mod Naim CD-player with PMD-200 into stand alone DAC

mod Naim CD-player with PMD-200 into stand alone DAC: please help!

As the mech of most Naim CD-players can't be replaced any more quite a few of these machines will become useless in the coming years. Owning a CDS3 I wonder if it would be very complicated to carry out a mod to re-use it as a stand alone DAC.

Looking at the schematics found here I guess the PIC16F629 just configures the PMD200 for 44k/16bit and that's it. There is another bigger mcu which controls the drive and resets the PIC16F629 (the schematic says to issue a re-sync): this mcu would run all the init routines (i.e. setup the drive according to some test measurements etc.) and after success would allow the PIC16F629 to setup the PMD200. The PMD200 can be run in hardware mode but only with 44k/48k, other sampling rates require software mode.

Replacing both PICs would allow the use of the LED display to show information such as bit depth and sampling rate. The only other things needed would be a second clock for the 48k based rates and a USB bridge. But I am afraid this kind of mod would overwhelm my skills… What do you think?

Last edited:
I can write code for Atmel / AVR / Teensy / Arduino etc., but not for PIC micro controllers. I would try to replace the PICs with daughter or adapter PCBs and put an attiny or similar in place of the PIC16F629. I think I could hook my scope to the PIC16F629 and record what it writes to the PMD-200, but even more convinient would be to have a code snipped or example from somebody who already wrote code to control the PMD...

The PMD100 can be configured with an attiny. Best to send it to deep sleep after configuration. But apart from the dither settings and the attenuation there is not much in it. The PMD200 needs software mode for all sampling rates higher than 48k.

Last edited:
start from code which surely must exist...

That is the internet at its most insidious. It must there, just one more search and then another and next thing weeks have gone by. Not everything is on the internet much as we'd like to think so. I have been on the internet since the mid 90's and I have only once seen DSP code for an 8x oversampling filter. As for digital video, good luck with that.

Hi jpk73, thnks for the very useful tip.
I asked about arduino because I can use dedicated Arduino software for acces the board. Now I see that I could use the same aruino software for ATtyny.
like this?
High-Low Tech – Programming an ATtiny w/ Arduino 1.6 (or 1.0)
High-Low Tech – Using the TinyProgrammer
Tiny AVR Programmer Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com
PMD100 working just great with in stnad-alone mode but oversampling is pre-set to 8X I think. I would like to try 2X OS.
Yes the PMD200 (as I am remember well) could not run without microcontreller setting

Last edited:
hi JPK73
Today I am very fortunate to see discussions on the topic of PMD200. For more than a year, I tried to use AVR to configure the PMD200 registers, but failed. At first I began to think that my control code had a problem, until one day I configured other chips in the same way to work, that is, I couldn't make PMD200 run. I simulated the code through PROTEUS and proved that it can work. Due to errors in the PMD200 data sheet, I cannot find more accurate information about PMD200.Now I am very frustrated. I sincerely hope that the experts will help me answer. I am very grateful.

For more than a year, I used AVR (Mega328P) hardware SPI to configure the registers of PMD200, but I did not succeed. I found that the PMD200 Ver0.6 data sheet is the first version and contains errors and unclear timing diagrams. I look forward to helping to make it work. thank you very much.

I found that the PMD200 Ver0.6 data sheet is the first version and contains errors and unclear timing diagrams,

For example, the data sheet PMD200 38pin defines NC. If the NC is not connected according to the manual, the chip will not work. The correct way is to link 38PIN to GND ,TKS

Last edited by a moderator:
hi JPK73
Today I am very fortunate to see discussions on the topic of PMD200. For more than a year, I tried to use AVR to configure the PMD200 registers, but failed.

OK, I hope we can fix it! If we don't find any other way I can open my Naim cd-player and try to record the communication with my scope - at least that way we should be able to reverse engineer the control code! If you send me your code I can look into it and see if I can help.

I used AVR (Mega328P) hardware SPI to configure the registers of PMD200, but I did not succeed.

Did you also try I2C instead of SPI? In my Naim cd-player only reset(29), sck(26) and sda(25) are connected to the mcu (see schematic in the first post)...

the data sheet PMD200 38pin defines NC. If the NC is not connected according to the manual, the chip will not work. The correct way is to link 38PIN to GND

Great, thanks for that!

Last edited: