• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modifying the Subbu V3 DAC

Thanks PJN for the testimonials, I always prefer that to a square wave for my own understanding.

To have a good tube pre is one of my askings.... Aikido is known to be good:).

Well I'm a little confused : you seems to hear same results between a modyfied Subbu V3 à là Gary and a stock Curryman (modified in the same way ?). I did'nt try the Curryman but found this testimonial very interresting :

Firstly : You certainly use a USB source for the I2S Curryman which by theory is less jittery than a spidf used in the Subbu. Great work of Subbu team or more jitter between the streamer used with the Curryman and this last... or third solution: tubes filter where the jitter can be heard the most : in the highs (treble); a little less transparency with jitter also so the tubes signature dictate in relation to the jitter sound signature ? Don't know, just measurement will test such (certainly bad) suggestions !

Secondly : I'm not a knowledged technician like Subbu team is but believe to understand than their powersupply management is brilliant and go further than the more economical CURRYDAC (this one maybe winning the best buck for the sound... don't know exactly what is the price of this last without the PS ?)

Thirstly : some differences exist : buffer stages, Curryman has, SUbbu not : some people listen to difference, some like you not ! the 4n7 at the output seem to impact : ceramic COG on the Curryman, MKT or MKP on the Subbu (I prefer the MKP and hear a difference...) some like a radial polystiren here !

Here, further the question of transparency betweens systems, I just don't understand why you notice any difference between dac version about tonal balance (which is always my main concert with my mods, secondly stages, far behind transparency.... sometimes the three can match with a good tweak with caps... mostly by luck and try & error work !). Tonal balance is the main difference between Gay and I when we test each others caps mods (but the experience has also not truly concistency because he use a difference PS and hope he gets of the buffer when he benchmarks:D)

May I suggest you to mod one of your DAC for the experience, the Curryman e.g. with my mods list for curiosity... it coud be interresting to know if you can listen to or not a difference here. What is your speakers or drivers if DIY spreaker please ?

Interresting,

Endly, sorry for the pages of mods caps and tweaks, but believe a good device can go always further...even if fews are interrested ! If with furniture some can says a chair is a chair and can not be improved in relation to the seating function, I believe there is difference between Ikea and Louis XV style ! (even for the *** !)
cheers

Last edited:
Hi All

Group Buy closes : 11-30-2014
3 days left to get Subbu DAC V3 & dedicated Low Noise PSU :)

1° - PCBs (DAC & PSU) + ES9023 DAC Chips order Form :
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17NVapTxD83vWXvx3OXpxgc-gJxTpLAt7SqwKMc7_zY8/viewform

2° - Assembly Service order Form :
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1d_4HKu055NhdmI5D04ENQAHSn4TE2DXc-WuZ9_1vomM/viewform
* Transformer included with PSU Assembly Service (110 or 220V).
** Boards are soldered and tested before shipping.

More informations about Subbu DAC V3 :
Build Thread : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/245233-build-thread-building-subbu-dac-v3-se.html
Modifying Thread : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/246003-modifying-subbu-v3-dac.html

Regards

Phil

After discussion with Jean-Paul, the creator of the Subbu DAC V3 (along with Subbu), it was decided that it would be better to have a separate thread to discuss tweaks/modifications from the "standard" BOM build. That is the purpose of this thread. I previously commented on my experience with alternate parts for an early prototype of the V3 DAC. I'll repeat those comments in the next few posts to kick things off.
---Gary

Hello

Where is the original Subbu DAC V3 thread ?

I have the Subbu DAC V1 pcb, is there a lot of differences between the V1 and V3 pcb ?

What do I need to modify to bring my Subbu DAC V1 pcb to a V3 version upgrade ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan