Miscellaneous designs - Markaudio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, SEAS etc

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I folded the A12pw line so as to maintain Zd, yet move the driver pysically to the top of the box. Zd is fixed in a TL and should not be moved.

A12pw will fit into any of the iterations of the standard A12pw ML-TL, straight, folded and the twin i use in our A12pw MTM. Nanosaurus has a more compact ML-TL. I am sure Scott has done a basic reflex, and i have done a full-on trapezoidal Mar-Ken, and there is an existing CGR of the right size it could be popped into if there is a desire for these. As well we Scott & i have started a Royal Sovereign Class Battleship series of BVRs with Empress of India for the a12pw, and requests for A12p next.

Custom designs are certainly on the table.

Just a note: I design the miniOnkens and draw Scott’s reflex, horn, and TL designs.

dave

Thanks Dave. I didn't realise there's quite a few designs for the 12pw.

I'm basically looking for something simple I can make from straight cuts, which is why I was thinking of going with a reflex. I do like the idea of an MLTL as I've never had one. What do you think is the better choice for the 12pw?

I like my A12pw Folded MLTL. They take up some space. It is the bottom module of my WAW. Currently listening to it full range until I get the DSP crossover/amps finished. Using it currently with ACA 1.1 monobocks driven by a iFi iTube buffer. There will be something else on top of it monitor size. Currently have an Eikona 2 and a A5.3 in monitor size MLTL enclosures that I will cycle through. May get a Moap 7 to try out. Also have a pair of A10.3 to build.

Dave, I am quite interested in the folded MLTL. Could you point me to anywhere where the plans are available?

I've also noticed the wodendesign website isn't working at the moment, it says the domain name needs to be renewed.

Wcwc, how do the 12pw sound on their own? I'll probably run them fullrange until I figure out the best biamping solution for my situation too

Well I cycled through listening to the Eikona 2, the A5.5, and A12pw. Keep coming back to the A12pw. I miss a little up top with it, but I like the way the bottom end sounds. I does a better job of filling my room. My listening space is not rectangular and has a bunch of doors and closets in it. Roughly 16 ft by 40 ft at its longest. Originally had it sitting on the carpet, but the bass transmission was annoying my wife. So I installed some isolating spikes, which has toned down the bass transmission.

The plan was on the Woden Design website. I originally got it off one of the many threads around here, but I am not sure if it survived the website migration.

Thanks for your impressions wcwc.

Thanks for sending the plans over, Dave. In terms of bracing, is the holey brace suggested? If so where would it be attaching to? I know normally it would attach the top, back, front, and bottom of the cabinet. Would it just be a case of it running from top to bottom, attaching to the sectioning piece of wood in the middle?

Found one. Somebody asked about one of these monoliths a couple of weeks ago, so dug this off the HDD & cleaned up the sketch quickly.

For the Seas Exotic F8. The correct proportion ratio too. Best in black, obviously. ;)

Attachments

• Seas Exotic F8 X1-04.PNG
    Seas Exotic F8 X1-04.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 318
...and since I'm on a bit of an early '70s kick at the moment: a couple more bipoles and a quadrupole, this time for the 11MS.

The second of the bipoles (which purely for the sake of convenience has a filename of di-bipole) has the drivers in independent partitions, so builders can play with wiring the rear driver in phase (bipole) or out of phase (dipole) with the front unit, or even simply disconnecting the rear if so-desired. For obvious reasons you can't do that in cabinets where the drivers share the same volume, hence a dedicated box that allows it.

Attachments

• Alpair 11MS bipole.PNG
    Alpair 11MS bipole.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Alpair 11MS di-bipole.PNG
    Alpair 11MS di-bipole.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Alpair 11MS linear quadrupole.PNG
    Alpair 11MS linear quadrupole.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 176