• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

That surprises me. When I lived in Europe, I ordered from RS on occasion. I didn't have a VAT number. Of course, that was a while ago so their policies could have changed. I've bought from Farnell as well. Most of my purchases came from Aarhus Radio Lager and Vejle RC Elektronik, both in Denmark. Aarhus Radio Lager was bought by Elfa in 2006, but to my knowledge they're still around.

Mouser, Digi-Key, Newark, and Jameco to name a few will happily sell to private buyers.

Tom

PSU example: It can be delivered from here in EU/Norway:
https://www.elfadistrelec.no/search...&sid=db68a52517b1674933380985fd1227e561acfa3b

Premières impressions d'écoute

Hello Tom,
Some photos and my first listening impressions.
This is of course a provisional layout, that's why the power cables are
still long.
I have not yet decided if I keep a single double mono block or 2
separate mono blocks.
The bass is very beautiful and very tense, the whole is dynamic, the
stereo image beautiful and ample. I have not yet pushed the amp too
much, to its limits.
The medium is not aggressive, even on digital signals. Maybe a little
less warm than on my Primaluna tube amplifiers, but we feel a real
impression of available power.
I haven't tried vinyl records yet.
4 ohms speakers with 2x36 volts power. Unbalanced input.
More news in a while.
Thank you for the technical support and this great achievement of
amplification cards.
Regards,
Jean-Luc
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jean-Luc,

Please click "Edit" on your post and you should find it.

Attachments

• Diy_audio_edit_menu.jpg
    Diy_audio_edit_menu.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 71
Premières impressions d'écoute

Hello Tom,
Some photos and my first listening impressions.
This is of course a provisional layout, that's why the power cables are
still long.
I have not yet decided if I keep a single double mono block or 2
separate mono blocks.
The bass is very beautiful and very tense, the whole is dynamic, the
stereo image beautiful and ample. I have not yet pushed the amp too
much, to its limits.
The medium is not aggressive, even on digital signals. Maybe a little
less warm than on my Primaluna tube amplifiers, but we feel a real
impression of available power.
I haven't tried vinyl records yet.
4 ohms speakers with 2x36 volts power. Unbalanced input.
More news in a while.
amplification cards.
Regards,
Jean-Luc

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Hi Tom

[/Another option for those who want ±36 V would be the Connex SMPS800RE. Just have Cristi make you a custom ±36 V version. He charges an additional $8 for that.
Note that I have not tested the SMPS800RE with the Modulus-686, but see no reason why it would not work. As long as you get the ±36 V custom version, that is. QUOTE]

For a stereo build, I assume I'd need 1 Connex supply per channel. Would they work with your MeanWell supply boards? Again, one per channel?

Thanks

Paul N

Hello Tom,
Some photos and my first listening impressions. [...]
amplification cards.

You're very welcome. Thank you for sharing your build pictures so far. I hope we get to see the finished amp as well. Nice work!

Pardon my belated response here. It seems DIY Audio has stopped sending out the thread update notifications. Time to refresh those.

Another option for those who want ±36 V would be the Connex SMPS800RE. Just have Cristi make you a custom ±36 V version. He charges an additional $8 for that.
Note that I have not tested the SMPS800RE with the Modulus-686, but see no reason why it would not work. As long as you get the ±36 V custom version, that is.

For a stereo build, I assume I'd need 1 Connex supply per channel. Would they work with your MeanWell supply boards? Again, one per channel?

They would not. They would work with the ISS, however.

I would go with one SMPS800 per channel. You can share the ISS between the two SMPSes.

Tom

Hi All,
My dual mono block Mod-686 build is coming together, slowly.

Did some initial testing and found no problems with interference, a little surprising as it is quite compact in places.

Still trying to decide how to wire the LED in the front panel switch before the lid goes on permanently.:)

More pics later.

Andy

Attachments

• 20200609_192320-crop.jpg
    20200609_192320-crop.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 20200606_192623.jpg
    20200606_192623.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 453
  • 20200603_190120.jpg
    20200603_190120.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 426
Toridy transformers are TSAS 400VA - 2 X 25 V

Would have gone bigger if I could :)

I have made a little photo blog of the entire build journey which maybe of interest. Just tidying it up and fixing links etc then I'll post it here.

Attachments

• 20200201_114528.jpg
    20200201_114528.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 20200104_162839.jpg
    20200104_162839.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 20200104_155357.jpg
    20200104_155357.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 191
Where did you get the transformer mounting plates, I like them. edit Ah, found them on Toroidy, can't see how to buy them separately though, looks like they are only available with the supreme audio transformers. Also, what case did you use?
I had ordered one of these from China but it appears to have got lost on it's way to me and the price is now £40 more than when I ordered so looks like I'll be getting one from Modushop instead, pity as it's a nice case.

case.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you get the transformer mounting plates, I like them. edit Ah, found them on Toroidy, can't see how to buy them separately though, looks like they are only available with the supreme audio transformers. Also, what case did you use?
I had ordered one of these from China but it appears to have got lost on it's way to me and the price is now £40 more than when I ordered so looks like I'll be getting one from Modushop instead, pity as it's a nice case.
They couldn't get you a replacement instead of a refund?

Where did you get the transformer mounting plates, I like them. edit Ah, found them on Toroidy, can't see how to buy them separately though, looks like they are only available with the supreme audio transformers.

I'm pretty sure the "mounting plates" for the transformers is an option when you order. It's not a separate item. I bet it's secured to the transformer with the potting compound.

Tom