Modushop chassis punch design library

I was wondering if there is any support for establishing a “library” on DIYAudio consisting of different designs for custom punch/machining patters (in DWG format) for front and rear panels of various Modushop chassis?

For example patterns developed and actually used by members could be posted in an organized fashion, perhaps by chassis type, size, and application (e.g., generic preamplifier, ACP+, H2). Each design would be accompanied by a short description, e.g. 2 RCA input in 1/2” hole; 2 XLR D/size outputs, and so forth. One could then open files to see if configuration meets their needs and then submit them to Modushop rather than possibly incurring a drafting fee.

I’d be willing to work on this if there was interest and support from DIY Audio.

Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
This is a good idea. I’m sure many of us have fumbled through cad-ish designs for things we want. Here are a couple of my recent examples (attached). Hopefully there could be some kind of library for open use.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 168
Joined 2008
Paid Member
0300 is the back plate of my outboard power supply chassis. It is the back of a Modushop Galaxy 3U 300.
0298 is the back plate of my most recent power amp chassis. It is the back of a Modushop MiniDissipante 3U 300.
All the circle holes are for standard Neutrik-like cutouts for XLR, Powercon, Speakon, etc. The rectangular cutout is for the Schurter power inlet that the diyAudio Store offers (other IEC power inlet modules also fit this cutout).
The power amp back plate offers many options for my use cases. Powercon for DC input, Schurter for AC input, cutouts for RCA/XLR/banana binding post connectors.

0300 is the back plate of my outboard power supply chassis. It is the back of a Modushop Galaxy 3U 300.
0298 is the back plate of my most recent power amp chassis. It is the back of a Modushop MiniDissipante 3U 300.
All the circle holes are for standard Neutrik-like cutouts for XLR, Powercon, Speakon, etc. The rectangular cutout is for the Schurter power inlet that the diyAudio Store offers (other IEC power inlet modules also fit this cutout).
The power amp back plate offers many options for my use cases. Powercon for DC input, Schurter for AC input, cutouts for RCA/XLR/banana binding post connectors.
Thanks, I will write up a draft annotation and see if I can create a MS word table that I can copy into this thread as a test. I likely would start a new dedicated thread, with pointer back to this for people to provide suggestions for improvement, and to drop their own drawings.

Hi.

I think it could be usefull to some. I shared my design in this post https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/pictures-of-your-diy-pass-amplifier.166784/post-7276594 if somebody else wanted to do the same (with notes that i misplaced the reference so some components very close / mountability could have been an issue). [Format is Front Panel Designer, but exporting DWG or STP is easy from there if neded. Pictures of the prototype and final amp are a few posts above the link]
So, i am aligned with your original idea.
But searching through posts may be troublesome if there are different categories. Maybe a classification with repositories on Github or CAD dedicated website might be another route?

Have a nice day

Reactions: 1 user
But searching through posts may be troublesome if there are different categories. Maybe a classification with repositories on Github or CAD dedicated website might be another route?
Thank you for sharing your design now.

I was thinking of establishing and updating a Microsoft Word table and link to different posts, as that is what I am familiar with. But I also see the benefit of using a dedicated repository. I am not familiar with GitHub so let me look at that and report back. Do have any other suggestions for a specific resource?

One thing I did not want do was to establish something on a specific design software site like Front Panel Express, as that would be an issue if either the FPE went out of business or decided to start charging for access to the resource area.

Hi.

A.
Regarding the format, I agree that at least a commonly used / readable format shall be the minimum.
DWG/DXF can be such a minimum requirement for 2D (can be exported from Front Panel Express, created from Freecad, Fusion & can be also created with some free tools...)
STEP for 3D I guess.

B.
Github / repository
I don't have anything else in mind yet.
If the list of design is small enough, Word Table can be a simple and easy start

Regards

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

Just idea/brainstorming... To make something relatively simple, it could be something like
A. Get this thread/info known widely within the forum
B. Suggest people to share their designs in the section it was made for
Pass Amp in "Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier"
ACA in ..
ACP+ in ...
Wolverines in ...
C. And contribute to a table managed here with something like

Overall functionStatutHeightWidthLengthHeatSink TypeModuShop EquivalenceFront Panel "functions"Rear Panel "Functions"Link to Original Files postLink to derived "universal" files" postLink to Pictures postComments
Integrated M2x+NuTubeRealized185mm (tbc)330mm400mmFined AluminiumMiniDissipante 4UPreamp on/off, Amp on/off, input switch, Volume controle, hole for headphone jack, windows for Nutube visuPreamp PSU hole, Amp PSU hole, x RCA IN, 2 Speakers OUT,...https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/pictures-of-your-diy-pass-amplifier.166784/post-7276594Not available yet (will do later)https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/pictures-of-your-diy-pass-amplifier.166784/post-7275519Mistake on the original copy of Modushop 2D to make Front Panel design. It would be better to review it as current design volume pot is very close to bottom plate and Nutube PCB very close to top cover

ps: table goes to the right because of the long link to the posts. Browse with left/right arrow

This is a test.

The concept is to develop two "Libraries:" (1) individual design elements that can be imported (ideally without any conversion) into CAD/CAM/drawing programs, including Front Panel Express; and (2) front and rear panel templates for various uses that can either be submitted unchanged to an individual's manufacturer/metal machining company of choice, organized by chassis manufacturer and specific chassis/case name.

I have not inserted in tables under each chassis, nor have I populated the tables yet, as I wanted to get some feedback whether this type of format, and then the individual table columns, are OK. I am trying to ensure that the table does not extend very far right in order to avoid L-R panning.

Please either post your comments here or PM me, so that this thread can remain relatively clean (even if this is not the final location for this information, as I intend to start another "clean thread").

Library 1: Individual Design Elements for Punching/Drilling/Machining
<INSERT description of Library, updating approach, and submission of additions to the Library.>
<INSERT link to download pdf version of the Library.>

Library 2: Chassis Punch Designs/Templates
<INSERT description of Library, updating approach, and submission of additions to the Library.>
<INSERT link to download pdf version of the Library.>

MODUSHOP - HIFI 2000
Dissipante (including DIY Audio Store Deluxe 4RU and Deluxe 5RU Chassis)

2RU 10mm front panel

Creator​
Link or ID​
Application​
Front/Back​
Punch Description​
Notes​

2RU 4mm front panel

Creator​
Link or ID​
Application​
Front/Back​