Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make an exception and tell you why: because it may put an equal sign between a lifetime of working as a linear circuit designer, 25 years of education, 25 years of peer recognized R&D, 25 years of working e.g. for NASA, etc... and your experience as a high end audio salesman.

One may spend time on advanced DAC design and evaluation, sharing his results, only to eventually find out, straight from a sacred cow mouth, that actually the original Edison drum sounds better than a CD. How rewarding and encouraging.

I understand your knowledge, but I have an equal amount of experience with many great audio products that I listened to daily for many, many years. My experiences have shown me that not ever amplifier/preamplifier/DAC, etc are great, regardless of their perceived design quality. This is an area where some non-subjective designers get into deep trouble with their lack of interest in how their "circuitry" sounds in the real world. Setting up a system to sound its absolute best is far more knowledge than you would ever imagine or give credit to I would imagine too.

There could be a great deal of cooperation that would benefit designers like yourself, if some subjective input were applied to your design processes, like most of the most famous audio designers use to create their products.

Knowledge and a closed mind to outside of your box thinking, is what constitutes arrogance and self righteousness among many designers. They simply miss the boat and always wonder why their products never receive critical acclaim and success.

I'll make an exception and tell you why: because it may put an equal sign between a lifetime of working as a linear circuit designer, 25 years of education, 25 years of peer recognized R&D, 25 years of working e.g. for NASA, etc... and your experience as a high end audio salesman.

One may spend time on advanced DAC design and evaluation, sharing his results, only to eventually find out, straight from a sacred cow mouth, that actually the original Edison drum sounds better than a CD. How rewarding and encouraging.

I think the underlying reason for audio is overseen in this statement.

Audio recordings are an imperfect (especially in the case of stereo) picture of real world emergences and it might be that a perfect reproduction (yet to be defined) of this imperfect picture isn´t a thing a specific listener really likes if he compares it to the real world emergence.

As long as we are not able to measure audio reproduction quality in exactly the same way as a specific listener percept it, there will be, i fear, a theoretical and practical lap in the process.

And unfortunately with respect to the perception of audio quality all the mentioned extraordinary experience in a professional field doesn´t give any advantage.

And the second thought; a discussion doesn´t make sense if every participant thinks he is beholder of the ultimative truth and every other that isn´t converted to this TRUTH by no later than the second argument must be ......(insert whatever you´ve read in our threads :) )

Wishes

P.S. not to be misunderstanded at that point; rules of science shouldn´t be disregarded but an objectivist has to be even more careful to avoid blending of his personal beliefs with hard facts, otherwise he´ll damage science in the name of science.

Last edited:

Am I to be impressed as if i were a young school girl with your reasoning? You need to get over yourself my friend :D

If you were an early follower of Doug Self, you would find that he argued against some of his: "inexplorated facts with incontestable proofs" and we had a lot of fun with LTE's in both 'Wireless World' and 'Hi Fi News' back in 1984-1986. Dr. Lipshitz himself broke in and said to me, in print that: 'my math was OK, my measurements were OK, BUT it didn't matter, because it was inaudible in a double-blind test. Doug Self, at the time, thought that all caps were virtually perfect and interchangable. Check it out, if you don't believe me. Now, you would think that he 'discovered' capacitor distortion, although I first published my cap distortion measurements back in 1978, 6 years before I ever heard of him. And so it goes.

Hi John,

Happily, everybody has the right to evolve his point of view.

Currently, Self measures harmonic distorsion on caps, you were measuring transient behaviour a long time ago.
Findings are not that different and may draw to the manufacturing of better caps for both points of view.

It seems now that ceramic capacitors which used to have very bad reputation are in fact quite good when specified as NPO or COG : thanks to detailed analysis of harmonic distorsion.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks like the "Moderating" thread needs some moderation. No surprise.

That was very Denis Leary indeed. Non the less, people need to air views and explore causes of tension as reflections of trends and persuasions in audio today in general. There is no doubt that truth by proof is the only progress, as much as there no community can exist without communication.

If nobody will start swearing is all swell.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Me? I'm just biding my time waiting for :santa: to show up and wondering where you all find the time for this.

Cal(m) always :rofl:

Darwin

A scientist actually published findings similar to Darwins just before he did, but was completely unnoticed
Darwin thought it was due time to publish that he knew that 30years before that
He used first half of his life to study and prove his theory
And he spent the last half of his life keeping it a secret
Because he knew how the society would react
It happened anyway
Man, the captain who transported Darwin around the world killed himself after Darwin published his findings
Thats how it was

But which of these seperate events would you respect most
Try figure it out, if possible

Last edited:
Looks like the "Moderating" thread needs some moderation. No surprise.

Pot calling the kettle black? :D

I respond to posts that are directed at me and have no intent other than to incite trouble like so many of the scientific crowd here like to do. The real delusion here is that these same members feel that they have the exclusive right to talk down to anyone with a subjective view point and that the abused party should have zero right to respond in like fashion. In my world if someone swings at me, they will find their butt on the ground in short order. The unwritten law of "don't let your mouth write a check that your butt can't cash".

Too many of the scientific crowd like to degrade the subjective listeners with snide remarks and then expect to not receive crap for such dirty tactics. These are types of things that professional adults should have outgrown I would have hoped anyway.

Am I to be impressed as if i were a young school girl with your reasoning? You need to get over yourself my friend :D

We should all remember that the level of education and the field it was in is generally unknown to the other members in this forum. I would never consider anyone here uneducated regardless of their beliefs or views. Some here like to constantly remind the rest of us how educated they are, but they have no idea who they are talking to in many cases.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Curly, make points but watch language. You have been warned.:cop:

Pot here. ;)

Non the less, people need to air views and explore causes of tension as reflections of trends and persuasions in audio today in general. There is no doubt that truth by proof is the only progress, as much as there no community can exist without communication.

If nobody will start swearing is all swell.

I'm a freedom of speech type (especially my own speech) and I don't like having my words deleted. I haven't said anything here that I wouldn't in person - rather, as pointed out earlier, I constrain myself to avoid getting booted. I always try to be tactful though but tension can escalate due to this:
Some say things here they wouldn't in person, they hide in this virtual world and act altogether differently than they do in the real world. This extends to their reactions when they have been "slighted", they "vocalize" their disapproval here, belligerently where they most likely would not if confronted with the same situation in the real world. The anonymity and isolation bolsters bravery and daring, much like the kid challenging the bully when he knows the bully can't retaliate.
Much conflict could be avoided if when a criticism comes forth, you examine it for a glimmer of truth and take your lumps gracefully without lashing back or hitting the report button. If you feel the need to defend your knowledge, education or honour, do it calmly without the one-up-manship insult flinging.

By the way, I don't view myself as a bully. I try to be helpful first, sometimes this help is construed as a criticism and I wind up deflecting some verbal blows and I admit, once in a while I reply in kind. I usually don't give what I can't take though.
Right Curly?
:)

Particularly in a thread about moderation, "reactionary clique" are just very rude and pejorative words towards those who have a kind of thought prefering observable facts and best objective measurements.

You prefer the 'Wal-mart set' or 'girls just want to have fun contingent' hurdled this way a few posts back? Let's have some consistency here. Telling how none you think I'm insulting argued against the curiously religious phrasing of:

If this guiding light abandons us I worry that DIYAUDIO will change from the proper balance of physics/voodoo to a one sided phoolfest.

forr, I'm a BaScEE and all my male siblings are PEngs. I'm well enough familiar with the mindset. This isn't about technical merit, scientific accuracy or the state of the audio art, it's about perceived authority. Some just consider their opinions above reproach.

Status
Not open for further replies.