Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

This is what I did before I copied the file. I thougt it did'nt work, and therefore copied the file by my self. But it did make the new file, as I can understand.

This is what I have done step by step:

1. edit config text and copy to it these lines:

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

dtdebug=1

2. log into your RP3 Openelec using ssh (terminal for mac/linux, putty for windows)

3.once in openelec give these comands:

mount -o remount,rw /flash/

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/r...ster/boot/overlays/pi3-disable-bt-overlay.dtb -o /flash/overlays/pi3-disable-bt-overlay.dtb

When you copy the second line highlight it from left to right, otherwise you might get it incomplete.
4. exit terminal and reboot and you're done.

Last edited:
Hi Tim, another tested Dac for the list....
SYBASONIC

I bought this one to use on an Android tablet as a portable player. Works fine and so I tried it on MoOde too.

It's 'cheap and cheerful' and more for headphones or powered speakers so don't expect stellar performance but it does do 24/96(confirmed tested ), has optical out pass-thru using the 3.5mm headphone/line-out (using an adapter, tested ), is usb powered and only draws 80 milliamps in operation(confirmed measured )......
Ideal for portable use too with a battery powered Pi. MoOde on the move..?:)

Settings: MPD config as 'USB audio device' and I don't think it needs anything else but I selected CM6631A USB to S/PDIF converter just in case.
I have volume disabled so not using the device's volume/mute buttons.

Bought from...
USB 2.0 96k/24bit 3.5mm DAC Sound Card Adapter w/ Built-in Microphone - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

There it is very poorly described and specs/sampling rate is confusing.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the build and packaging and the documentation is great.

What you get is exactly as the first link above..Sybasonic.

Last edited:
Hi Tim, another tested Dac for the list....
SYBASONIC

I bought this one to use on an Android tablet as a portable player. Works fine and so I tried it on MoOde too.

It's 'cheap and cheerful' and more for headphones or powered speakers so don't expect stellar performance but it does do 24/96(confirmed tested ), has optical out pass-thru using the 3.5mm headphone/line-out (using an adapter, tested ), is usb powered and only draws 80 milliamps in operation(confirmed measured )......
Ideal for portable use too with a battery powered Pi. MoOde on the move..?:)

Settings: MPD config as 'USB audio device' and I don't think it needs anything else but I selected CM6631A USB to S/PDIF converter just in case.
I have volume disabled so not using the device's volume/mute buttons.

Bought from...
USB 2.0 96k/24bit 3.5mm DAC Sound Card Adapter w/ Built-in Microphone - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

There it is very poorly described and specs/sampling rate is confusing.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the build and packaging and the documentation is great.

What you get is exactly as the first link above..Sybasonic.

Hi Bob,

I'll add to database for 2.6 :)

-Tim

Tim,

Am using the player and really enjoy it. Thank you.

A couple of ideas for features:

I use the software volume and enjoy the volume limiting feature, previous software has been prone to tremendous bursts of sound if adjusted incorrectly. But a couple of things would make it easier to work with.

For the sake of discussion let's say you are listening with your player set at 25 and it's limit is set at 70.

One thing that is counter intuitive about the way the feature works is that if I turn it up to 71 it will revert back to 25 and give an "error" message. I think it should stay at 70 and give the "error" message rather than go back to the original setting.

Also on the software volume, you could have a one time bypass to get it past 70 this could be included in the "error" message. Having to go into settings and adjust the max volume to get above 70 is kind of troublesome and it is easy to forget to turn it back down afterwards.

I get some pretty loud pops and whirring noise from my setup during start up and then switching between sources/rates. Also it would be nice to just leave the Pi running and not have to walk over to turn the amp on. An on/off and mute switch for the amp using two of the digital outputs on the Pi would be just the ticket to fix these things. You could have a amp on/off button in the turn off dialog box and could mute when changing sources.

Thanks,

Andy

Tim,

Am using the player and really enjoy it. Thank you.

A couple of ideas for features:

I use the software volume and enjoy the volume limiting feature, previous software has been prone to tremendous bursts of sound if adjusted incorrectly. But a couple of things would make it easier to work with.

For the sake of discussion let's say you are listening with your player set at 25 and it's limit is set at 70.

One thing that is counter intuitive about the way the feature works is that if I turn it up to 71 it will revert back to 25 and give an "error" message. I think it should stay at 70 and give the "error" message rather than go back to the original setting.

Also on the software volume, you could have a one time bypass to get it past 70 this could be included in the "error" message. Having to go into settings and adjust the max volume to get above 70 is kind of troublesome and it is easy to forget to turn it back down afterwards.

I get some pretty loud pops and whirring noise from my setup during start up and then switching between sources/rates. Also it would be nice to just leave the Pi running and not have to walk over to turn the amp on. An on/off and mute switch for the amp using two of the digital outputs on the Pi would be just the ticket to fix these things. You could have a amp on/off button in the turn off dialog box and could mute when changing sources.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Firstly, the audio glitches you describe are definitely not normal and suggest something external to Moode software. I have 6 Pi's including 3 Pi-1B's and 3 Pi-2B's with a mix of I2S boards and USB DAC and never any audio glitches at any sample rate or when switching between rates in a Playlist.

The behavior of volume warning limit is designed so that only user can initiate volume setting.

A behavior where "if accidentally exceed limit then set volume to limit" would probably not work well in practice. For example, if warning limit is 85 and listening level is 25, to suddenly have volume change from 25 to 85 during playback when accidentally moving slider to 86 would probably be "noticeable".

It's possible to use GPIO to perform on/off/mute for an external device like an AMP but which GPIO ports to use that don't conflict with ports used by Rotary Encoder or displays?

What I may do is provide a setting for path to a generic script and some buttons that can be configured to pass args to the script. This would allow user to create custom interface for external device.

-Tim

noobie alert!

Gentlemen,
I am a newbie at this - at raspberry, at linux, at moode.
Ihave a rpi2 and iqaudio dac+ - and it works wonderfully! Sounds great.
I am using the iqaudio moode img and dicovered that it has moode 1.8 and it is now at 2.5. How do I update to the new version?
I expect raspian also needs to be updated. How?
lastly - I would like to be able to use a monitor and mouse as well as the http interface. Ideally a 7in usb monitor I have, but the vga monitor will be fine. I know it works with the rpi because when I reboot moode it does not restart and thae raspian then ahows up on the monitor.

Thanks! And be gentle!
m

Gentlemen,
I am a newbie at this - at raspberry, at linux, at moode.
Ihave a rpi2 and iqaudio dac+ - and it works wonderfully! Sounds great.
I am using the iqaudio moode img and dicovered that it has moode 1.8 and it is now at 2.5. How do I update to the new version?
I expect raspian also needs to be updated. How?
lastly - I would like to be able to use a monitor and mouse as well as the http interface. Ideally a 7in usb monitor I have, but the vga monitor will be fine. I know it works with the rpi because when I reboot moode it does not restart and thae raspian then ahows up on the monitor.

Thanks! And be gentle!
m

Hi m,

Moode 1.8 :O

(1) There is no in-place update feature for Moode so u will need to make a new 2.5 sd card and then configure!

(2) Moode not designed to be run on attached monitor w/kbd for navigation.

Regards,
Tim

Meridian Explorer DAC (original) Hardware Volume

Hi, fellow music lover...

Has anyone using the original Meridian Explorer DAC with Moode (2.5) been able to get hardware volume through the headphone output to work? Audio is coming out just fine through the headphone jack, and I am able to control the volume through the command-line "alsamixer", but when I try changing the volume within the Moode Web UI, nothing happens -- the volume will always remain at "0".

Thanks...