That did the trick.

Hi Tim, I am just getting started with the Raspberry and I love Moode.
My knowledge of things is minimal but installing Moode was a breeze (TR6).
You have done such an amazing job and I am admirative at the amount of time you spend supporting Moode with newbies like myself.
I have two items I wanted to bring to your attention (am trying to keep it short :) ) :
- The radio names are replaced by the urls when displaying playlists (don't know if it's supposed to be like that but wanted to mention it anyway)
- I have been trying to use a rotary encoder that I connected to GPIO 23, 24, GND but it is not working and I would appreciate some pointers. (I have activated the rotary setting and disabled the sound in the configuration panel). Id love to be able to test in terminal and see something move or debug with some code from prompt.

I use a HIFIBERRY AMP+ on top of a Raspberry pi 3.

I have a fun project of turning an old French radio from 1937 into a fantastic Moode Radio!

Hi kent,

I'm able to repro Canakit + Pi-2 fails AP mode. This is due to a bad config file on the TR6 image. Take a look at /etc/network/interfaces on a fresh image booted up with eth0 and you will see a file like below where wlan0 has a configured ssid. This file is from some tests I had run.

AP mode starts but fails to get IP address because wlan0 is busy trying to join ssid. The reason it works on Pi-3 and not Pi-2 is probably due to timing.

I've updated the image build prep to take care of this issue and re-rested with a default interfaces file and AP mode comes up fine on Pi-2 + Canakit.

Btw, the default interfaces files should only have the loopback and eth0 sections.

Many thanks for testing :)

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid "Bogus"
wpa-psk ""

Thanks, Tim. I actually did notice the "Bogus" ssid last night but I was thrown off by the RPi2B-RPi3B business and too busy working out what I owe Uncle Sam this quarter to investigate.

This afternoon, I burned a new uSD card with TR6, edited /etc/network/interfaces to the minimalist form, threw in "TR6" in /etc/motd and /var/www/footer.php per my other kvetch, and booted it on the RPi2B. The system came up in AP mode as it should.

In the past, I haven't paid much attention to how different browsers rendered your pages and processed data in them, but I have plenty of them here on Debian, Linux Mint, Windows 7/10, and Android platforms because of other projects. I'll try to be more diligent. Can't be letting Phil have all the fun ;)

Regards,
Kent

Hi Tim, I am just getting started with the Raspberry and I love Moode.
My knowledge of things is minimal but installing Moode was a breeze (TR6).
You have done such an amazing job and I am admirative at the amount of time you spend supporting Moode with newbies like myself.
I have two items I wanted to bring to your attention (am trying to keep it short :) ) :
- The radio names are replaced by the urls when displaying playlists (don't know if it's supposed to be like that but wanted to mention it anyway)
- I have been trying to use a rotary encoder that I connected to GPIO 23, 24, GND but it is not working and I would appreciate some pointers. (I have activated the rotary setting and disabled the sound in the configuration panel). Id love to be able to test in terminal and see something move or debug with some code from prompt.

I use a HIFIBERRY AMP+ on top of a Raspberry pi 3.

I have a fun project of turning an old French radio from 1937 into a fantastic Moode Radio!

Hi,

When MPD saves a playlist it only includes the path/url to the song/stream.

Not sure whats needed to get rotary enc working with HifiBerry AMP+. I'd try asking on the Hifiberry forum.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

I have a couple of "PiFi DAC" boards for the older RPI model B boards (26 pin I/O connector.) After installing pins on the P5 connector for I2S support, these work flawlessly with Moode using the "HiFiBerry Dac" setting:

HIFI DAC Audio Sound Card Module I2S interface for Raspberry pi B Version-in Demo Board from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I wonder if you could add this card as an explicitly supported device in the next release of Moode. There is also a digital-out version:

PiFi DIGI / HIFI DIGI Digital Audio Card with I2S to S/PDIF for Raspberry PI Model B Blue-in Demo Board from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Presumably this also works as a "HiFiBerry Digi" but I don't have one to personally verify.

Best Regards,

- Steve

Hi Tim,

I have a couple of "PiFi DAC" boards for the older RPI model B boards (26 pin I/O connector.) After installing pins on the P5 connector for I2S support, these work flawlessly with Moode using the "HiFiBerry Dac" setting:

HIFI DAC Audio Sound Card Module I2S interface for Raspberry pi B Version-in Demo Board from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I wonder if you could add this card as an explicitly supported device in the next release of Moode. There is also a digital-out version:

PiFi DIGI / HIFI DIGI Digital Audio Card with I2S to S/PDIF for Raspberry PI Model B Blue-in Demo Board from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Presumably this also works as a "HiFiBerry Digi" but I don't have one to personally verify.

Best Regards,

- Steve

Hi Steve,

Sure, no prob :)

I'll add them to 2.6 final release.

-Tim

Hi,

Moode 2.6 Test Release 7 (TR7) is available for download at moodeaudio.org under the TEST CODE button. This TR is based on 2016-03-18 Jessie Lite and Linux kernel 4.4.8 and includes fixes and updates from all previous TR's.

Like the previous test releases, TR7 includes support for the new Raspberry Pi 3 and is built on moodeOS 1.0 the new J-Lite based operating system for Moode Audio Player. Features included in this TR are listed below. READ the release notes for a complete list.

- NEW: Support for Raspberry Pi 3
- NEW: moodeOS 1.0 J-Lite factored for Moode Audio Player
- NEW: WiFi automatic Access Point (AP) mode for direct connection
- NEW: True random play for a continuous stream of music
- NEW: Audio scrobbler service (Last.FM)
- NEW: Airplay metadata and cover art displayed on UI
- NEW: USB storage devices auto-mounted by disk label
- NEW: Network configuration system
- NEW: Auto-configuration system for run-once name change at boot
- NEW: Vol.php CLI for setting volume via command line
- NEW: Support for BBC 320K HLS streams

- UPD: Linux kernel 4.4.8
- UPD: MPD custom compiled version 0.19.15
- UPD: WiringPi compiled version 2.32
- UPD: Bump to shairport-sync 2.8.4

Fixes to bugs reported in previous TR's

FIX: etc/dhcpcd.conf static wlan0 address not commented out on fresh image
FIX: incorrect worker log message when eth0 does not exist
FIX: cfg_radio missing 1st record
FIX: lib/systemd/system/mpd.service and .socket have +x 0755 and should be 0644
FIX: can't connect to samba share from OSX
FIX: rpi-dac overlay not loading pcm1792a driver for Soekris DAC, RPi-DAC
FIX: bad config file causing AP mode fail in certain scenarios
FIX: placeholder values not editable using Firefox
UPD: MPD socket connection handling
UPD: USB audio hot-plug management

Don't forget to READ the updated SETUP GUIDE to learn how to make use of new capabilities. The (i) help text in Moode itself provides additionl explanation of features.

Btw, the USB (UAC2) audio fix is now a setting on System config so no more ssh for this.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• moode-logotypes-v2.png
    moode-logotypes-v2.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 248