• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery

Bare - as I recall the "factory suggested" drawings for basic vented enclosures for the 12" ranged from 1.6 (45 L) to 3.6 cu ft (102 L) (Mallorcan and Stuart respectively)

The Tannoykens finished off at almost exactly the smaller of those two figures.

Unfortunately, something went terribly wrong with the veneer after a couple of months in the client's home (severe cracking along the flitch seams and grain pattern). They're currently on the bench after being completely stripped and I'm almost finished with re-veneering. They somehow feel even heavier than when I first built them ;)

microMar-Ken6

Hi,

this is my job. One pair with 6.2m and one with 6.2p

northernky

Attachments

• IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 510
Dave.. I made a pair of mini's a year or so ago to use on my laptop whilst away with work.. they were unfinished just rough in there original plywood monkey coffins. I ended up giving them to a friend who though they were amazing. My next project now I have some shed time coming up, was to build some floor standing for my surround sound system. I dont use a sub, that's why I like the TL's, it was only me asking if anyone had experimented with a TL version in the past. If the MK ii does the same job then I'll make those. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I made a pair of mini's a year or so ago to use on my laptop whilst away with work...who though they were amazing.

You mean milliSize? What driver?

My next project now I have some shed time coming up, was to build some floor standing for my surround sound system.

The floorstanders are still the same reflex tuning as the standmounts. We actually take measures to fight the quarter-wave action.

We have recently revisted this style ofminiOnken and now have one for Alpair 10.x and FF165wk.

dave

You mean milliSize? What driver?
The uFonken.. your gunna go yuk.. but was short of money coming off the back of a long unemployment period.. so I used the FE85 .. I needed my music on the road and .. well I liked them, perhaps could be better with some other driver don't know, I'm no expert and don't claim to be. Did everything that I wanted and impressed a few people when I told them I made them in a shed with a saw and big drill. Went with what I could get my hands on and afford, and there was a 2nd hand pair for £18 on eBay.

Now I have the cash and equipment I'm going to make some out of solid oak.. yeah yeah I know people baulk at the idea of solid wood.. but the dampening should help with re verb and a hey .. Stradivarius didn't work with 1/4 inch ply !

What driver would you recommend.. problem with uk is getting hold of the ones recommend by the old colonials ? :) Oh btw the FE85 was also easier to do because of the circular plate. I've been looking at the FR89EX-4 because of the round plate for the next pair.

Fonken FF165wken floor standers made with solid 40mm mahogany baffle and ply enclosure. Microfonken FF85wken made from solid black locust. The locust has UV properties and looks pretty cool under a black light. Bernie

Attachments

• IMG_20150128_131414.jpg
    IMG_20150128_131414.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_20150120_225709.jpg
    IMG_20150120_225709.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 500
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What driver would you recommend.. problem with uk is getting hold of the ones recommend by the old colonials ?

Almost all the suitable drivers are available in the UK.

All of these are very tightly tuned to the driver installed in them... you take a big flyer using something else at random.

What size box, what budget, what kind of goals?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An approproate miniOnken could be used as a studio monitor. The largest inpediment is how loud you monitor at. A7.x and FE127 have been trialed and found good but in the end the levels made the potential users somewhat concerned with blowing them up. A Mar-Ken10p, with the larger more efficient driver would likely cover most instances. A10.3 would likely be considered more accurate at the expense of about 3 dB of level.

dave