Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

When building a foam core Karlsonator, and it's time to glue that last side on, there are 8 - 10 edges that will receive a bead of glue. These edges need to be coplanar, to ensure that there are no air leaks. I found that rubbing the box, edges down, against a a pair of 16-inch square concrete stepping stones puts the edges into the same plane.

Hey guys,

I was thinking of taking the drawing of one of these karsonators with TC9 or comparable driver and the drawing for a woofer enclosure and put it into CAD program (SolidWorks) and merging them into a single floorstander.

I saw something karsonator based as subwoofer, but can't find it, can someone tell me where I can find it? Or if there are different designs out there, I'm looking for something to put an 8" sub into.

(Can't seem to find the EDIT button for my post above)

I found the woofer design I had seen before but it's dual driver, so I'm still looking for any single 8" driver woofer design that goes as low as possible to merge with the mini karlsonator into a floorstander, if someone can point me into the right direction :)

Last edited:
I found the woofer design I had seen before but it's dual driver, so I'm still looking for any single 8" driver woofer design that goes as low as possible to merge with the mini karlsonator into a floorstander, if someone can point me into the right direction :)
As X indicated - you are probably thinking of the XKi enclosure – it looks like a mini Karlsonator because of the same K-aperture, but a different design. And yes, maybe a good option as a subwoofer or helper woofer for what you intend to do. XKi thread starts here: XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Examples of subwoofer options, but both are dual driver:
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
You will have to try and find a suitable 8” driver and bribe X to do a simulation for you. The only 8” mentioned in that thread is the Eminence Beta 8cx coaxial – but that is a FR driver. The Dayton RS225-8 looks like it can work. It works very well in a sealed enclosure and is used in X’s famous FAST build – the 10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor.

Last edited:
tb46 came up with a very small K-ish offet driver cabinet for a 15" and it will scale downwards (check with hornresp)

being little and with not much front chamber, it lacks the upper bass gain potential of the original Karlson - but should make a cute sub or helper woofer.

Also, a regular K12 could have its vent sealed and use an inexpensive but good dual voice coil MCM woofer which the late Marshall Leach employed in a sub sat system.

zu3QwzS.jpg

Scaled at 0.8X for a Dayton PA310, its only 38 liters airspace

g25zuz3.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Somehow I dented one of my 3FE25’s while messing around with my build (currently one speaker completed) and a wondering if it will change the sound?

I don’t really want to wait for part express to snail mail me a new speaker but the OCD in me might not like knowing one of them is dented.

Should I order a new one?

Attachments

• 5E1D5279-BC92-45E0-8DE4-8A46FEDCC042.jpeg
    5E1D5279-BC92-45E0-8DE4-8A46FEDCC042.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 390
Only way to find out is to listen to it. Mount it as the top driver in a pair, close to the narrow end of the K-aperture where you will hardly see it.

When you hear the superior soundstage of Karlsonators, you'll probably forget about the dent. And if it keeps bothering you, replace it at a later stage.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If won’t change the sound much as long as its not perforated. You might be able to pull it out with something tacky like bluetac adhesive dots. Or 3M “control” art hanging adhesive strips. Or as I have heard someone mention, their girlfriend gave it a good kiss and it popped out. :)

Like Twocents said, mount it on the upper one and you won’t see it. I have the same issue on one of mine. Results of a finger poke by a curious 2 year old.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I finally finished putting my dual 3FE25’s together. This project proves that my arts and crafts skills are not very strong as they are very sloppy. I guess that's what happens when I am watching football and not really paying enough attention to straight cuts or the hot glue gun.

That being said, I am rather impressed with how they sound. They do not dig as deep as I hoped. Once they go below 100hz there isn't much left but it's okay, I have a sub to fill it in. I was very surprised how these little speakers can fill up the room with sound. They seem to have more high end detail then my Alpair 10p's, and the measurements confirm that. Sometimes voices seem a bit underwhelming but maybe it's the dip in the midrange on the measurements. I don't listen to much music with signing in it anyways.

Do these measurements look right? Do you see them and see some obvious thing I can do to bring in more bass or have more midrange? Disclosure - I am not a measurement pro and these are not perfect measurement conditions but I think they are close enough to make some observations.

I didn't follow the plans perfectly because I used the fold and score plans for the TC9FD's and just made the baffle (if that's what you call it) big enough to hold my speakers.

Attachments

• Karlson.PNG
    Karlson.PNG
    271.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Karlson.JPG
    Karlson.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 300