• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Monoblock redesign help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the help.

I’m attempting to figure the voltages and component values I need for my application but am having trouble finding where to start. I’m looking at the Tung-Sol KT66 datasheet and it states 100kohms max for fixed bias. That does this mean? Or how would I even do about calculating the circuit I need to make and the transformer requirements based off of the data sheet and my design? Very lost, lol.

Thanks

Thanks for the help.

I’m attempting to figure the voltages and component values I need for my application but am having trouble finding where to start. I’m looking at the Tung-Sol KT66 datasheet and it states 100kohms max for fixed bias. That does this mean? Or how would I even do about calculating the circuit I need to make and the transformer requirements based off of the data sheet and my design? Very lost, lol.

Thanks

The values in the schematic I linked will work fine. You connect the bias voltage to the grid through the 100k or less resistor.

Thanks Koda,

Would the cathodes then connect to ground with say a 1R resistor to measure across? And would there need to be a bypass cap across the resistor? Or would the cathodes go directly to ground?

And lastly, since each tube will now have its own bias voltage coming from the bias supply, how do you isolate the two bias voltages per pair of tubes on either side of the OPT centertap since their grids are connected together from the phase inverter? All the examples I’ve seen only have two tubes.

Last edited:
Here's the example from my PPP monobloc.

Attachments

• 6F12P-PI-monobloc (1).png
    6F12P-PI-monobloc (1).png
    117.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 6P45S-monoblock (3).png
    6P45S-monoblock (3).png
    95.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I'm not sure what voltages and outputs you're using, but:
According to Push Pull Calculator (from Glassware):

B+ 450V
Ik 50ma
Ra-a 4k3 (Hammond 1650N)
2 pairs of KT66 in push pull will need a bias of about -45V and make almost 25W in triode connection with a 15W class A limit. Third harmonic distortion is 1.1% without gNFB.

Pd is 22.5W/tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.