• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

Mean Well support just got back to me regarding the UHP-750-36.

After testing, they report that the minimum load needs to be 0.7A for the unit to stay out of the pulse skip mode.

Assuming the Mod-686 pulls 350 mA from each rail, that means two Mod-686 boards should result in exactly 0.7A being drawn from each supply.

That's cutting it close, but might work.

I'll probably add a 250 Ohm resistor to each rail just to give some headroom. This would result in about 5W of waste on each rail. I could probably go even lower if I wanted. However, the last thing I want is for it to be going in and out of pulse skip mode all the time.

That should work (famous last words). You can always get a chassis-mounted power resistor for the ballast resistor. Then just put it on the heat sink.

330-390 Ω will probably be good. That'll give you 100 mA of margin. I'd use a 25 W chassis-mounted resistor. Vishay makes some good ones. As does Caddock.

The Modulus-686 current draw is not 350.000 mA. It's more like 350-365 mA as I recall. So it's quite possible that a stereo pair will bring the supply out of pulse-skipping mode.

Tom

Just a note. In my measurements of the RPS-400-36, IIRC, the noise problem was not directly correlated to the pulse-skipping low-power mode. You should be out of the problem area if you are drawing enough current to not be in that operating mode. But, with the voltage adjustment cranked up to max (around 39.x Volts), noise went away with much less current draw than required to get out of pulse-skipping mode.

Good to know.

Another question about the Modulus-686 (and perhaps class AB amps in general)...(sorry if I'm polluting this thread)

Are there ever any scenarios where the supply needs to sink current?

Out of curiosity, I performed a risky experiment on my Modulus-86 amp where I attached a lab power supply to the amplifier's output and started trying to raise the voltage (with a current limit). As expected, the amplifier kept its output basically at 0 volts, and the power supply was purely current limited. I was able to push well over 1 amp back into the amplifier before I got scared and stopped.

Where was this current going? Was it purely dissipated as heat? I suspect it wasn't simply pushed back into the supply rail, since that wouldn't be sustainable.

Obviously, this is not a realistic scenario, but a more realistic similar scenario will be encountered when driving reactive loads (either electrically, or physically, like with a heavy subwoofer). In those cases, due to the amplifier's high damping factor, it may end up having to absorb some power to keep the cone controlled.

When adjusting the supply rails of these SMPS, we're bringing it closer to the over-voltage shutoff. If the supply has to absorb current (which it can't), then the rail might start to rise and end up tripping this protection.

Just a note. In my measurements of the RPS-400-36, IIRC, the noise problem was not directly correlated to the pulse-skipping low-power mode. You should be out of the problem area if you are drawing enough current to not be in that operating mode. But, with the voltage adjustment cranked up to max (around 39.x Volts), noise went away with much less current draw than required to get out of pulse-skipping mode.

I concur with Brian. I have been running dual RPS-400-36 supplies for months now at something just over 40V and not a bit of noise from pulse skipping.

Attachments

• Neuro thumb.jpg
    Neuro thumb.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 278