Modulus-86 build thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I honestly think this IS a good place to discuss these sort of issues as some builders may run into problems. From what I have read Spike cuts in when you exceed SoA and I wouldn't expect that to happen with peaks in classical music. Are you running plastic pack 3886s? It might be some nasty impedance dip, but it would be nice to check its not thermal.

Yes I will be running the Apogees active. 3.2 Ohms for the ribbon, which is pushing my luck, but its a small room which doesn't take high SPL and I am being anal with the thermal management. If I wrong, then Tom should have something in the pipeline for that...

I honestly think this IS a good place to discuss these sort of issues as some builders may run into problems. From what I have read Spike cuts in when you exceed SoA and I wouldn't expect that to happen with peaks in classical music. Are you running plastic pack 3886s? It might be some nasty impedance dip, but it would be nice to check its not thermal.

Yes I will be running the Apogees active. 3.2 Ohms for the ribbon, which is pushing my luck, but its a small room which doesn't take high SPL and I am being anal with the thermal management. If I wrong, then Tom should have something in the pipeline for that...

Yeah, I just don't people to think the chips are low power.

I have plastic chips. Speaker impedance is min 6.7ohms. Metal back chips cool better right?

It should sound pretty amazing on the apogees.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
the metal tab is better, although how much better depends as there are a lot of variables. Have you used heat sink compound? If not a smear might help.

I have the metal tab version and have a range of things to try if the stock arrangement with a silicon washer doesn't work. Won't know until I try!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I am way to lazy to reverse engineer the numbers into theta-cs differences tho....

Once Richidoo goes active he will have effectively 4 times the power so the issue should go away, but spidey sense is not sure that he should be hitting protection on classical music unless something else is amiss.

I like convenience, but too risky on my speakers, until I prove myself wrong.

The amp protected most obviously only on percussive peaks on a Naxos classical piano/violin duo, minimal compression. I would have liked the volume even higher on this album but the uncompressed grand piano peaks triggered the protection. But while playing a jazzy singer Karrin Allison album with more compression, the perceived loudness was much higher and I was surprised that there were no protection events. On both of these albums the tonal texture is off the charts, that's the real strength of this amp - microdetail, and the quiet noise floor (same thing?) Then I tried Ben Folds with heavy compression and I played it even louder, enough that I had to walk around the back of the room 16 feet away from speakers to tolerate it, protection happened only occasionally during bass heavy passages. I was worried of hurting the woofers at this level because they have a lot of passive bass boost and were obviously distorting as expected, but the amp did a good job.
Excellent, Richidoo, that sounds spot on. It's single, sustained notes that are the killer - sopranos hitting the big one did it on my gainclone. And perceived loudness can be massive, without triggering protection - 20W, working properly, on modern, highly compressed rock will be devastatingly loud on normal speakers - everyone in the listening room will yelling at the top of their voices, for anyone else to be able to hear them.

"Tonal texture is off the charts" is what it's about - what's actually happening is that 'correct' sound is being produced, and it's demonstrating that the vast majority of systems are just, simply, "wrong" ...

Not necessarily ... what's going on is that the average SPL of the playback is so high that the ear's inbuilt AGC has switched on strongly, so that the one's hearing can handle the playback comfortably, and minimise damage - the subjective impression is not that the track is loud, or distorted, rather that the sound is very intense. This means that someone speaking at the same time, at their normal volume, is registering as being very faint - you're struggling to pick up the "signal".

An extreme version of this, for me, was some time ago listening to a very loud fireworks effort - no "bad speakers" here, :D - when it finished I could not hear anything, people talking sounded like they were a mile away, :) - my ears had almost totally shut down to protect themselves - took about a quarter hour to restore normal "reception", :).

Bill, in your OP you said:

A few people are thinking of building this so thought I would start a thread on my build and allow people to answer any questions that they have and share their builds.
What I am afraid I cannot do is offer comparisons with xyz. I've been out of DIY for 20 years and getting back in now so I don't have an array of different DIY boards. Also I am not going to claim that this sounds better than any other LM3886 based amp. It will however measure better, much better and certainly well below any sane levels at which transparency is defined. It should have no sound its own.

I am interested as to whether it has "no sound (of) its own" - and part of that is the amp's ability to sustain high SPLs cleanly - this means, for example, that it can reproduce orchestral crescendos correctly - hence, asking people questions about such.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
That is nothing to do with the thread. Please desist or I will request a removal of all your posts on this thread. Fireworks causing short term hearing damage has no relevance to any of the discussions here. I do not want this thread hijacked with pages of drivel so people who are building cannot find anything useful.

That is nothing to do with the thread. Please desist or I will request a removal of all your posts on this thread. Fireworks causing short term hearing damage has no relevance to any of the discussions here. I do not want this thread hijacked with pages of drivel so people who are building cannot find anything useful.
dang who voted you president
its OK for you to go off topic about your speakers and set up, but he caint?
maybe this thread will be moved to commercial posting area, with the other chip amp vendors

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I did when I started the thread with an express purpose of helping with builds and troubleshooting. You can always go start one of your own and complain when I post on it.
If you have a problem with me trying to stop threadjacking report me to the moderators. Otherwise please leave this thread for the purpose it was intended.

I have been using Presonus Firepod as DAC during my active crossover proof of concept project of the last few months, trying to use equipment on hand to see if active digital crossovers would work for me. Now I am moving forward and Modulus is the first of the planned upgrades. But with Modulus I can hear that Firepod tone is not good enough going forward.

So today I rewired my hotrod stereo Buffalo DAC to be balanced output for the Mod86s. Legato1 output stage with transformer output instead of caps. It really gets the tone PERFECT and has a ballsy low end too.

As I suspected, it's a huge improvement in tone quality from the Firepod as source. Miles Davis harmon muted trumpet sound right again, not kazoo, same with solo violin has all the wood and metal and clean edginess that it should. The Modulus-86 is a TONE monster in addition to being a detail monster.