Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Tim,

First... thank you so much for all your efforts in creating and enhancing the Moode Audio Player to where it is today.

I am currently running it on an older Raspberry Pi, but just placed my order for a new Raspberry-Pi-3, with the built-in wifi.

My older Rasp-Pi does have a wifi adapter, but it does not support access-point mode. Access-point-mode is something I will be able to put into use on the new Pi when using Moode to supply music when not at home. (I'll be able to control it from my phone without needing to rely on a wifi-network I can connect to.)

I do have a question... On my home dd-wrt based access point I can create multiple "ssid's" with one of them for use by my guests, having very limited access to my home LAN. Is something similar possible with your stripped down OS?

The use-case is this:
I sometimes play music at social-ballroom-dances, and it is very nice for those attending to know what dance selections are on the playlist. (So they can plan which selections they dance, and which ones they will sit through)

At some dances the playlist is printed in advance and distributed to attendees, and at other dances, it is displayed on a board or projected on a screen.

It would be perfect if a "guest" ssid allowed a user to connect to a read-only web-page showing only the playlist in Moode. Those with smart phones could just connect and see what selections will be playing next.

The normal administrative "Moode" page would be protected and only be accessible by me through the normal access-point "ssid", so I can control the playlist, volume, etc.

I'm not sure if others have a need for a similar publicly accessible (read-only) playlist that is not protected with a pass phrase, but I can imaging those supplying music for a party might find themselves in a similar situation.

J. L.

Tim,

First... thank you so much for all your efforts in creating and enhancing the Moode Audio Player to where it is today.

I am currently running it on an older Raspberry Pi, but just placed my order for a new Raspberry-Pi-3, with the built-in wifi.

My older Rasp-Pi does have a wifi adapter, but it does not support access-point mode. Access-point-mode is something I will be able to put into use on the new Pi when using Moode to supply music when not at home. (I'll be able to control it from my phone without needing to rely on a wifi-network I can connect to.)

I do have a question... On my home dd-wrt based access point I can create multiple "ssid's" with one of them for use by my guests, having very limited access to my home LAN. Is something similar possible with your stripped down OS?

The use-case is this:
I sometimes play music at social-ballroom-dances, and it is very nice for those attending to know what dance selections are on the playlist. (So they can plan which selections they dance, and which ones they will sit through)

At some dances the playlist is printed in advance and distributed to attendees, and at other dances, it is displayed on a board or projected on a screen.

It would be perfect if a "guest" ssid allowed a user to connect to a read-only web-page showing only the playlist in Moode. Those with smart phones could just connect and see what selections will be playing next.

The normal administrative "Moode" page would be protected and only be accessible by me through the normal access-point "ssid", so I can control the playlist, volume, etc.

I'm not sure if others have a need for a similar publicly accessible (read-only) playlist that is not protected with a pass phrase, but I can imaging those supplying music for a party might find themselves in a similar situation.

J. L.

Hi J. L.,

Its an interesting usage scenario but would be a substantial work effort to implement guest networking and separate web pages. There probably is a simpler approach but even with that, the bigger problem might be how to support users at the event that are unable to connect with their device, or that experience issues after connecting. This may require bringing paper playlist as a fallback.

-Tim

With TR3 (and TR1) I noticed that the 'reboot' command does not work. It prompts for the password which is not used since everything is done with sudo. Of course 'sudo reboot' works.

Code:
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.login1.reboot ===
Authentication is required for rebooting the system.
Authenticating as: root
Password:
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Failed to execute operation: Access denied
Must be root.
pi@moode:~ $ sudo reboot
Connection to 192.168.1.191 closed by remote host.

With TR3 (and TR1) I noticed that the 'reboot' command does not work. It prompts for the password which is not used since everything is done with sudo. Of course 'sudo reboot' works.

Code:
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.login1.reboot ===
Authentication is required for rebooting the system.
Authenticating as: root
Password:
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Failed to execute operation: Access denied
Must be root.
pi@moode:~ $ sudo reboot
Connection to 192.168.1.191 closed by remote host.

I think you misunderstand the security features here.

The default user "pi" does not directly have root privileges. It is authorized to elevate its privileges for a single command by invoking "sudo" (see the sudo entry in /etc/group) but it has to authenticate itself with its password when it first invokes it. By default, this authentication then lasts for 15 minutes. This timeout period can be adjusted. Consult your favorite search engine.

The behavior you describe is just what is supposed to happen.

Regards,
Kent

I think you misunderstand the security features here.

The default user "pi" does not directly have root privileges.

I am perfectly aware of that. Hence it prompts for the root password. Since the root password cannot be used by default on this distribution this could have failed prior to prompting for the root password.

Since this is out of the MoodeOS scope and more a Raspbian thing, let's not discuss this further here.